Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 319, 320, 321 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

[quote/]
The fuse and wire are Westfalia's doing, it powers the water pump on the sink. Why your PO needed to add a pushbutton is beyond my comprehension.[/quote]

Thanks Bus Daddy - you are one amazing resource!

I haven't cleaned out the sink, water storage or icebox yet. Once I get it cleaned out and sanitized with a bit of bleach, I'll try the pump. Maybe it was so Dad could hit the switch with his heel and cut poser to the sink. The wiring runs under the front carpet to the fusebox, is that really how VW wired the sink?

Kent

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Note on fuses: I have yet to see any STOCK bus circuit which needs anything other than a white (8 amp) fuse. VW seems to have stuck red (16 amp) fuses in various positions, but I see no load on those circuits which need them.
When in doubt, put in a white fuse.

NEVER put in a blue (25 amp) fuse, ever!

And, unless you desire to be a Darwin Award winner, never put in a .22 short in place of a fuse! (What, never seen this? I have. Hope you never do...)
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wiscokid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm in the process of going over my 1970 9 passenger, engine is pulled and yesterday I drained a full tank of gas left over from 1986! It didn't smell horrible and wasn't horrible looking perhaps from being the real deal and not ethanol blended? I was quite surprised as usually old gas is super nasty but anyway after reading about bus fires I am concerned about my fuel lines. I have a Bentley but the diagram is completely different then my set up. I seem to have a super simple line that looks to vent to the outside and two spots behind the firewall that are not metal fuel line but just short sections of braided. Is this it for my set up or am I missing something? This sure would be an easy upgrade if I'm seeing everything correctly! Thanks to everyone here Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I had mine done, just because I was picking it up and driving it 1450 miles (which somehow became 1951miles), so I can't help with routing.
What I did was add a BlazeCut fire suppression system. It's pretty nice peace of mind for $170.00 You can see their video on how it works.

Best of luck! Is your bus Montana Red?

Kent

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wiscokid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It is Montana red Very Happy my 70 westy is as well, buses of that color seem to find me I guess. As for the Blazecut that is something I will definitely be installing, I always carry a fire extinguisher but the Blazecut sure looks like an excellent investment. Thanks for the advice Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

wiscokid wrote:
Is this it for my set up or am I missing something?

That's all there is, the vapor system didn't get complicated until 72.

I'd still modify the sender while it's out: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629435&highlight=sender+repair , even if it works now it likely won't for long. I'd also replace the filler neck hose and the small rubber line sections just to make it all brand new and good for another 47 years.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wiscokid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks busdaddy much appreciated. One more reason to love the early bays! Smile
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I've removed all the tine around the Type4 engine minus the 2 Cylinder Air Deflector that lay underneath the cylinders/ head. I need help on trying to get those out. From what I've inspected, it looks like I'll be having to remove the heads to get these out right?

I just ordered my bentely manual last night, should have done that sooner.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
it looks like I'll be having to remove the heads to get these out right? .

Not on a type 4, remove the rockers, pushrods and pushrod tubes to get at the under cylinder tin.
If its on a stand and you are rolling it over don't let the lifters fall out and get mixed up. Read that Bentley carefully when it comes time to put the rockers back on.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
I've removed all the tine around the Type4 engine minus the 2 Cylinder Air Deflector that lay underneath the cylinders/ head. I need help on trying to get those out. From what I've inspected, it looks like I'll be having to remove the heads to get these out right?

I just ordered my bentely manual last night, should have done that sooner.

You don't need to remove the heads but you do need to remove the pushrod tubes. Once you remove the rocker assembly you can remove the pushrods and tubes.
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks! Got them out. I actually just have this engine sitting on some cylinder blocks and wood between the block and the engine. Learning a lot from doing this. I only have the "how to rebuild a vw ac engine" book by Wilson which is very helpful as well. Helped me remove the fan shroud and the rocker / pushrods etc. Also checked out some YT videos.
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Update on my mystery switch by the brake fluid - talked with the previous owner - the switch was an attempt by the 2nd owner to install a push button starting switch.

But now for more stupid questions:

1. My 79 Campmobile sometimes sounds like ti won't start, I was thinking the starter is going, but I absolutely cannot find anything about a starter anywhere -how do these guys start?

2. Front brakes were redone - I drove it 1951 miles home with no trouble, but it seems I have probably blown the wheel brake cylinder as there is a good leak from the left rear wheel. I ordered parts to rebuild both rear brakes. Once again I can't find a thread for this, although I did see Ratwell's post on his site.

Should I go ahead and do both, or wait for the rear right to have problems?

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"

Last edited by cv66seabear on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cv66seabear wrote:
Update on my mystery switch by the brake fluid - talked with the previous owner - the switch was an attempt by the 2nd owner to install a pushbutton start.

But no for more stupid questions:

1. My 79 Campmobile sometimes sounds like ti won't start, I was thinking the starter is going, but I absolutely cannot find anything about a starter anywhere -how do these guys start?

2. Front brakes were redone - I drove it 1951 miles home with no trouble, but it seems I have probably blown the wheel brake cylinder as there is a good leak from the left rear wheel. I ordered parts to rebuild both rear brakes. Once again I can't find a thread for this, although I did see Ratwell's post on his site.

Should I go ahead and do both, or wait for the rear right to have problems?

Do both, the other one cant be far behind.
As for the starting problem, an afternoon removing both battery cables, the ground strap at the nose of the transmission and the starter itself and laying them all on the driveway is always time well spent. After you do a little victory dance around the removed parts clean each end of each cable as well as the places they attach to on the bus super clean and shiny. Also clean the face of the starter where it touches the transmission and the corresponding area on the bellhousing. Now put a fingerfull of grease on the bushing down in the bellhousing where the starter shaft goes, smear some more around the cleaned area on the bellhousing and while you have the greasy finger lube up all the ends of the battery and ground cables. Now reassemble everything cleaning and greasing the ends of the rest of the wires that go on the starter too and see how it starts.

Слава Україні!
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Bus Daddy!

I knew there must be a starter motor somewhere! I will track that little guy down and clean everything. I usually use dielectric grease on electric parts.

As I looked at the switch some more, I saw that the pump power cord, simply went under the switch, so I called the PO. He disconnected it.

I literally ordered every part for the brakes, drums pads, springs, etc. I know it's overkill but I thought it might be best just to totally rebuild them, plus it never hurts to learn something new!

Thanks again,
Kent

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cv66seabear wrote:
Thanks Bus Daddy!

I knew there must be a starter motor somewhere! I will track that little guy down and clean everything. I usually use dielectric grease on electric parts.

As I looked at the switch some more, I saw that the pump power cord, simply went under the switch, so I called the PO. He disconnected it.

I literally ordered every part for the brakes, drums pads, springs, etc. I know it's overkill but I thought it might be best just to totally rebuild them, plus it never hurts to learn something new!

Thanks again,
Kent

Good idea, but beware some drums and brake shoes don't fit as well as claimed by some sellers, don't throw anything out and compare parts carefully as you go.

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cv66seabear wrote:

Thanks again,
Kent

Excellent logic and fantastic reasoning!
It must have something to do with the name. Laughing

But BusDaddy is right.... Keep all your old parts to make sure the new ones are gonna work. Did you get brake hoses too? They're simple enough to replace and should be done regularly.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have taken apart my axles and have removed the cv joints to repack and install new boots but I ran into a snag. The snap rings clips that are on the end of the axles that prevent the cv joint from sliding off too far were damaged in the removal process. From inspecting the axle it looks like either an e clip or a snap ring would work best. Any idea what size I would need or what other people usually do?

My idea was something that looks like this but I have no idea what the correct size would be.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-933-940?sei...hgoda9ULHQ

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Try this:
http://www.busdepot.com/113517279

I wouldn't try using a substitute.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
Hey guys, I have taken apart my axles and have removed the cv joints to repack and install new boots but I ran into a snag. The snap rings clips that are on the end of the axles that prevent the cv joint from sliding off too far were damaged in the removal process. From inspecting the axle it looks like either an e clip or a snap ring would work best. Any idea what size I would need or what other people usually do?

My idea was something that looks like this but I have no idea what the correct size would be.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-933-940?sei...hgoda9ULHQ

Buy yourself a pair of duckbill snap ring pliers so you don't have to fight so hard getting the snap rings on and off.

lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The ends of the snap ring are cut on an angle,be sure that the high points are facing out,can be a real pain to remove if put in backwards.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 319, 320, 321 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 320 of 515

Jump to: