Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 344, 345, 346 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Electric wiring for newbie Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
maz-o wrote:
How do I know which alternator/generator I have and if it's wired up correctly?

Look for a part number on it.
Which one do you have?
[img][/img]

Good luck
Tcash

Thanks that was helpful! Couldn't see a part number but it's definitely an externally regulated one, with the tripple connector going to the regulator, and the single connector going straight to the battery... But that can't be the correct wiring, right..??
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Electric wiring for newbie Reply with quote

maz-o wrote:
Tcash wrote:
maz-o wrote:

Which one do you have?
[img][/img]

Good luck
Tcash

Thanks that was helpful! Couldn't see a part number but it's definitely an externally regulated one, with the tripple connector going to the regulator, and the single connector going straight to the battery... But that can't be the correct wiring, right..??

Doesn't sound right, you'll have to add a regulator if all you have now is a single blue wire from the bus. Any regulator from a type 4 powered bus will work with that alternator, or a 74-75 beetle regulator (same as the bus unit with an added plug and $ on the price). The terminal numbers are on both plugs, match them up with a harness you fabricate.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric wiring for newbie Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
maz-o wrote:
Tcash wrote:
maz-o wrote:

Which one do you have?
[img][/img]

Good luck
Tcash

Doesn't sound right, you'll have to add a regulator if all you have now is a single blue wire from the bus. Any regulator from a type 4 powered bus will work with that alternator, or a 74-75 beetle regulator (same as the bus unit with an added plug and $ on the price). The terminal numbers are on both plugs, match them up with a harness you fabricate.

After googling for a while I actually found the diagram for my exact setup from this page: http://www.vw-resource.com/alternator_wiring.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So here's my final stupid question (for now): What good does that regulator do since it doesn't regulate the current going into the battery or the electrical system of the car?

Thanks again
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric wiring for newbie Reply with quote

maz-o wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
maz-o wrote:
Tcash wrote:
maz-o wrote:

Which one do you have?
[img][/img]

Good luck
Tcash

After googling for a while I actually found the diagram for my exact setup from this page: http://www.vw-resource.com/alternator_wiring.html

[img]pic[/img]

So here's my final stupid question (for now): What good does that regulator do since it doesn't regulate the current going into the battery or the electrical system of the car?

Thanks again

But it does, more specifically it controls how many volts the alternator puts out, unregulated an alternator can easily make 30 or more volts.

With no regulator connected the alternator won't produce anything so you can run the engine with no worries, but it won't charge the battery.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric wiring for newbie Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
But it does, more specifically it controls how many volts the alternator puts out, unregulated an alternator can easily make 30 or more volts.

With no regulator connected the alternator won't produce anything so you can run the engine with no worries, but it won't charge the battery.

A-Ha! I for some reason thought the regulator had to always be placed between the battery and the alternator. In this setup it kind of "dangles on the side". Well it was the stupid questions thread after all. Thanks everyone!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric wiring for newbie Reply with quote

maz-o wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

A-Ha! I for some reason thought the regulator had to always be placed between the battery and the alternator. In this setup it kind of "dangles on the side". Well it was the stupid questions thread after all. Thanks everyone!

With a DC generator the regulator senses both voltage and current and adjusts output accordingly, but with an alternator the regulator only senses voltage. With a generator the regulator also prevents backflow, while the diodes in the alternator provide this function.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me what size nuts and bolts are needed to attach the bowed (curved) piece of aluminum, to the front of a late bay pop top? I apologize for the crappy photo!

secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:
Will a 32/36 dfav Weber progressive carburetor work with the distributor bearing the part number 021 905 205 P?

asking for a friend Embarassed

The 021-905-205P and the 022-905-205S would be the preferred distributors.

A very belated thank you, Wild Things. Very Happy
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I removed the iginition lock cylinder from my 72 bus.
I have to move it around this weekend..
Could the steering lock without the cylinder installed? Is there a way around this?

I was sending my cylinder out to get it rekeyed.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

See the metal thing in the middle. That is the lock mechanism and would need to be held in the unlocked position.
http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/barrel/barrel.html

The key number is on the side of the ignition lock you have in your hand.

Good luck
Tcash
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hmm okay. That probably explains why I found a screw screwed into the nylon piece as I was removing the cylinder. It was probably holding the lock in place to prevent it from locking the steering wheel.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Almost every day, I search the Samba classified for listing of new Bays. And I'm not even remotely in the market to buy another one. It's interesting, though, to see the variety, and to appreciate the (extremely lucky) deal I got on eBay.

Does anyone else also check out the new postings regularly, even though you're not in the market? Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Almost every day, I search the Samba classified for listing of new Bays. And I'm not even remotely in the market to buy another one. It's interesting, though, to see the variety, and to appreciate the (extremely lucky) deal I got on eBay.

Does anyone else also check out the new postings regularly, even though you're not in the market? Question

I used to, but recently I've pushed myself away from the bar. Too many projects and not enough room, time or money to get them all done, I can use the space more than another project right now. If I don't look I'll never know what I'm missing Wink

There's also the harsh realization that for all I've spent on cheap projects over the years that still need completion I could have just bucked up for 1 or 2 really nice finished vehicles and be driving it right now. I just don't have the spare time I did when I was in my 20's, life keeps getting in the way, not complaining because I love it, just time to face the music and reorganize my priorities.

But at the same time most of those projects have appreciated in thier "as is" state just sitting there more than any financial investment me or almost any one I know has going currently. Some laugh at me for keeping those "stupid old VW's" around, but as long as I bail out before the bubble bursts I'll be the one laughing. But the storage space they use could be earning just as much if I wanted to put up with strangers in my barn too, hmmm.....

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Since Stuart isn't around anymore to contribute to his Stupid Question sticky, I feel it's my duty to fill his shoes. And I've got looooots of stupid questions bouncing around in my empty tin can of a head...

For example:
Most pics I see of busses owned by people who are fans of originality position their side mirrors vertically rather than horizontally. In that position, it takes advantage of seeing more vertically, but less horizontally. When I'm driving, I'd prefer to see more of the vehicles next to me rather than seeing how tall they are. Smile

Since the Germans are known for favoring function over form (after all, that's how the Vanagon was developed, right?), why would they position the mirrors vertically?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

quoted for truth. with a yard full of projects the last 2 VWs I bought are running/driving/decent looking. I just want to spend more time enjoying them than building them. yet I can't let go of the backlog of project builds I've acquired over the 20yrs..
maybe it's that in mid-life I've lost too many friends too early in their own lives who never got to reach their goals..
there's a different outlook on a hobby at 45 vs 25.. and lets hope I'm enjoying it at 65.. too many roads to dive and vistas to see..
busdaddy wrote:
I used to, but recently I've pushed myself away from the bar. Too many projects and not enough room, time or money to get them all done, I can use the space more than another project right now. If I don't look I'll never know what I'm missing Wink

There's also the harsh realization that for all I've spent on cheap projects over the years that still need completion I could have just bucked up for 1 or 2 really nice finished vehicles and be driving it right now. I just don't have the spare time I did when I was in my 20's, life keeps getting in the way, not complaining because I love it, just time to face the music and reorganize my priorities.

But at the same time most of those projects have appreciated in thier "as is" state just sitting there more than any financial investment me or almost any one I know has going currently. Some laugh at me for keeping those "stupid old VW's" around, but as long as I bail out before the bubble bursts I'll be the one laughing. But the storage space they use could be earning just as much if I wanted to put up with strangers in my barn too, hmmm.....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Since Stuart isn't around anymore to contribute to his Stupid Question sticky, I feel it's my duty to fill his shoes. And I've got looooots of stupid questions bouncing around in my empty tin can of a head...

For example:
Most pics I see of busses owned by people who are fans of originality position their side mirrors vertically rather than horizontally. In that position, it takes advantage of seeing more vertically, but less horizontally. When I'm driving, I'd prefer to see more of the vehicles next to me rather than seeing how tall they are. Smile

Since the Germans are known for favoring function over form (after all, that's how the Vanagon was developed, right?), why would they position the mirrors vertically?

Hey Kent,
Funny, but I had mine horizontrally, and found I actually see more of what I want with them vertically. I thought I was seeing more horizontally, but I didn't see as far back. I'm 6'2, so maybe that is different as well.

OK stupid question time: (BTW my starting and rough running seems to have come from a poor negative ground on my starting battery).
In order to tune up a Type IV FI, what will I need as far as tools/equipment? I have plenty of sockets and wrenches, do I need a dwell tach and a Timing light?
Kent

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Collin (Amskeptic) runs his mirrors at a 45° angle, don't remember is he runs them top outward or top inward.
steverock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So I can't seem to find the answer to my specific question and kinda what I'm seeing is that it will work.

A family member has a 1972 bus that is doa. They were told they need a new engine (not gear heads and live a couple hours away so I can't confirm the problem). I have a 1974 standard beetle that I am in the middle of restoring with a good engine. What I want to do is swap the long blocks. What do I need to do to the type I long block to get it to work correctly with the type I?

If I had the bus with me I would just figure it out but I will have to prepare the type I engine at my house then drive several miles to install it into the bus and driving back and forth to change minor things isn't really an option.

Thanks for your help!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

steverock wrote:
So I can't seem to find the answer to my specific question and kinda what I'm seeing is that it will work.

A family member has a 1972 bus that is doa. They were told they need a new engine (not gear heads and live a couple hours away so I can't confirm the problem). I have a 1974 standard beetle that I am in the middle of restoring with a good engine. What I want to do is swap the long blocks. What do I need to do to the type I long block to get it to work correctly with the type I?

If I had the bus with me I would just figure it out but I will have to prepare the type I engine at my house then drive several miles to install it into the bus and driving back and forth to change minor things isn't really an option.

Thanks for your help!

Unless the bus is a European delivered model originally equipped with a 1600 swapping a Beetle motor into it is a big job, have a look at this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483408

Слава Україні!
jack-o-van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
Can anybody tell me what size nuts and bolts are needed to attach the bowed (curved) piece of aluminum, to the front of a late bay pop top? I apologize for the crappy photo!

No nuts - you can't get at the other side of the holes in the bus top. I used sheet metal screws. Splurged and got stainless. Not sure what metric original size was, I think I used #6 x 1/4 or 3/8. You want them to go through the holes in that aluminum channel you have without binding, then screw into the matching holes on the top of your bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 344, 345, 346 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 345 of 515

Jump to: