Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2fast4u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 78 busses come with cats, why wouldnt mine have one?
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emission systems are slightly different for Ca. models. They have the cat. My '78 does not have one either.
2fast4u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much would it affect performance?
maximan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really doesn't.
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does the discoloration and cruddiness on the label look right?
The pump is maybe a bit over two years old and has maybe 10 hours use on it, mostly stationary in the yard.
I'm just worried it was overheating or something.
Since I took that photo this morning I've turned it around and put a rubber block between it and the bulkhead. Not optimal but it has changed the hammering to a tapping. It'll do for now.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alternator question here:
If i have a slow drain, and the charging system isnt the greatest, would the regulator have much of an effect on any of that?
i realize its important for charging etc, but would it cause the drain and the lack of good charge?

if its not that, i would be putting the discharge on my radio, which i am 85% sure is it, and the charging issue as a bad Alternator. does that make sense, and does that theory work?

Also, iv been reading up on the alternator, and wanted to upgrade, and was wondering if a 110 amp alternator (or close to it) would work well for keeping two batteries charged, and to run a 15-16 speaker system, nothing crazy, but lots of speakers, with a single 8-10 inch sub. i was also thinking about HIDs, foglights, and brighter tail light setups for visibility and being seen.
would 110 work for what im attempting to plan out?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smoovie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this clip/spring in the trans called? Anyone know where I can get one? Thanks.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratcamper: looks like a stain from a fuel drip.
Stu: disconnect the stereo and see if the draw stops, it's not often a reg can draw power when off but a bad alternator could, as for higher amps?, 70 is likely the best you'll get.
Smoovie: that's a throwout bearing retainer clip, every VW parts seller has them.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
smoovie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you busdaddy.

Edit: Are one of these it? I can't seem to find your wording.

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=113311287

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=020311187
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoovie wrote:
Thank you busdaddy.

Edit: Are one of these it? I can't seem to find your wording.

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=113311287

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=020311187

no and no. Buy a new throwout bearing if that spring broke and the TO is old. If it was a new spring that broke send the TO bearing back. They come with them.

113 141 177C
113 141 178C

Last edited by SGKent on Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smoovie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. It's old The Bay is a '71. Looks like an aftermarket engine block. I had to pull it to clean the gas tank and thats the way the clip was. I guess I'll buy a new one.

Thanks,
Gabe
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that spring may have just come off and you may be able to reuse it. They come with a new TO bearing and normally you replace the TO when you replace the clutch.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i got the westy a year ago, the guy had mentioned that the reason he parked the bus in the first place was because he hated having to charge it every few days, or after every time he got home. When i have disconnected the radio in the past, it hasn't solved the issue. what would the next idea be? the only things electrical that i have found are a set of reading lights, with a on off switch, a propane heater with no electrical connections, and a radio, and the radio came out before, not solving the issue. would any of the camping things like the fridge or the 120 volt converter affect it at all?

Thanks
Stuart

206-841-7324
[email protected]
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
when i got the westy a year ago, the guy had mentioned that the reason he parked the bus in the first place was because he hated having to charge it every few days, or after every time he got home. When i have disconnected the radio in the past, it hasn't solved the issue. what would the next idea be? the only things electrical that i have found are a set of reading lights, with a on off switch, a propane heater with no electrical connections, and a radio, and the radio came out before, not solving the issue. would any of the camping things like the fridge or the 120 volt converter affect it at all?

Thanks
Stuart

Stuart - anything that draws electricity will discharge the battery(s). If the battery(s) are weak they will fail quicker. The average life of a battery in North America is 40 months. Once you have elminated the known culprits then pull fuses and see which one sparks when you put it back. If the battery(s) are old they may discharge on their own even without being hooked up.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Thanks
Stuart

Stuart - anything that draws electricity will discharge the battery(s). If the battery(s) are weak they will fail quicker. The average life of a battery in North America is 40 months. Once you have elminated the known culprits then pull fuses and see which one sparks when you put it back. If the battery(s) are old they may discharge on their own even without being hooked up.

i have heard of the fuse idea before, but forgot about the spark aspect....i had heard pull it then see if the prob still happens, and i had heard if the battery cable sparks when you put it on then there is a discharge, but i never put the two together. ill try that and let ya know how it goes! thanks!

batteries were both good a cuple months ago, but ill be replacing them soon because they have been sitting a while and i get good used ones for about 20 bucks from work.

Stuart

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
[

batteries were both good a cuple months ago, but ill be replacing them soon because they have been sitting a while and i get good used ones for about 20 bucks from work.

Stuart

$20 per month for batteries
save up for six months and get two new batteries that will last for three years
aloha
tp
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
[

Stuart

$20 per month for batteries
save up for six months and get two new batteries that will last for three years
aloha
tp

actually the quality of batteries are pretty nice. i picked up a redtop optima for my golf a while back for around 15 bucks....still works about 3 months later, still strong. ill hold off on new ones for now. Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="busdaddy"]Ratcamper: looks like a stain from a fuel drip.

Well that's okay. It probably happened during the original car park installation or the downstream hose replacement I did whenever it was. Oh yes, when the progressive on the type 4 started messing up, so a bit under a year ago. That carburettor is still doing fine by the way, bolted on to its new host. except...

Another stupid question.

Both the 1800 type 4 and the EA81 (Subaru 1.8L OHV single port) had a tendency to blow smoke when I goose the accelerator or put it down in any more than a very gradual manner. It is far more noticeable on the EA81. The smoke kind of peters out after about 10 seconds or so. I'm guessing it's the accelerator pump has a bit too much squirt. Do I scale it down by knocking out the pump lever pin and putting it in the hole which provides less movement (top one? I'd know which way if I had it in front of me). I've heard using a different pump jet too, but I can't understand how that would reduce the charge, rather than just prolong it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart - take the batteries out of the bus. Check the water level if either is a type that requires water. Fully charge them. Let them sit three or four days and take them to Autozone, O'Reillys etc and do a free load test it. See if they are good. When a battery fails it is common for the plates to slowly disintegrate and fall down to the bottom of the battery. The debris causes the battery to discharge itself. Maybe one of the batteries is draining the other one as well as itself.
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another un-threadworthy question.

Roughly how long are the rear lap seatbelts?

I can't just buy one from a VW parts seller because the seatbelts need to bear the AS (Australian Standards) patch. Can't buy secondhand as that's illegal, so I need to get a new one which I honestly prefer anyway.

If you are wondering I can't use the old one for two reasons. First and foremost it was a badly installed lap sash. The top point went through the square tab thing that I think has something to do with the spare tyre. That wouldn't hold anyone. The other one is quite simply because I set it on fire while doing a rust repair. A tiny ball of slag must have gone on a long skip and found a nice cosy place to live.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 515

Jump to: