Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 318, 319, 320 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

threw my back out yesterday, so I thought I would get some opinion before messing with anything. here is what is going on...
2 weeks ago, got the bus out from storage, disconnected the battery tender, and drove to work. took it to lunch. end of the day, just a small click click of the starter, then nothing. Jumped it off the aux battery, got home, and saw alt was making 13 and change. figured I just did not drive long enough at lunch to keep things topped off
got it out yesterday, and click, then nothing. weird thing, turned on the headlights to see if I had any power at all, and no lights. turn key off, on , off on then headlight turn on when I hear a click of some relay probably.
check volts, and 12.53, wont start. put battery charger on, and try right away and it starts.
my guess is that my 3 year old battery gave up its cold cranking amps over the winter. I pill pull it and check when my old body is able. any other thoughts besides ground straps?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
threw my back out yesterday, so I thought I would get some opinion before messing with anything. here is what is going on...
2 weeks ago, got the bus out from storage, disconnected the battery tender, and drove to work. took it to lunch. end of the day, just a small click click of the starter, then nothing. Jumped it off the aux battery, got home, and saw alt was making 13 and change. figured I just did not drive long enough at lunch to keep things topped off
got it out yesterday, and click, then nothing. weird thing, turned on the headlights to see if I had any power at all, and no lights. turn key off, on , off on then headlight turn on when I hear a click of some relay probably.
check volts, and 12.53, wont start. put battery charger on, and try right away and it starts.
my guess is that my 3 year old battery gave up its cold cranking amps over the winter. I pill pull it and check when my old body is able. any other thoughts besides ground straps?

I'd suspect the battery is on it's way out as well. Clearly cleaning all the main grounds and battery posts wouldn't hurt either.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

^ yup. she had a hard winter. new battery solved my problem, I even bought a battery that fits under my vw plastic battery cover. snaps right on

anyone have a adhesive suggestion for some areas that are peeling away on my seat pedastals? the rubber?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It has been a few days since I posted my last stupid question, so I'm overdue. Here's my latest:

Late Bays have fuse boxes with 12 fuses. In Bentley's, it says to only replace fuses with ones of the same amperage. Duh. But that's not my stupid question.

Bentley's goes on to say, "If in doubt, consult the owners manual."

Okay, I did that. But the owners manual gives even less information.

So, here's my stupid question-du-jour: How do I know what size fuse goes in which slot? How do I know the PO or PPO hasn't replaced a fuse with the wrong amperage? Currently (yes, pun intended!) there are eleven 8-amp fuses installed in mine, and one empty slot (#10, which I removed after discovering it was draining the battery, and I haven't taken the time yet to track down the problem).

Should I just assume all eleven fuses are correct since none of them are blowing?

Don't leave yet... I'm not done with stupid questions... Laughing
I'm about to hook up a radio, and there isn't any wiring going to the radio location. I will need two power connections: one always live to keep the memory and clock alive, and one that is keyed, so the radio goes off when the key is removed. Bentley's table of fuse locations (chap. 4, sec. 3, table 'a') shows fuse #7 as "Unassigned (accessory)". Is that a good place to connect the radio?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
It has been a few days since I posted my last stupid question, so I'm overdue. Here's my latest:

Late Bays have fuse boxes with 12 fuses. In Bentley's, it says to only replace fuses with ones of the same amperage. Duh. But that's not my stupid question.

Bentley's goes on to say, "If in doubt, consult the owners manual."

Okay, I did that. But the owners manual gives even less information.

So, here's my stupid question-du-jour: How do I know what size fuse goes in which slot? How do I know the PO or PPO hasn't replaced a fuse with the wrong amperage? Currently (yes, pun intended!) there are eleven 8-amp fuses installed in mine, and one empty slot (#10, which I removed after discovering it was draining the battery, and I haven't taken the time yet to track down the problem).

Should I just assume all eleven fuses are correct since none of them are blowing?

I'm about to hook up a radio, and there isn't any wiring going to the radio location. I will need two power connections: one always live to keep the memory and clock alive, and one that is keyed, so the radio goes off when the key is removed. Bentley's table of fuse locations (chap. 4, sec. 3, table 'a') shows fuse #7 as "Unassigned (accessory)". Is that a good place to connect the radio?

The acessory fuse is perfect for a radio, but it's live all the time so if you want it to shut off with the key you'll need to tap into the wiper fuse.
The fuses are depicted in your owners manual in black and white, white fuses are white and red fuses are shown as a darker grey. If the manual for your year shows all white then that's what it uses. The wiring diagram also shows fuse amperage.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Bays do not have an -ACC- position on the ignition switch which is what is usually used for a stereo. If you hook your radio in to the #15 ignition circuit then you are going to have a temptation to use the stereo when the engine is not running which is going to bite you, running the battery down and likely damaging the ignition points and/or the coil. This also require the key to be left in the switch in order for the stereo to operate, something which may get your rig stolen.

There is a -KEY IN- circuit on the ignition switch which can be used instead of the ignition circuit, but this too requires you to leave the key in the ignition switch to have the stereo on when working on your car at home or when parked at a campsite, something I am just loath to do.

On my own rig I added a lighted rocker switch to the dash to preform this function and am quite happy with it.

On many stereos you can also hook both leads up to a constant 12v supply and hold the OFF button on the stereo for a second or two to depower the stereo excepting the memory circuits.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The fuses are depicted in your owners manual in black and white, white fuses are white and red fuses are shown as a darker grey. If the manual for your year shows all white then that's what it uses. The wiring diagram also shows fuse amperage.

Thank you for the information, BD. But I must be pretty dense since I'm not finding either the fuse layout or the fuse amperage in the wiring diagram.

Here is the only info in the owners manual I found:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And Bentley's has a diagram of fuse locations, but has a disclaimer under the diagram saying, "The location of 16-amp fuses varies among model years.:

The chart tells what each fuse feeds, which is helpful, but it doesn't say what size fuse it is.

Finally, in the wiring diagram, I found nothing about fuse size:

Am I missing something obvious here?

Wildthing: Thanks for that info. I didn't know there isn't an accessories position on the ignition. I'd prefer having the radio turn off with the key to avoid draining the battery by accident, so I'll connect the memory to fuse 7 and find an underused fuse to connect the power.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Picked up MY 79 Campmobile - altough I asked a lot of stupid questions at the shop that did a few things for me, I of course, have a couple more.

Under the front seats the driver's side has the brake fluid reservoir and a button next to that that sticks out. What is that button for? I haven't found it in the Bentley yet.

Second question - it looks like at some point ther was some kind of sliding cover that went over the driver's side (over the brake reservoir and button) and the passenger side (over the jack). It looks like it may have been a roll top desk kind of thing, possibly. Was there a cover once, and what are they called (can I find them online)?

Once again thanks for the info! My dream finally came true and the bus is very sound, but I will be redoing the cabinets, as the laminate is coming off or is off.

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Thank you for the information, BD. But I must be pretty dense since I'm not finding either the fuse layout or the fuse amperage in the wiring diagram.

Hmmm..., seems the 76 manual is the victim of some agressive editing Confused

The 75 manual shows 9&10 as 16 amp as well as the 77, since the wiring is the same for all 3 model years it's safe to say it applies to the 76 as well.

The wiring diagram does show 16A fuses in red, S10 @ current track 16 for example.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cv66seabear wrote:
Picked up MY 79 Campmobile - altough I asked a lot of stupid questions at the shop that did a few things for me, I of course, have a couple more.

Under the front seats the driver's side has the brake fluid reservoir and a button next to that that sticks out. What is that button for? I haven't found it in the Bentley yet.

Second question - it looks like at some point ther was some kind of sliding cover that went over the driver's side (over the brake reservoir and button) and the passenger side (over the jack). It looks like it may have been a roll top desk kind of thing, possibly. Was there a cover once, and what are they called (can I find them online)?

Once again thanks for the info! My dream finally came true and the bus is very sound, but I will be redoing the cabinets, as the laminate is coming off or is off.

You'll have to post a picture of this "button", VW didn't put it there from the sounds of it.
The cubby holes under the seats were covered with the rubber seat stand mats, sounds like yours got ripped and removed.

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks BD. That makes perfect sense to me. And it's good to hear I didn't miss something blatantly obvious.

Cv66seabear: Congratulations on a great find! 1979... the last year of production for Bays. Pictures! Don't forget to show off your new baby!

As for the knob by the brake reservoir, I vaguely remember that being a diverted for heat to the back. But I've never had a '79, so you'll need another opinion.
Edit: I was confusing it with the knob under the dash. So I don't know what it would be for.

---WildIdea

Last edited by KentABQ on Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Thanks BD. That makes perfect sense to me. And it's good to hear I didn't miss something blatantly obvious.

Cv66seabear: Congratulations on a great find! 1979... the last year of production for Bays. Pictures! Don't forget to show off your new baby!

As for the knob by the brake reservoir, I vaguely remember that being a diverted for heat to the back. But I've never had a '79, so you'll need another opinion.

I'm sure it's in the 76 manual somewhere, but neither of us can see it Razz

The last year for the heat knob on the seat stand was 72, later models do it all with the dash levers. Could be a control for an aftermarket gas heater or who knows what?

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The last year for the heat knob on the seat stand was 72, later models do it all with the dash levers. Could be a control for an aftermarket gas heater or who knows what?

Maybe it's an aftermarket hack installed by a PO. When you pull it, a door opens in the wheel well, releasing the stash of contraband when you see the red lights flashing in your rear view. Laughing

---WildIdea

RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What's the correct way to measure a flywheel?

Thank you.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
chaddhamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey Guys. I replaced the dash on my 73 Bay. I took a lot of photos while disassembling everything, but apparently not enough. I have the dash back on, wiring sorted, but I am coming up short on how to reattach the heater/cold air lever assembly. Bentley is not of much help here.

The lever assembly has 2 tabs(upper and lower). The lower tab has 2 holes(one with a welded-on nut) which I *think* sits on the dash and is bolted from beneath.

The upper mounting tab looks like it should mount to the dash, but it doesn't quite meet the tab on the dash when the lower tab is attached....

I tried searching for a photo of this attached to the dash but have come up short. Can someone throw me a bone and help me sort this out?

Thanks. Chadd
hipo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I know this question gets asked a lot. however after weeks of searching I haven't found the info. Can some one help? I am looking for the cabinet dimensions for a 1976 berlin cooler and kitchen cabinet. I am also interested in any CAD files available for interior components. my neighbor has a 10' x 12' CNC machine we have already cut some door panels from files I found on this site. If someone local to Tacoma would like a set or door panels cut there is a possibility.
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Maybe it's an aftermarket hack installed by a PO. When you pull it, a door opens in the wheel well, releasing the stash of contraband when you see the red lights flashing in your rear view. Laughing

Oh man, NOW you tell me!

Here are some photos. it is a push button, electric, because it goes to the fuse box, then aft under the seat, I haven't traced it yet.
It doesn't seem to do anything (no nitrous boost) Smile
When you push it it doesn't click and stay in, it just seems to be a spring loaded button.

also pics of the fuse holder - power cord seems to be 14 gauge or so.
Other pictures are on the way home at the Painted Desert Inn and the Painted Desert Overlook.

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

hipo63 wrote:
I know this question gets asked a lot. however after weeks of searching I haven't found the info. Can some one help? I am looking for the cabinet dimensions for a 1976 berlin cooler and kitchen cabinet. I am also interested in any CAD files available for interior components. my neighbor has a 10' x 12' CNC machine we have already cut some door panels from files I found on this site. If someone local to Tacoma would like a set or door panels cut there is a possibility.

I think this might be what you're looking for, but my German is a little rusty and I'm not sure if Berlin layouts varied. Look for the heading Maße below the first set of pictures.

http://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/index.php?de-westfalia-berlin-kitchen
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cv66seabear wrote:
KentPS wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Oh man, NOW you tell me!

Here are some photos. it is a push button, electric, because it goes to the fuse box, then aft under the seat, I haven't traced it yet.
It doesn't seem to do anything (no nitrous boost) Smile
When you push it it doesn't click and stay in, it just seems to be a spring loaded button.

The fuse and wire are Westfalia's doing, it powers the water pump on the sink. Why your PO needed to add a pushbutton is beyond my comprehension.

Слава Україні!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

"Jimmy, get up and brush your teeth!" "But dad, you're hitting to many bumps.."
Usually when my old man looked at me through the rear view it was in threatening of a good ole road trip ass whooping for fighting with a sibling, not the betterment of my dental hygiene.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 318, 319, 320 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 319 of 515

Jump to: