Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
you need a one year only...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/372919723137

it is the right one, you see all clips are broken off. But that is how it looks.
It seems there are no repros on the market.

I have an NOS badge it’s the actual retaining clips that hold the badge on I’m looking for 🙂
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:
pastellgreen wrote:

it is the right one, you see all clips are broken off. But that is how it looks.

I have an NOS badge it’s the actual retaining clips that hold the badge on I’m looking for 🙂

ok, ok, lost in translation....

Here they are:
https://www.kaeferland-shop.de/zubehoer-accessoire...-bj.-08/60
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
SteveW wrote:
pastellgreen wrote:

ok, ok, lost in translation....

Here they are:
https://www.kaeferland-shop.de/zubehoer-accessoire...-bj.-08/60

Cool thanks!
PTZ075
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Hi!

If i know fender beading set was black in 1960, isn't it?

I've check old photos but I'm not sure of it.
The most original, patina car have black, but some cases I saw colored versions.
Not every color has matched the fender beading set?

Beryl green has color matched the fender beading sets and the running board mats too. But for example the Arctic? This color has black fender beadings and black running board mats?

Every car has H apron in 1960? Or late 60's which originalli 61 model year has newer apron?
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

PTZ075 wrote:
Hi!

The most original, patina car have black, but some cases I saw colored versions.

Beryl green has color matched the fender beading sets and the running board mats too. But for example the Arctic? This color has black fender beadings and black running board mats?

Every car has H apron in 1960? Or late 60's which originalli 61 model year has newer apron?

In August 60 they switched to the new model. Until August, all models had black beading and the H apron. Up from August, the cars had coloured beading and the smooth apron.
Arctic belongs to the models before August, beryl was after August.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PTZ075
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
PTZ075 wrote:
Hi!

In August 60 they switched to the new model. Until August, all models had black beading and the H apron. Up from August, the cars had coloured beading and the smooth apron.
Arctic belongs to the models before August, beryl was after August.

Thank you so much.

Peanut front turn singals used only from August if i think well, so this is came with 61 model year.
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Paint questions for 1960 bug:

1) were the trunk latch striker plates painted? and if so, gloss or satin, or...?

2) what was the original paint finish of OEM engine tin? semi-gloss or gloss, or....? Is there a certain percentage of gloss?

I'm in the finishing stages of my black bug getting painted, and these are the last few doodads.

Please help if you can. Thanks!
dmeffert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Hey guys. I have a '61 ragtop and I have got terrific advice from you all in the past. Quick question. I have the correct '61 steering wheel and horn, and it works great, except somewhere in the past I think someone just wailed the heck out of the horn ring, and the arms that come out from the center are visibly twisted downwards as they go across the wheel. Other than that, the ring has perfect chrome and no other cracks. It is actually digging in to my steering wheel and I need to figure out how to correct it without doing more harm than good. Has anyone straightened one of these, or do you have a rec for someone to send it to?
Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

dmeffert wrote:
Hey guys. I have a '61 ragtop and I have got terrific advice from you all in the past. Quick question. I have the correct '61 steering wheel and horn, and it works great, except somewhere in the past I think someone just wailed the heck out of the horn ring, and the arms that come out from the center are visibly twisted downwards as they go across the wheel. Other than that, the ring has perfect chrome and no other cracks. It is actually digging in to my steering wheel and I need to figure out how to correct it without doing more harm than good. Has anyone straightened one of these, or do you have a rec for someone to send it to?

I had these guys help me with my 1960 wheel. Maybe they could help?

http://www.kochssteeringwheels.com/productcart/pc/mainIndex.asp
Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this is a factory hole on a German 1960?
I can't remember what I took out of this hole a few years ago, and I'm trying to put my dash back together.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Raesunshine9 wrote:
I can't remember what I took out of this hole a few years ago, and I'm trying to put my dash back together.

No, the hole is def. not from factory. Check page 5 from my thread, you'll see what work I had removing all these non factory holes and hacks on my '60s (Model year '61) dash.
Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Raesunshine9 wrote:

No, the hole is def. not from factory. Check page 5 from my thread, you'll see what work I had removing all these non factory holes and hacks on my '60s (Model year '61) dash.

Ya, I just wasn’t sure if it was something from a German delivery model. I know my dash is different - like I don’t get the handle at the glove box, so I wasn’t sure if that hole was something special in that regard.

Emergency lights, or fresh air were the two options I was thinking.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

The only dash differences between model years 60 and 61 are the missing handle at 60 and the missing Choke at 61. The warning lights have been added much later. When it came to law, Germans added their warning lights like you see on your dash. But this was never done like that through the factory.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Probably a cigarette lighter that someone added?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
The only dash differences between model years 60 and 61 are the missing handle at 60 and the missing Choke at 61. The warning lights have been added much later. When it came to law, Germans added their warning lights like you see on your dash. But this was never done like that through the factory.

I’m picturing my semaphores flapping trying to take flight Laughing
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Raesunshine9 wrote:
pastellgreen wrote:

I’m picturing my semaphores flapping trying to take flight Laughing

But back days, the Germans added their warning lights while removing the semaphores...
63kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Im in the midst of fixing up my 60 - Nearly all original, engine transmission, interior paint, door panels, all exterior body panels. It had an AC unit early in life- other than the compressor mounts, holes in the body and rust damage from where the hoses ran under the left side there is nothing left of that. Kisselgrau paint- beautiful on interior - (exterior spray painted 6 colors by a child).
3 finger front apron.
VIN 29296XX

Ill post some photos later- Im doing battle with pulling the choke cable at the moment- the OG put in a section of stainless tubing running through the passenger compartment to replace the cable some decades ago and since I have to pull the engine to do a bumper bracket repair I figured why not put in a new cable?
Answer- the old one seems to be stuck HARD in the tube. I have a new one with housing but so far the old one isn't moving. Can one of you fine people point me at the inevitable thread discussing choke cable replacement?
1968 Bug (first car- $100 03/04/80- still have it)
1972 Super Beetle
1973 Thing
1976 Type 2 (family heirloom)
1977 Westy
1981 911 SC Targa
1987 Westy
Gone but not forgotten - 63 Bug, 63 356, 64 Bug, 64 Sunroof Bug, 64 Kombi, 65 Bug, 66 Bug (2x), 66 Sunroof Bug, 67 Bug, 67 912 Targa, 69 Bug, 70 Bug, 70 Bus, 71 914, 74 412 Wagon, 74 412 Sedan.
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Does anyone have the original 2-tone grey vinyl seats? I am trying to get a color match for the darker grey (would be the seat sides and backs). - I'm bummed that the 2 browns the weaver chose are so far off of the original "fur" sample material. Embarassed

But I'd love to get a paint chip from a store matched by the owner of that original darker grey vinyl seat. That way i could know what hue to get.
Thanks for your help.

veerok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Hi! - just like to add mine into the mix and see if I can find out a little more info.

VIN 2 549 765 - Manufacture date 18th August 1959

Mine is a 1960 model Indigo Blue (L436) Beetle originally from Sweden, it's never had semaphores so it's similar to US spec, which I believe was a Swedish thing.

I've had the car for a few years now and it's had the body off, original pans repaired, brakes reworked, reconditioned pedal box, recovered seats, new rubber matts, replaced wings, deck lid, new wiring loom, got original snowflake lights and have just put a '59 engine in (not matching numbers but close enough for me!).

I've found the '60 model really quirky, much more challenging than imagined! Currently after getting the engine in I discovered about the 2 degree inclination of the engine for only this year and I believe this is causing the muffler to sit tight to the apron. I do have the red dipstick! but I will need to tweek the muffler. I wondered, does anyone have an original exhaust they can share a picture of - do they look any different? Any assistance with this would be great!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

veerok wrote:
Hi! - just like to add mine into the mix and see if I can find out a little more info.

VIN 2 549 765 - Manufacture date 18th August 1959

Mine is a 1960 model Indigo Blue (L436) Beetle originally from Sweden, it's never had semaphores so it's similar to US spec, which I believe was a Swedish thing.

I've had the car for a few years now and it's had the body off, original pans repaired, brakes reworked, reconditioned pedal box, recovered seats, new rubber matts, replaced wings, deck lid, new wiring loom, got original snowflake lights and have just put a '59 engine in (not matching numbers but close enough for me!).

I've found the '60 model really quirky, much more challenging than imagined! Currently after getting the engine in I discovered about the 2 degree inclination of the engine for only this year and I believe this is causing the muffler to sit tight to the apron. I do have the red dipstick! but I will need to tweek the muffler. I wondered, does anyone have an original exhaust they can share a picture of - do they look any different? Any assistance with this would be great!

and perhaps that might help:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444274
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 30

Jump to: