Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 332, 333, 334 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kabasue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Kabasue wrote:
What lube do people suggest I use on my steering knuckles, or is good old generic molly grease good enough?

What do you plan on greasing? Do your ball joints have zerk fittings? Or are you asking about the spindle shafts where the wheel bearings ride?

Or do you have a Brazilian bus with king-pin front suspension?

Robbie

The spindle shaft part of the steering knuckle the part the disk breaks ride on.
73 Westy with a 411 engine (Finally Finished)
xavnz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

marty_mcfly wrote:
72 westy, rear wheel backing plate stuck. Took off the top bolt behind brake cylinder and two bolts above star adjusters. Looks like some kind of pin or bolt possibly broken off and certainly well-rusted in that third hole (at the vertex where the star adjuster housings converge).
Maybe this is a dumb question, but is that unusual? Can I drill that out?

I'm waiting on turtle-paced postal service for my Bentley manual, so please bear with me if there's something in there about this...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yup, that's a pin, just drift it out from the inside, it should be pretty smooth but it's a tight fit and takes confidence if you've not seen one apart (took me a while to pluck the courage to whack it with a bfh). If you have the bolts out, you can probably just give the whole thing a tap to one side and it'll show it's colors.
Mr west
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Sorry for robbing this thread, I'm new to Samba and need some help for the VW community. I've been working on my Westy for 3 years and finally have the motor somewhat working...almost drivable. My question is about electronic distrubtor. I switched from a 009 distributor to a SVDA . My new distributor has a hose hookup on the cap ... Question never seen this before. Help would be great . Also to the left of the fan housing there is another hose port that I'm not sure where the air is suspose to go. Thanks again for the help

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Welcome!
That thing on the distributor cap is a vent, some aftermarket brands have them, nothing connects there, leave it alone.
The nipple on the left end of the fan shroud by the coil is the purge air supply for the charcoal canister, it connects to the end with the single larger nipple on it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mr west
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Nice , awesome I'll plug it and won't mess with the cap. Thanks homes
Mr west
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Next question, timing at idle . I set my timing with the light at 28degrees BTDC at 2500-3500 rpm. I let the motor idle dawn and attach the vacuum assist line to the carburetor and adjust the idle screw....what RPM should the motor be set at. All the reading I've found is anywhere from 900-950 rpm . I have a 1700 big bore.....not sure if that changes anything.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

850-950, it depends on where it seems smoothest and what suits your driving style, higher idle in warmer weather improves cooling too so consider that.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Did VW issue a workshop manual for early bays to dealers?

All I can find are bentleys with this front page:

But did they have those that came in binders or something that were for internal VW use?

I believe the 72-74 ones were orange in colour.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

lightice wrote:
Did VW issue a workshop manual for early bays to dealers?

All I can find are bentleys with this front page:

But did they have those that came in binders or something that were for internal VW use?

I believe the 72-74 ones were orange in colour.

Bus service manual+Bus repair manuals
westysmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm looking to replace the brackets on my Westy bed because they're pretty worn and rusted in certain spots.

Is Bus Depot's "rear sofabed kit" the same as the 1970 Westy bed brackets?

this is what I'm looking at http://www.busdepot.com/98553
Mr west
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok last question for the day , do I adjust the valves at TDC or 7.5 BTDC? When I adjusted them before both valves were closed.....am I good? I believe I adjusted the valves when the valves were at 7.5 BTDC. Motor runs good but there's a little tapping not much out of the norm for a VW. Rolling Eyes
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

Hi Tcash, I've seen that thread, and I know about the bentley reprints.
But was there such a thing as a dealer issued workshop manual?
Like the early beetle/split blue binder type, or the later 'orange' 74-78 type?

Or is the kenneth ball one as close as we can get?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Mr west wrote:
Ok last question for the day , do I adjust the valves at TDC or 7.5 BTDC? When I adjusted them before both valves were closed.....am I good? I believe I adjusted the valves when the valves were at 7.5 BTDC. Motor runs good but there's a little tapping not much out of the norm for a VW. Rolling Eyes

TDC
How to adjust your valves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpH7VftH3_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ9ccGXtZL0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3MgWSXTwWQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isYX7b5r5Ng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozht-_iu3Ew
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

lightice wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Hi Tcash, I've seen that thread, and I know about the bentley reprints.
But was there such a thing as a dealer issued workshop manual?
Like the early beetle/split blue binder type, or the later 'orange' 74-78 type?

Or is the kenneth ball one as close as we can get?

You mean like the one below in Bus service manual+Bus repair manuals
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6898163#6898163

thnx to mayor ratwell
Bay Window Repair Manuals
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/RepairManuals.html

Good luck
Tcash
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

You mean like the one below in Bus service manual+Bus repair manuals
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6898163#6898163

thnx to mayor ratwell
Bay Window Repair Manuals
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/RepairManuals.html

Good luck
Tcash

I think it's this,
:

(1) - the full title of the blue manual is "Volkswagen service manual. Hints on the repair and maintenance of the 1968-1970 model Volkswagen; station wagon, delivery van, pick up, double cab". [Wolfsburg, Ger., 1970] x, 332 p. illus. 28 cm

Volkswagen service manual (1) Volkswagenwerk Y 72188053 68-70[/img]
Mr west
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I brought my number 1 piston to the top of the cylinder while on the pressure stroke adjust the valve accordingly. Then found out that the motor is set up to run at 7.5 BTDC so I went and readjusted the valves at 7.5BTDC and not at TDC.....do I need to move my pully mark to 0 TDC or can it stay at 7.5 TDC. This is a repeat question, sorry but every video and forum I've watched and read doesn't explain this much just says bring the piston to the top and looks at the valves to make sure they are booth closed etc.
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Mr west wrote:
I brought my number 1 piston to the top of the cylinder while on the pressure stroke adjust the valve accordingly. Then found out that the motor is set up to run at 7.5 BTDC so I went and readjusted the valves at 7.5BTDC and not at TDC.....do I need to move my pully mark to 0 TDC or can it stay at 7.5 TDC. This is a repeat question, sorry but every video and forum I've watched and read doesn't explain this much just says bring the piston to the top and looks at the valves to make sure they are booth closed etc.

Id suggest your own build/repair thread!
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

You turn the engine to tdc with #1 on the compression stroke,the rockers on #1 should both be loose,then you adjust the valves on # 1 ,then you turn the engine to bring the next cylinder to tdc and adjust that cylinder,
Do a search,lot of info here on valve adjustment.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Mr west wrote:

You do not need to move the 0 TDC (top dead center) mark that is on the pulley. 7.5* BTDC (before top dead center) is the static ignition timing.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
You turn the engine to tdc with #1 on the compression stroke,the rockers on #1 should both be loose,then you adjust the valves on # 1 ,then you turn the engine to bring the next cylinder to tdc and adjust that cylinder,
Do a search,lot of info here on valve adjustment.

Watch these videos
Vintage VW Training Film - Valve Adjustments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpH7VftH3_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ9ccGXtZL0

Classic VW Beetle BuGs How to Adjust your Valves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3MgWSXTwWQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isYX7b5r5Ng

It would be better if you started a single thread. That way we know what has already been said.

Thank you
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 332, 333, 334 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 333 of 515

Jump to: