Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I use a different wiper switch for my 61
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Can I use a different wiper switch for my 61 Reply with quote

61 bug is a 1 year only due to the bellow on the back to pump for washer fluid. I put in a reserve tank with small 12V motor. Switch is bad. Just need to be able to turn on wipers low and high and use wires that are there. Is that possible?
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago when I converted my 61 over to 12 volt I used the switch, motor, and washer bottle all out of a 67 bug. Pretty simple change over, but you have to use your original 61 wiper linkage with the 67 motor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you can. You can use the 62-66 wiper switch as a single speed replacement. Even use a solid knob so it will look correct for 61. (without the center washer button).

You mentioned you have low and high? Has it been changed over all ready to a 2 speed wiper motor?
67 was the first year for 2 speeds.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird about the 2 speed because my switch, which is the correct 61 only, has 2 speeds. The problem is that the internal mechanism is real worn so it goes right past slow to high. On the bench test with the whole wiper motor out we can get it off-slow-high. Once it's installed, the switch is so worn it goes right to fast then it won't return to off. You have to turn it to the right to tighten the knob then turn it back real hard. Most times it starts to unscrew so then you shut the power, turn knob to right to tighten then quickly turn to left and it truns off. Ordering a new wiper switch asap. A later year model for sure. I don't plan it to be in the rain much, I just want them to work. Thanks
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen nor heard of a 1961 wiper switch with two speeds. What terminal numbers are on your switch? If you have 54 numbered terminals on it, it's a single speed switch. Two-speed switches have terminal 53's on them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to find out the switch was so worn it was acting like it had a slower speed. There is off then on but if you turn it back a little it was slower. Just a bad switch that was acting up.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I suspected as much!
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piggy-back on this thread...

I am restoring my 61 and want to stay as original as possibble. So I just received a NOS bellow pump switch from Don West aka wiperguy (excellent chap to deal with!) but can't figure out how to set up the water lines. I was expecting an inlet and outlet on the pump but there is only one nipple. Is it a water pump or an air pump?

I thought it was supposed to pull water from the tank and forward it to the water jet?

Is there a diagram somewhere? Thanks
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a special "T-valve" with two check balls in it, when you pump on the bellows, if the valve is installed in the proper position (they are gravity check balls to some extent) then the pump action will first pull water past the first check ball as the bellows expands (let off on the knob) then when you recompress the bulb it will lock the supply ball valve and open the outlet ball valve and send water to the sprayer on the dashboard.

This special valve is shown here:

This is an old Service Manual photo that happens to show the T-valve. It's kind of odd seeing the hose in virgin clear vinyl. I've only ever seen them in faded orange/yellow like that one above. (which came out of my very first 61 Bug - the switch however is an NOS accessory style)

The 12-59 Technical Bulletin found here talks about these back when those were still an accessory item (the switch shown above with the screw terminals is such an accessory item, the 1961-only switch is similar just with push-on terminals, I think after the 61 switch came out they just produced a variant of it for retrofit kits on older cars to replace the switches found in kits made previously) and at that time the special T-valve had a VW part number of 141955975. I'm not sure if it was still the same in 1961 though.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/techbulletins/z13.php

Lastly, the accessory catalog shows one of those T-valves and a swtich that looks a little different from the 61-only style but is functionally the same:

-Andy

beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,

So the rubber pump never sees any water? Just pressurizes air? Oh boy, I thought I had everything ordered, where am I going to find this T connector now?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used modern vacuum check valves in place of the ball "T" valve.

Did the Ghia use a similar system at one point? I ask this as I found 3 bellows 61 type switches at a swap meet no too long ago. All are different but function the same.
Maybe another German car?
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is still unclear to me whether the pump itself gets filled with water or is it just air that is compressed there for pulling power. Can someone please explain?

Thanks,
Eitan
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, It acts as a partial resevoir for the actual pump shot of fluid out of the washer jet. Cant compress a liquid.
If you think about the way it works washer fluid in the bellow is inevitable, and somewhat neccessary. The bellow may not fill completely, but will end up with liquid in it.

The system is filled. (tank, hoses, and bellow).
The vacuum in the system is supplied when the knob is at rest (in).
Fluid moves up the line past the check valve toward the bellow.
You pull the knob to compress the bellow, move the fluid back to seat the check valve and reroute the fluid to the jet.
Push the knob back in to recreate the vacuum, seat the check valve for the jet so you dont pull air through the jet, and refill the system.

Have a good bellow or the system is useless.
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Thu May 19, 2011 6:00 am; edited 3 times in total
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken for clarifying that. I had a hunch this is a primitive (yet cool) sytem that will only work if new so I got a NOS bellow. The problem now is finding the T valve.

I know this is a one year only system, still I find it strange there are no pictures or diagrams of such a properly hooked up system on Samba.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that techincal bulletin plus that page from the accessories manual are all from theSamba Archives. Not exactly the same as the 61, but it was what the 61 was descended from.

The first few photos are mine and hosted on my own FTP, but I created those images just for when people ask about this sort of thing, this is not the first time I've posted them! I think there may have been previous threads where other people had their own photos.

I saw a complete system, switch/bulb, hoses, T-valve, for sale not long ago but can't remember where - eBay or Classifieds, I looked a little but didn't come up with it.

-Andy
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the great people here on Samba, I was able to restore the one-year only 1961 fully functional NOS wiper/washer system! Thank you Andy, Ken, and Don (wiperguy) for all the help.

After finding out I was missing the T valve to get the system working, I contacted Don (from whom I bought all the NOS parts), and he sent me one for free!

With Andy's invaluable help providing all the images from the Bentley guide, I was able to hook it all up and it worked beautifully on the first try!

As I moaned that I couldn't find pictures of a hooked up system on Samba, I'm adding my own here for other people to see and learn.

The special rarer than rocking horse poo T valve

The lower hose goes to the bellows pump, the upper to the water jet nipple

A closeup of the bellows pump/switch
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up that these 61 only switches were not just 61 in other parts of the world, my 66 has one fitted and I just found a NOS switch in my parts stash.

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I think we had them in NZ up to '68; useless bloody things Laughing

Bellows and tee valves, can't give 'em away...
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how that came about, did VW have a few pallets of leftover wiper switches at the end of 61 and needed to unload them, so they shipped 'em down under til they ran out? Wink
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I had posted earlier. I have found a few different, but simliar variations of the 61 type switch. Curious how many other vehicles actually used these bellow switches, not just VW. I could easily beleive that these were used for many years before 61, beyond 61 and on many vehicles due to its universal design.
Usually and often edited
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: