Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Roof-top Storage Bag Options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof-top Storage Bag Options Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
I did the opposite with my skybox: mounted it more forward to mimic the superior aerodynamic shape of the Dehler Profi high top. I also fill the luggage rack flush to the top with our folding kitchen.

This netted me a gain of ~2 mpg on a 1500 mile trip across southern BC to Alberta and back. A pleasant surprise. Cool

Folding kitchen? What do you use for that, any info?

We got it at REI a few years ago. It looks a little like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/The-Coleman-Company-20000202...&psc=1

It folds up and fits into a black nylon carry bag that fits beautifully in the luggage rack beside our yellow plastic levelling wedges, turning an aerodynamic liability into a neutral area.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof-top Storage Bag Options Reply with quote

pdm777 wrote:
-Jake-
show us a photo of cargo box in forward position.

Cannot visualize how throwing it forward into the slipstream
will improve aero. Doesn't this make popping the top difficult?

Is this what you had in mind? photoshop hack :

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I slammed my box right down to the top fiberglas.
Having a box stick up with airflow going under the box is NG for aero.

I'll have to transfer a photo from my phone, so don't hold your breath! Shocked Its much further back than that, a little further rearward that the front of the poptop, to mimic the Dehler Profi in those VW T3 wind tunnel test photos.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330561
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof-top Storage Bag Options Reply with quote

UPDATE: This bag did not last long, as might have been expected from the super cheap price. The straps have deteriorated and some of the fabric has failed. Just wanted everyone to know that this bag is not a good solution. Although I must admit it's been up there the entire time since I installed it, so maybe I'm asking too much.

epbiggs wrote:
I found a bag that is almost the exact footprint of the luggage rack and has 8 straps that are in the exact location of the built-in tie downs. It claims to be waterproof and UV resistant, but we'll see in the long run how it does. I carry a couple of folding chairs, a rug, a folding table, some leveling blocks and my ARB screen room & 3-wall tent up there and wanted to give some protection from the rain/snow, but especially the harsh Colorado UV rays. As you can see from the pictures, there is a lot more room if I need to put more stuff in there and if I'm willing to have it stick up higher. I'm actually pretty impressed with the quality considering how inexpensive it is. It's only $20 with free (slow - about 2 weeks) shipping from AliExpress in China. It seems to be similar to the Rola but with more straps and less than half the price. In case anyone is interested, here's a link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000275922154.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.88bc4c4dFTVYEt
You can supposedly get $19 in free coupons by registering here: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/2B9IaXqY
I just installed it this morning and will let you know how it holds up after it's been up there a while.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Roof-top Storage Bag Options Reply with quote

I purchased the Rola bag maybe 5 years ago. I would be surprised if I put 1000 mi on it. I use it to store my camping chairs mostly. The van is garage-kept off season. Last season, I noticed I was getting quite a bit of moisture in the bag. I thought I left the zipper open a little. I didn't. This season, the bag flooded. The bag just deteriorated and let in water and several locations.

Consider other options.

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: