Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 353, 354, 355 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paddyoh1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey im new to the forum, i have a 1973 vw bus. Currently, im working on wiring to get this bus on the road. One of the problems im having is with the bus not generating power to the battery. I know somewhere on the bus its draining power so i bought a new wiring harness. But every time i start the bus and drive it, it loses power and i have to charge it. Im pretty sure its nothing on the fuse panel, im almost positive it has something to do with the alternator or regulator. Im not too familiar with these buses, its my first car Very Happy so im not too sure what the problem is. Purple Bus Red Bus
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Paddyoh1973 wrote:
Hey im new to the forum, i have a 1973 vw bus. Currently, im working on wiring to get this bus on the road. One of the problems im having is with the bus not generating power to the battery. I know somewhere on the bus its draining power so i bought a new wiring harness. But every time i start the bus and drive it, it loses power and i have to charge it. Im pretty sure its nothing on the fuse panel, im almost positive it has something to do with the alternator or regulator. Im not too familiar with these buses, its my first car Very Happy so im not too sure what the problem is.

The trouble shooting procedures for either an alternator or generator are given in most any manual., but assuming you have a Type 4 engine then you only need to be concerned with the procedures for an alternator. If you don't have a multimeter, now is the time to buy one as without a meter you can only guess as to what is going on.
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

+1 on Multimeter.
My first suspect is the alternator, but you have to check the battery while it's running, to see if it is charging.
I'd also check the battery ground, just because I've had trouble with mine.

Nice bus, BTW!!!

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"

Last edited by cv66seabear on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phoneguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

You should see between 13.5 and 14.5 Volts (DC) when engine is running. There I saved you from looking it up !

1971 Supervert
1977 Westfalia
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Removed my 2 speed wiper switch.. from my 72 bus.

Wondering how the button returns to the off position for the washers.

Does it return to off with the pressure or do you have to pull on the switch for the button to return back to off?

tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So, there's a hole in the intake manifold.

What effect does it have? No clue here.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

tonysantacruz wrote:
So, there's a hole in the intake manifold.

What effect does it have? No clue here.

That is your heat riser pipe. If the heat risers are still hooked up at the exhaust ports then not fixing that hole is very apt to kill you and your family, as CO is very bad for your health.
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Yikes. Thank God the entire system is shut-down. It’s getting fixed pronto.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

If you can't get your hands on a better manifold (not hard to find in the US, don't know about MX) that can be welded or brazed and patched. Clean out the tube first in case any other holes appear.
Your bus will hesitate and use much more gas than it should if that tube isn't connected to the exhaust so it heats the manifold, even in a tropical climate.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

hey that guy has the same work boots as me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

As you can probably tell by the pic, the whole fuel gauge part is in a very sorry state: the gels are missing, the paint is all gone. Question, how do you replace the gels? Do I need to strip another bus (long shot) or is there a template you can use to re-create them?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

tonysantacruz wrote:
[img]pic[/img]

As you can probably tell by the pic, the whole fuel gauge part is in a very sorry state: the gels are missing, the paint is all gone. Question, how do you replace the gels? Do I need to strip another bus (long shot) or is there a template you can use to re-create them?

Remove the cluster and open it up, they are likely rattling around inside there, good for patterns at the very least.
Be careful with the fine wires on the fuel gauge, hard to repair if you damage one.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

You could probably get a replacement instrument cluster from a place in the states like Busted Bus. I know shipping is rougher for people south of the border, but it would sure save you a lot of time. Also check out the classifieds here on The Samba
luke9511
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

when looking for a bus should i look for one with a carb or fuel injection and is one better than the other?
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I’m in the process of adding a return fuel line to my stock 74 gas tank, though many won’t touch it to weld on. I have obtained a brand new Enpi gas tank from Jbugs that has both outlets. The Enpi Tank looks well made. My question: Are Enpi gas tanks of good quality, comparable to OEM. Any concerns I should have using the Enpi tank over trying to get my stock tank welded on?
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I think the difference will just be the thickness of metal used. You can easily hear it when you hit the tank that it's thinner therefor easier to puncture through. This shouldn't really be an issue considering there shouldn't be anything in the tank area to puncture it anyways.

Also, when I had that jbugs tank a while ago... it didn't have the middle wall that I think prevents the fuel from just swaying around when you're driving. I'm not sure if yours has it.
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I will move forward with the new tank.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

luke9511 wrote:
when looking for a bus should i look for one with a carb or fuel injection and is one better than the other?

One isn't better than the other, they both have advantages. FI can be hard to troubleshoot, but once it is working it is very low maintenance and drives very nice. Also some parts can be hard to source. Carbs can typically be troubleshot easier, but don't always have as good of performance (depending on engine application etc. On a stock engine with stock carb, they are very comparable to FI) They also require more attention with maintenance and adjustments for Large changes in altitude or fuel quality. Focus on the quality\condition of the body when looking for a bus, finding a working engine is much easier.

Read through this a little, there are some good thought provokers:
http://john-perry.com/images/buyers.txt
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

luke9511 wrote:

If you have a head on collision in a 73 and later bus and you have your seat belt on, you have a good chance of walking away from the collision. In an earlier bus your chances are much slimmer. Lots of other stuff improved with time as well.
stwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What is the thing with three dots on it that spins freely (right side of pic)? This is on the final drive of my 003 automatic transmission (part 011-507-111). I've looked in the Bentley and Dasher manuals and it isn't labeled in any of the diagrams.

Also, there is a rubber part in the picture below by my finger that is labeled in Bentley as "Cap for ventilation drilling". It has a slit that opens at the top when squeezed. I assume this is a diff breather of some sort? The rubber is a bit hard but my google-fu failed me trying to locate a part number.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 353, 354, 355 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 354 of 515

Jump to: