Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaeltag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

Would love to hear anybody’s experience with Buddy propane heaters that are advertised to be safe to use indoors.
We are considering purchasing one as a backup to our Propex, and also to be able to use in other locations. I’ve seen them mentioned in Vanagon forums before but didn’t have a reason to pay particular attention at the time.
Thanks in advance.
• GoWesty Plate Steel Bumpers w/ front skid plate & rear swing-away spare carrier
• Big Shot Shifter
• Transaxle rebuilt with taller heavy-duty 4th gear, GoWesty decoupler and oiler plates by Ken at Porter's Precision
* TruckFridge
• Propex Heater
• Vintage Air in-dash A/C
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

Ours works great! Our only source of heat on cold days/nights. It does have a built-in low O2 sensor with auto shutoff, but we still deploy a carbon monoxide detector when using the heater. We place our Buddy on the floor between the front seats.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

ALWAYS LEAVE A WINDOW OPEN! Preferably 2 for cross ventilation.
It will always create condensation on the inside of Vanagon just to help it rust from the inside out!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

I have had good luck with mine, but I only use it when I am awake. I will use it to warm up the van for a while in the evening, but I sleep in a zero degree bag if needed and don't rely on it for heat overnight. Then once I am awake - definitely awake - I will turn it back on in the am to take the edge off. Making or buying some insulating window covers makes a huge difference.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

Mine is fine. Mine heats up the bus. Mine makes everything inside the bus wet. I was slightly scared to have an open flame in the bus.

I switched to a diesel heater last year, and the Buddy now sits unused.

Only drawback of the diesel heater is that it sort of requires a house battery. I like the house battery I built, and I like the dry(er) heat it makes.

On a cost basis, if you don't want/need the house battery for other reasons, the Buddy is economical, compared to a CDH and battery.

I recommend getting a separate carbon monoxide detector for BOTH the Buddy and the CDH though.

-bobby
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

Why are you looking for a backup to the Propex? Concerned about: running out of propane? killing the battery? extra heat?

Just curious as I haven't thought of backing up the Propex. The moisture production burning propane inside the van sounds like a notable downside for Mr. Buddy.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

I found 5 Buddy Heater forum topics using the search "buddy +heater" title only. Did they leave questions unanswered?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

Our Mr Buddy heater wouldn't work above about 8,000 ft. Of course, that's where it gets cold...

So out it went, in with the CDH. That, together with the TF65 led to a LiFePO4 battery - oh the rabbit holes we fall down!
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

I like the buddy heater. It works fine using it like bobhill describes- to take the edge off in the morning, or if you're really cold in the middle of the day after a long winter hike, or for the whole process of getting ready for bed. If you're looking for climate control, it's not for that. It glamping, not mini-housing.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

i picked up a Mr. Buddy until i get the Propex. i only run it for an hour or so before bedtime and then for 30 minutes while reading. it does a good job of warming up the kitchen area with the top down, the skylight opened a few turns, and both front windows crack an inch or so.

my son and i won't be camping in the Westy with temps cold enough to need heat while we sleep until i get the Propex. the Mr. Buddy simply isn't able to heat the popped top enough to keep the whining at bay.

i'm not a fan of the smell, maybe that is because the unit is still new?

BiWerks Design, LLC
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

I picked one up last winter to take the chill out when driving back and forth, its ok for doing that, but I found it burns up those propane tanks really fast
ockyfib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

We have had a Mr Heater Little Buddy for a few years now and it's great. Only ever turn it on in the evenings and first thing in the morning when it's cold. Only take 10-15 mins to completely warm up the van, has an O2 sensor and goes out if it falls over, bit of condensation but not much more than camping with the windows shut. Definitely a way cheaper option that Propex if you plan to use it only infrequently.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

Ive used one while awake. Not confident enough to sleep with it on. Heats up the space but I prefer to boil water and let the heat/ moisture fill the van. Im in AZ though so no concern for mildew or fungus and a little extra moisture is pleasant.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

Too much condensation on inside windows which then turns to ice if it's cold enough. Not my favorite.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
j_dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

Unfortunately when burning hydrocarbons it creates water and CO2.

An unvented Mr Heater Little Buddy in your van will provide enough BTUs to keep you warm but it will also produce lots of water.

Ideally a vented type of heater that gets combustion air inside and dumps exhaust outside is what you need. Like an espar or webasto.

But for short term use it should be okay to kill the chill, with a window cracked open.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

I use mine as others have described: maybe if it's really cold in the evening or reading in bed before sleep, turn it off to sleep (under warm blankets) and then flick it on in the morning before getting out of bed, before I heat the water on the stove. Open skylight and maybe another window cracked. Works fine for me.
They use the 1# bottles so, to prevent having a bunch of bottles to throw away, get a refill adapter so you can refill the empty 1# bottles from your 20# propane grill bottles. https://smile.amazon.com/GASPRO-Coupler-Fits-Throw...NrPXRydWU=
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

had the buddy and Big Buddy.
Problem is, they take up space and spew out
moisture. And I worry about the safety.

Then I discovered Chinese Diesel Heaters.
A Ha! a Game Changer.

Now, I just push a button, set the thermostat
and have Clean, Safe Warm Air circulating.

Set a timer, or let it run all night.
Yes, I do have CO alarms and keep a window cracked
for safety.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy Heaters for Use in Vanagons? Please Share your Experience! Reply with quote

I used a Little Buddy while living in my van out in Colorado for years. I kept it up between the seats to keep the inside of the windshield from icing over. I'd sleep with my head toward the front of the van too. It gave plenty of heat to allow me to sleep with my head out of my -20 down bag. I ran a long hose connected to a 15lb propane tank out the side door.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: