Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 349, 350, 351 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

aguynamedalton wrote:
First time post on the site, got a 1980 Vanagon a month go. I have taken the motor out today and plan on doing a 2.5 swap. I tried starting the old vw motor but the starter would only spin like it wouldn't engage and the whole fuel system didn't work along with cut lines. Anyways I want to keep the old transmission, i just don't know the logical step to this problem. It was a barn find and i don't have any record except that it hasn't ran in around 10 years. Its got 74k on the odometer so i figure it should still be fine. Do transmission shops have something to test it or is it smart to just get it rebuilt?

Have you pulled the drain plug to see what is stuck to the magnet? Rust on the gears and bearings surfaces could be an issue as all the oil would have drained down off the upper gears and left them susceptible to rust. You could pull the bellhousing and see what the ring and pinion and their bearings look like.
dolamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I recently purchased an antenna for my bus from Wolfsburg West...

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=ZVW6

looks like I am missing a hole...

Question: Should I just drill a hole, or look for a different antenna? Is it common to need two holes here?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I would just drill the extra hole after measuring at least twice. Maybe use some kind of sealant to keep water away from the untreated exposed metal, especially if your rig is apt to see any salt spray.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I would just drill the extra hole after measuring at least twice. Maybe use some kind of sealant to keep water away from the untreated exposed metal, especially if your rig is apt to see any salt spray.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

There are two different antennas. Though, I'd be tempted to drill the extra hole if I were you.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

fresh paint and body work done? reach up and under on the inside of the bus and feel if there used to be one. (another hole)
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Just an update regarding the flashers. They were in fact due to a burnt out fuse. For some reason on my box it is fuse #10. I was checking #9 as per bentley.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
Just an update regarding the flashers. They were in fact due to a burnt out fuse. For some reason on my box it is fuse #10. I was checking #9 as per bentley.

You know, there are a few nutty things that VW did with the wiring on our '69 buses that I just can't figure out why. Last week I also learned that my hazards were on fuse 10 instead of 9, but I don't have any reason to suspect the PO swapped the wires around.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
beatles4 wrote:

You know, there are a few nutty things that VW did with the wiring on our '69 buses that I just can't figure out why. Last week I also learned that my hazards were on fuse 10 instead of 9, but I don't have any reason to suspect the PO swapped the wires around.

Robbie

Ok, so if it is confirmed at least one other bus has it on 10 and it is a 69 then I am going with it was a VW thing. I have noticed many weird things on my 69 bus. One of them is that the rear view mirror is a 68 style even though 69 was supposed to be the first year of the non bolt on style. Maybe we have an early model year 69? Dunno.

BTW guys, I know I posted about it maybe a week ago regarding my oil pressure issues with brand new bearings. I spoke with a vw engine builder that did my bearings. He said to try changing my oil pressure relief valve on my single relief case. I did that and what came out was a 60.5 mm spring with a piston that looked a tiny bit worn on the sides. From what I gathered on this forum it should have been 64mm ish spring in there. Either way I have a bugpack made in USA spring and piston and since installing them I have not had any issues with oil pressure. At cold first start idle of around 1300 rpm it was at 30 psi steady rather than an osculating 8-20 psi. Once warmed up a little bit but not fully warmed up it was at 20 psi steady at 950 rpm.

So it would seem as though having a new spring is what did it. I drove the bus to work today and I also went through a very busy drive through for lunch on my way in and the oil light never once flickered at idle and the engine never seemed to get any hotter than it used to. So, so far so good.

But that did leave me with a lingering question. On acceleration since my rebuild it has seemed to have a flat spot right off the line with acceleration. In fact, it stalled on me while accelerating and when I turn the engine off I do get a slight backfire or an attempt at diesling. I do have a 009 distributor but I timed it to 29 degrees at 3500 rpm. I have been thinking about going to what was original, ie, a single vacuum advance like this. Can I get a pertronix unit for an original style single vacuum advance distributor or only the svda and 009 style distrubutors? This was the particular distributor setup I was looking at. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1224654

Also my engine is single port and the carb is a volkzbitz 30 pict 1 with the power circuit.
During the rebuild I did change my cam but I went with a cb2280 cheater cam that is supposed to drive like stock and work on a stock carb. I don't know if my off the line acceleration is related to the cam or carb or dizzy.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
RevMoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have an annoying problem with my bus in cold weather. Mostly within the first 15 minutes after starting it and coming to a complete stop on a down hill incline the engine will die on me. It sounds to me like it is a fuel problem, either too much or too little. The centrifugal force of stopping is definitely a factor in the problem, because if I stop very gently I can keep it running if not on too much of an incline. I have done the carb adjustments various times, with mixed results, but the problem never completely goes away. My instinct is to just adjust the idle higher during the winter.

My carb is a 30 Pict-3, in a 1970 bus with an AE serial 1600 motor.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RevMoto wrote:
I have an annoying problem with my bus in cold weather. Mostly within the first 15 minutes after starting it and coming to a complete stop on a down hill incline the engine will die on me. It sounds to me like it is a fuel problem, either too much or too little. The centrifugal force of stopping is definitely a factor in the problem, because if I stop very gently I can keep it running if not on too much of an incline. I have done the carb adjustments various times, with mixed results, but the problem never completely goes away. My instinct is to just adjust the idle higher during the winter.

My carb is a 30 Pict-3, in a 1970 bus with an AE serial 1600 motor.

How hot is your intake manifold getting? It needs to be hot to atomize the fuel. Not sure what the '70 has for an intake air preheat, but that system needs to work properly as well. A chrome after market "high performance" air cleaner will not do you well in cold weather. Your choke also needs to be properly adjusted.

Sure your float is properly adjusted?
RevMoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings, I think the best lead you give is the air intake warming. I have the original air cleaner but it is missing a hose from the air cleaner to the tin below. It connects to a weighted air valve that would take warm air from below.

I'll try this first.
tomfreo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Intermittent noise and scraping from RHS wheel made worse with application of brakes. Front wheels off, the RHS disc looks good but is VERY hard to turn by hand. The LHS disc by comparison turns nicely with slight resistance. Looks like 3-4mm of pads on either side. Why is the disc/wheel seizing up? What am I facing?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

tomfreo wrote:
Intermittent noise and scraping from RHS wheel made worse with application of brakes. Front wheels off, the RHS disc looks good but is VERY hard to turn by hand. The LHS disc by comparison turns nicely with slight resistance. Looks like 3-4mm of pads on either side. Why is the disc/wheel seizing up? What am I facing?

How old is the rubber brake hose going to the caliper? It's not the original is it? Is the caliper piston sticky or stuck and not retracting when the brakes are released?

I'd start there.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Had the cargo door on my 79 Campmobile and all of a sudden it stopped partway closed and would not shut. I tried again, and I have a little dent in the door track cover. I was able to get it closed by pushing the silver sliding thing in just a little, but why did this happen? Do I need to take the cargo door apart (lots of videos online)? The door has worked perfectly until now, so just wondering what happened to change it?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Kent

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cv66seabear wrote:
Had the cargo door on my 79 Campmobile and all of a sudden it stopped partway closed and would not shut. I tried again, and I have a little dent in the door track cover. I was able to get it closed by pushing the silver sliding thing in just a little, but why did this happen? Do I need to take the cargo door apart (lots of videos online)? The door has worked perfectly until now, so just wondering what happened to change it?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Kent

Slide your fingers along the track and see if you can feel anything blocking the track. Might be time to lubricates the wheels in the carriage, this will usually make the door operate like new.
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks WildThings! To lube you have to remove the trim panel, correct?
Just checked, and there was a rough spot, like rust, but couldn't feel anything else. Should probablly lube the wheels anyway. I'll look on ratwell.

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kavyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I was trying to take my engine out and was getting stuck on the last part. We cannot see anything that is caught except for this engine mount below. We dont know how to get past this part while the gap in the engine and the transmission is showing that it is not level. Any ideas on how to get past the engine mount while also keeping the alignment of the engine and transmission?

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

kavyp wrote:
I was trying to take my engine out and was getting stuck on the last part. We cannot see anything that is caught except for this engine mount below. We dont know how to get past this part while the gap in the engine and the transmission is showing that it is not level. Any ideas on how to get past the engine mount while also keeping the alignment of the engine and transmission?
[imgs]

Hi there!

Make sure you're removing the 17mm bolt from BELOW that rubber mount, and not removing the 17mm nut from on top like you have.

The rubber mounts should stay with the engine when it is removed.

Make sure your transmission is supported with a strap of blocks of wood to keep it level while the engine is out. This prevents wrecking anything in the transaxle nose cone or shift assembly if the transaxle was to droop…

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kavyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
kavyp wrote:
[imgs]

Hi there!

Make sure you're removing the 17mm bolt from BELOW that rubber mount, and not removing the 17mm nut from on top like you have.

The rubber mounts should stay with the engine when it is removed.

Make sure your transmission is supported with a strap of blocks of wood to keep it level while the engine is out. This prevents wrecking anything in the transaxle nose cone or shift assembly if the transaxle was to droop…

Good luck!
Robbie

Thank you for the reply!

I had a jack with a piece of wood on the transmission just before where it meets with the engine. Is tightening the 17mm bolt on top going to give me enough clearance to pull the engine straight out? That is where the biggest hurdle seemed to be. It looked like that was putting us out of line to take out the engine.

Thank you for your help and ideas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 349, 350, 351 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 350 of 515

Jump to: