Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

reicholzheimer wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I recently bought this 1960 bug and it is missing the engine lid spring. Are all lid springs the same or are the earlier ones different. Thanks Brian

There’s a one piece spring, and a two piece spring, you need the one piece spring.
Aaron Williams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Our 1960 original paint Jade Green Beetle.

Chassis number shows it as a July of 1960 and engine number is August of 1959. It's all original and it's also a European beetle that was imported to the U.S. so it has semaphores but they are currently filled in.
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Taking apart the cardboard behind the rear seat as it was destroyed on these seat covers I recently acquired. Surprised to find that in the bottom corners of the cardboard on the backside is a triangle of original cloth that was stitched into the cardboard/vinyl and also glued down to the cardboard.

I reached out to a buddy of mine that also has a 60 and he checked some seat covers he recently got and it's the same on his. I've never seen this before and figured it may help someone who is doing a correct restoration.

These are the best pics I could get.

stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

The factory was notorious for using whatever scraps they had left over for use on various interior parts. My 58 had euro scraps of cloth under the rear seat cover when I took it apart as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

@stale air for sure. My buddy that checked and saw his also had the triangle cloth in the same spots turns out that cloth is off a green 1960 bug which his seats are also for a indigo blue 60 bug. They definitely used whatever scraps they had laying around. I just wonder why go through the extra steps to put it in there in the first place unless it added some sort of extra strength or support.
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Awesome info regarding scraps. If anyone with a ‘60 wants to check in that same location on their back seat... I need a scrap of the brown pinstripes that came in the Black and India Red models. (Fabric manufacturer can reproduce if they have a scrap) Embarassed

sleepywiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

The upholstery in in the black and red cars in 1960 was called "Pelzgrau" which means "fur grey", color code P137.
The material turns into green- or brown over time. The seats in my black '60 look green.
Interesting to see that even your sample has changed its color Surprised
So please be aware that the scraps under the back seats might not be a reliable sample.

Here in Germany there is only green and blue available. Nobody reproduces the grey version Rolling Eyes
I even thought about weaving it myself Laughing
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

If my chassis was built in Sept of '59, which front trans mount would it have? In searching and reading every post I could find, I found mention that the "one year only" mount was actually only installed for a 6 month period. I'm really hoping I lucked out and my car is early enough to not have the one year only mount.

here's a pic.
i'm hoping this adapter will work as I have a later gearbox

72 Westy
60 Sedan
79 Vert
sleepywiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Your car has the rare trans mount. My early Oct '59 does too.

https://www.limebug.com/product/view/3414/t1-1960-only-beetle-front-gearbox-mount

I doubt that the adaptor will work. Problem is that you have to cut one bolt off the mount to get the trans in. Just the way it is already done on your car. Welding isn't an option either because it will destroy the rubber.

Maybe there is a special front cover for later gearboxes available in the US?
Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

http://ranchotransaxles.com/shop/type-2-nose-cone/
1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72alpinewhitebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

sleepywiesel wrote:
Your car has the rare trans mount. My early Oct '59 does too.

https://www.limebug.com/product/view/3414/t1-1960-only-beetle-front-gearbox-mount

I doubt that the adaptor will work. Problem is that you have to cut one bolt off the mount to get the trans in. Just the way it is already done on your car. Welding isn't an option either because it will destroy the rubber.

Maybe there is a special front cover for later gearboxes available in the US?

You are exactly correct. The studs coming off the horseshoe are way too wide for the bolt holes. The EMPI adapter is not compatible with a 1960. A fact for posterity.
Now I'm back to some very unappealing options...

72 Westy
60 Sedan
79 Vert
reicholzheimer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Engine stumbles under load Reply with quote

I have a fresh rebuild 36 up 1960. Engines sounds great and revs good. At 40 mph and on it will only build speed very slowly. No power! I had it to a vw shop and they did a tune with points plugs, valves, etc. Carb looks rebuilt but not sure of dirt. Carb isn28 PIC original and dirt is Bosch JFK 4, 023116030 hard to read plate .Is this correct dist? Thanks. Brian
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Can you post a photo of the distributor?
023116030 looks like one too few digits to be a valid number.

This is the distributor a 36hp Beetle engine should have:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reicholzheimer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Here's a picture. Numbers are a little worn.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

It looks like you have a centrifugal distributor, like out of a Bus or industrial engine.
It should work ok too unless the advance on it is sticking or the timing is off.

Can you see what number is in the middle of the tag - Maybe 211 905 285F or 211 905 205F?

Since it doesn't have a vacuum advance, any vacuum advance connection on the carb needs to be plugged off.
Do you have 28 PCI carb?
There is a vacuum advance connection on the side by the generator.
If it's plugged off it should have a screw in there like this carb in the lower right:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reicholzheimer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Yes I do remember seeing the screw. These are pictures I have with me now. I'm away from home and will be back Monday. As for the distributor the numbers are a little rough to read. 0231 116 030. 36205f are the last half. I can repost when I get home with better numbers. I would like a vacuum advance if that's what I should have if correct. Thanks for your help.

SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

My wife and I recently acquired this Swedish 1961. Purchased in '61 by the original owner (Karin Olsson) who was 61 years old! She blew the engine up after a couple of years and the dealer replaced the engine, she then blew the engine up again in '76 and it has been in a barn since then. When the original owner passed away the car was handed down, possibly moved but we don't think it was ever driven again. We purchased the car from a guy in Belgium who had purchased the car from the family and made it roadworthy again before putting it up for sale. It has had a later industrial engine fitted along with a new fuel tank, lines and all new brake components. It needed 2 very small repairs to the body (end of channel on passenger and one wing/fender threaded insert section). We think the drivers side wing/fender has been replaced and the front 1/4 looks to have had some paint but other than that it appears to be all original. The interior is in excellent shape, we feel very lucky to own it. We are chasing a couple of small electrical gremlins (horn and headlights don't work, sidelights and main beam do) as you would expect from a 6v system and we currently registering it for the road in the U.K. We drove it to the test centre today and it drove lovely. We can't wait for the registration documents to arrive to drive it properly Smile

More pictures are on my flickr album here - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmBWy5ji

Steve.
Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Steve w nice find 👍
1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

72alpinewhitebus wrote:
If my chassis was built in Sept of '59, which front trans mount would it have? In searching and reading every post I could find, I found mention that the "one year only" mount was actually only installed for a 6 month period. I'm really hoping I lucked out and my car is early enough to not have the one year only mount.

here's a pic.
i'm hoping this adapter will work as I have a later gearbox

Where you looking for a 1960 mount or looking to install a newer stronger non split case transmission?

The Rancho bus nose cone and hockey stick works very well for installing a newer stronger transmission in a 1960 beetle. Finally got around to installing this nose cone on my 1960 beetle , worked out very well. Very Happy
http://ranchotransaxles.com/shop/type-2-nose-cone/
1960 Beetle deluxe / Flint/Pebble Grey og 1200cc 36hp
1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Need confirmation of stock wheel colors for a 60 bug. Black outer and ‘parchment’ inner? (The tech paint guide does not cover wheel colors for a black June 1960 bug)

Thank you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 30

Jump to: