Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bus guy wrote:
Here's one I just picked up, Indian Red '60. Has both correct aprons and nice original interior, but needs repairs to channels.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does anyone know if the "pleats" like in these pictures are typically sewn in during production or is this something that is tacked into the padding? I found a company in Germany that make covers and is significantly less than their counterparts here in the U.S. but they are smooth, having no pleats.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961: need interior upholstery confirmations Reply with quote

Where can find absolute info on what 1960 seats would be? I have a black model. The birth cert says: Fur Grey, or Real Red Leatherette.

I have seen no sources for what the Fur Grey pattern would be, and I don't know if the Real Red Leatherette is the slightly faded version (seen with creme middle door insert stripe, and creme piping) or a richer, darker or brighter red. I have seen all three done (faded, bright, or darker), but on restored cars so I don't know if it was a personal choice or authenticity based.

Should the door panels be 2 tone (with the middle creme stripe)? Or solid. I am assuming they should be 2 tone.

Any experts on all original Black 1960 interiors? Help. Embarassed
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where can find absolute info on what 1960 seats would be? I have a black model. The birth cert says: Fur Grey, or Real Red Leatherette.

I have seen no sources for what the Fur Grey pattern would be, and I don't know if the Real Red Leatherette is the slightly faded version (seen with creme middle door insert stripe, and creme piping) or a richer, darker or brighter red. I have seen all three done (faded, bright, or darker), but on restored cars so I don't know if it was a personal choice or authenticity based.

Should the door panels be 2 tone (with the middle creme stripe)? Or solid. I am assuming they should be 2 tone.

Any experts on all original Black 1960 interiors? Help.

Attached are some pics from page 15 of this thread showing an original red interior, the doors were two tone.

Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Can I bump this headlight question Very Happy
My car was a Germany delivery.

Is fluted correct? I can't find any posts about what headlights are correct.

Raesunshine9 wrote:

These headlights look incorrect for a Euro model, can someone please help me confirm they should be fluted?

sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

I believe Euro builds were all fluted. The glass was changed to non-fluted if it was delivererd to the USA (unknown to me what other countries required non-fluted lenses.)
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

If you do swap over to fluted lenses and have any intention of driving the car at night, you'll also need to swap over to non-sealed beam headlamps.
pdaddy68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Hey guys quick question. I see a registry for pre-53
Is there one for the 60-61's ? Im curious because I have a long lost love 1961 beetle I have looked for for 30 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

Does anyone know if the "pleats" like in these pictures are typically sewn in during production or is this something that is tacked into the padding? I found a company in Germany that make covers and is significantly less than their counterparts here in the U.S. but they are smooth, having no pleats.

The "pleats" are due to a thin pad onto which the fabric is adhered. The three dimples on the seat bottoms are sewn in.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

The "pleats" are due to a thin pad onto which the fabric is adhered. The three dimples on the seat bottoms are sewn in.

Very cool. Thank you.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

I assume Bugs are the same but the dimple in my original Type 3 fabric seats are made with a piece of thread that loops up from below.

It actually looks sort of crude in person.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1769339
and
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1769338

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aut58
Samba Member

Location: 77/4 m.13 t.sunkumpang a.sunkumpang chiangmai thailand 50130

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

BUGWHEEL wrote:
Hi All,
I have April 1960 vin #3033885

I really would like to clear up any doubt it has the original vin body tag.

Numbers match, but some guy is telling it can't be right. So from what I understand from searching the Samba in mid Marth 1960 the tag was changed. I am going to look at the apron to see if it has the the three stamp one. But here is a image of the vin. Please post your mid March on 1960 body vin plate to compare.

Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Great thread,
Here is my 1960 vw beetle . The previous owner owned it for 36 years. Mainly original including the original 36 hp 1200 cc engine.
I am told it is a flint gray color L440 with water blue interior.
Po said as far as the interior goes its original except for the following being changed
main part of headliner
Side carpet front
Seat material changed on top but backing is original.
Car has gray carpets on the side and what looks like a faded tan mat with the rear faded original german square weave that now looks almost tan carpet and one piece under dash that is original looking tan.

1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)

Last edited by Bigjacksauto on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

sonoma_vw wrote:
I believe Euro builds were all fluted. The glass was changed to non-fluted if it was delivererd to the USA (unknown to me what other countries required non-fluted lenses.)

thanks! that's what I thought, but I needed someone to agree with me before I bought new ones Very Happy
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Hello,

I’m trying to locate a fabric supplier who carries the #53 ‘Fur Grey’, or an owner of a Black or India Red 1960 who has original Fur Grey seat covers that they are getting rid of. I will take used fabric in whatever condition, even just a few inches.

Razz This could be why I rarely see Black or India Red ‘60’s restored with this color.

(Credit to Bus Guy for the car interior shots)
Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Does anyone know where to buy 1960 sun visors?
I've been searching for about 6 months, and I'm not having any luck Sad
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Nobody is making copies of the ribbed/pinstriped 1960 only visors. Crying or Very sad
Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

sonoma_vw wrote:
Nobody is making copies of the ribbed/pinstriped 1960 only visors. Crying or Very sad

and so it continues.... Sad
My car actually had the 59 visors in it when I got it.

My cars production was Dec 31 1959, think theres any chance it was built with 59 visors?
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

I think the answer is yours is a ‘60, as the manuf year turnover started in August the previous year.
What was the birthcolor? I’ve got a black Euro 60, which came with the “fur grey” pinstripe cloth (only offered on the black and India Red models), and that’s another thing that is virtually impossible to locate. (Nobody is replicating that pattern cloth) Shocked
Tarbaby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

I’ve had this 61 for a few years now, just sitting in my dusty shop. Just need to find time between other projects for a restoration.
reicholzheimer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

I recently bought this 1960 bug and it is missing the engine lid spring. Are all lid springs the same or are the earlier ones different. Thanks Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 30

Jump to: