Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 202, 203, 204 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it was smoke and not water vapor? Anyhow, engine is still kind of breaking in a that low a mileage, so you may still get some blowby past the rings. Unless there are other bad indications, probabaly all is ok. I would check that the breather system is working well and that the valves are well adjusted.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: unknown part Reply with quote

what is the grey box/rectangle to the left of the sink?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a small forced air propane furnace for an RV or camper from here.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

so you don't think it was a vw camper part? thanks for responding, btw
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: smoking dip stick Reply with quote

ggaeta wrote:
Shocked after a 45 minute drive i checked my oil levels and notice that there was smoke coming from the dip stick tube. How bad is it? What does that indicate? It is a new engine with about 1500 miles on it. It had a tune up and oil change every 500 miles to break it in

Was there oil in it? Total miles so far?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

so you don't think it was a vw camper part? thanks for responding, btw

Depends on the camper, Westfalia never used them but later Adventurewagens and Rivieras did, if it's the one with the electronic spark it's a great little heater and nice to have in the bus on a cold night.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SkyLo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: 73 westy engine swap Reply with quote

Hope this is the right place..

73 westy 1679cc CB engine, removed. 2 head gaskets blown. Decided to rebuild my engine, ended up picking up a different one. 1700 EA code. Said to have been pulled from '73 Westy. Supposedly ran when it was pulled unknown time ago (6-10yrs or so) Friend suggested tearing it down and cleaning everything but i decided against it. If it bites me dog on. But I'm hoping it at least works. It turns over and has compression. I'm just takin the chance. Its holding oil so far. Theres a nipple on both heads that aren't on my previous motor (ventilation?), and 2 sensors i dont know about. Just hoping i could find out what I need.

Anyone know? (Sorry its still in duck tape. Its about an inch off the head, 3/8 or 1/2" around tube that looks like you could press a hose on.

'73 Westy

Last edited by SkyLo420 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrKamikazi wrote:
Ok got another question on my rebuild of my 2L GE bus engine. As stated before I am replacing my cam with a solid stock grind webcam, I am reusing the rockers and arms from before as they are fine (may have been replaced when PO rebuilt...so I got a set of chromoly push rods and solid lifters from the type4store, and Im wondering if I can just use the measurements from my old pushrods or if the geometry will still be off even though I am doing everything stock. I also got the stock size piston and cylinder set from type4store and am reusing the crankshaft and rods.

you should check the valve geometry.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 westy engine swap Reply with quote

SkyLo420 wrote:
Hope this is the right place..

73 westy 1679cc CB engine, removed. 2 head gaskets blown. Decided to rebuild my engine, ended up picking up a different one. 1700 EA code. Said to have been pulled from '73 Westy. Supposedly ran when it was pulled unknown time ago (6-10yrs or so) Friend suggested tearing it down and cleaning everything but i decided against it. If it bites me dog on. But I'm hoping it at least works. It turns over and has compression. I'm just takin the chance. Its holding oil so far. Theres a nipple on both heads that aren't on my previous motor (ventilation?), and 2 sensors i dont know about. Just hoping i could find out what I need.
[pic]
Anyone know? (Sorry its still in duck tape. Its about an inch off the head, 3/8 or 1/2" around tube that looks like you could press a hose on.

[pic]

The ones beside the intake ports are air injection ports, plug them with valve adjuster screws.
The sensors don't matter since you have a single carb and no smog equipment,............... except for the one in the pic I left in the quote, that's your oil pressure switch and you shouldn't run it with that disconnected.

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 westy engine swap Reply with quote

SkyLo420 wrote:

Do you have vacuum going to your power brake booster?
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Cylinder head vents from 1972 type 4 engine Reply with quote

The taped tubes on the cylinder heads indicate that the heads came from a
1972 type-4 Engine or, possibly a Porsche 914-4 Surprised

At one point in their life there were hoses from both heads that terminated
at the air filter housing. (Oil Bath filter)

The casting # inside the rocker box will verify this also.

in any event they were once used in a much lighter vehicle than the Bus.
SkyLo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: '73 westy engine swap Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch. I havent got it put up in the bus yet. Its all put together aside from the muffler & tried to get it mounted today but I have to change the flywheel and pressure plate stuff. The one on my old motor was type m210 and the new one is type m215. Its about a 3/8-1/2" thicker and the width of the teeth is wider. I have pictures of where all the wires go and getting the hang of working on it. Still learning a lot though.

'73 Westy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Clutch Disc diameter Reply with quote

Skylo,

There have been 3 different diameter flywheels used on these engines since
the intro in1972 for the U.S

210 72-74
215 74-75
228 76-79

You can use a 215 disc and pressure plate on a 210 flywheel but, not on a 228 flywheel.
Your 1973 Bus Transmission bell housing came stock (002) with 210 flywheel and clutch assembly. 74-75 was an oddball setup before going to the larger and beefier transmission along with bell housing, starter change and flywheel & clutch assembly.
SkyLo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 73 westy engine swap Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SkyLo420 wrote:

Do you have vacuum going to your power brake booster?

Yes theres vacuum to the brake booster. Only problem I've ever had with the brakes was a bad caliper that I ended up rebuilding along with installing new rotors.

'73 Westy
SkyLo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: 73 wety engine swap Reply with quote

another quetion, that black wire wound up and set aside in the picture comes out of what looks like a sensor in the head of the 3&4 side. my previous engine didn't have that either.

'73 Westy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 73 wety engine swap Reply with quote

SkyLo420 wrote:
another quetion, that black wire wound up and set aside in the picture comes out of what looks like a sensor in the head of the 3&4 side. my previous engine didn't have that either.

That engine was originally fuel injected and the small bolt shaped piece with the wire is the head temperature sender for the FI. Unscrew the sender or snip the wire if it bothers you.
SkyLo420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 73 wety engine swap Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SkyLo420 wrote:

That engine was originally fuel injected and the small bolt shaped piece with the wire is the head temperature sender for the FI. Unscrew the sender or snip the wire if it bothers you.

Right on thanks. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something i absolutely needed.

'73 Westy
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 westy engine swap Reply with quote

SkyLo420 wrote:
Thanks a bunch. I havent got it put up in the bus yet. Its all put together aside from the muffler & tried to get it mounted today but I have to change the flywheel and pressure plate stuff. The one on my old motor was type m210 and the new one is type m215. Its about a 3/8-1/2" thicker and the width of the teeth is wider. I have pictures of where all the wires go and getting the hang of working on it. Still learning a lot though.

learn about heater flaps and thermostat and get some fitted. The operating rod is missing = no flaps.
mpls_ham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Fuel pump question Reply with quote

The screw at the very top of my fuel pump has a washer/seal that is smashed and slightly leaking. What is the original washer made of and can I get it at a local FLAPS or hardware store?

1973 Beetle Convertable
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump question Reply with quote

mpls_ham wrote:
The screw at the very top of my fuel pump has a washer/seal that is smashed and slightly leaking. What is the original washer made of and can I get it at a local FLAPS or hardware store?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#hard-fiber-sealing-washers/=vulm7u
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 202, 203, 204 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 203 of 515

Jump to: