Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 357, 358, 359 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Terminatez wrote:
Are there any repair or pats for fixing up the locking mechanism inside the ignition key housing?

For some reason my wheel locks as it should.. but even with the correct key it doesn't unlock. I spent about 30 minutes trying different methods to get it loose per the samba but no success.

Last time I had it apart I did notice the nylon tab and the metal U shaped tab inside seemed a bit damage. Wondering if those can be fix or if I need a whole new housing.

No parts available that I know of, and I've had little sucess repairing damaged stuff in there, a donor steering lock from the classifieds sounds like your best option.

Ok Thanks!

Bearing grease vs Silicone paste for lubing the shifter bushing?
bbrowncods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What does this do/go to?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Gas door spring.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bbrowncods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It came off a 1977 Westy. No door. I also have 4 of them.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Some aftermarket air cleaners use clips that look like that to hold them together. They usually use 4 per air cleaner.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
bbrowncods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ahh! Yep that is it! Thanks!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I had a guy test compression on my 79 that has been sitting for a year. he said a couple are bad. I asked about having the hydro lifters pumped up. and he said that would not make a difference. Is that right? I thought if a hydro was not pumped up, it would give bad compression all day long.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Collapsed lifters can indeed effect compression test results, so can sitting for a year without at least a few minutes running first.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Collapsed lifters can indeed effect compression test results, so can sitting for a year without at least a few minutes running first.

thanks BD. gonna bring it home and play with it myself.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
I had a guy test compression on my 79 that has been sitting for a year. he said a couple are bad. I asked about having the hydro lifters pumped up. and he said that would not make a difference. Is that right? I thought if a hydro was not pumped up, it would give bad compression all day long.

The compression test should be done hot with the lifters fully pumped up. If its been sitting for a long while then the rings may well be gummed up as well and with today's poor excuse for gas the valves may hang up in the guides.

Add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the crankcase and some more to the fuel to get the lifters to pump up easy and to unstick the rings and valves. If the fuel is old and nasty looking/smelling you will save yourself a lot of hassle by draining and refilling the tank before you try to run the engine or dump any additive in.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
alman72 wrote:

The compression test should be done hot with the lifters fully pumped up. If its been sitting for a long while then the rings may well be gummed up as well and with today's poor excuse for gas the valves may hang up in the guides.

Add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the crankcase and some more to the fuel to get the lifters to pump up easy and to unstick the rings and valves. If the fuel is old and nasty looking/smelling you will save yourself a lot of hassle by draining and refilling the tank before you try to run the engine or dump any additive in.

When I took it in a year ago, it would start with a spray of starting fluid (cold) in the s boot. after running for a bit, it would restart ok. The big problem was that in park it would sound good, rev up with the gas pedal pressed. But shifting indo drive it just lost all power, and would hardly move.like 1mph. So being a busy guy, I took it out to the vw guy.
I started it up, and drug it out to his place with someone in the bus steering and working the brakes. When the guy got to it a couple days later, he said it actually drove most of the way around the block, but died /limped the last 100 yards. Now bad compression. I really don't think he warmed it up. We have another round of snow coming thru, so I will get it next week and be able to check things out.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I am a real strong believer in mixing a quart of MMO, 2-cycle oil, or synthetic motor oil in with your gas when putting a long sitting vehicle back in service. This helps the rings and valves while adding MMO to the crankcase will help the lifters.
SiameseCitys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I can’t for the life of me figure out what battery to buy.

Someone suggested I get “the biggest one I can find.” But the manual says 12V with 54ah.

When I google that I don’t get very informative posts. When I go shop batteries online retailers are telling me about groups, like 24 or 45.

So I don’t want to get too powerful of a battery, but I also don’t want have a small battery.

Am I overthinking? Any advise?
Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SiameseCitys wrote:
I can’t for the life of me figure out what battery to buy.

Someone suggested I get “the biggest one I can find.” But the manual says 12V with 54ah.

When I google that I don’t get very informative posts. When I go shop batteries online retailers are telling me about groups, like 24 or 45.

So I don’t want to get too powerful of a battery, but I also don’t want have a small battery.

Am I overthinking? Any advise?
Thanks.

You can't have too powerful 12v battery, but can easily have one that doesn't put out sufficient current to do the job well. Basically you are limited by the size of the recess in the battery compartment. The original VW Group 42 batterys (with some people running a group 41) are getting to be hard to find, while there are others that fit in the same space that work just fine. Search around for a post I made a year or two ago, it has a link to a list of commonly available batteries. The battery I am now running in my Bay has the same footprint as the original Group 42 but is about 1/2" taller. It works fine in the Bay but will not work in the Vanagon which will not accept a taller than stock battery.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

OK this question is slightly less stupid now that I found out part of the answer, but I still am unsure about something...

I have a '68 Campmobile. According to my M-code, my paint color is/was L87 Pearl White.

What color where the rims and bumpers?

I want to refinish my rims before I put new tires on. I'm considering powder coating depending on if I can get a close color and the price.

I've looked here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

Would my bumpers and rims have been L581 Cloud White? The PO painted my rims red Sad It also came with chrome hub caps.

Assuming the correct color is L581, is there a powder coat color that is close?

My 1968 Campmobile
dolamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Let's play name that mystery part!

I'm doing inventory on my interior for a bus that was taken apart 20 years ago and stored. I think I have most things accounted for except the items in the photo below. Please help if you can, Thanks!

1971 Deluxe

CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Looks like you have some Beetle parts in the mix.
#2 looks like Beetle fender guards and #13 for Beetle rear pop out window hinge mount.

At a quick glance:
#4 and #6 are for the top of the pinch welt on the interior ‘B’ pillars.
#9 looks like spacers for the engine fan shroud on the sides / bottom.
#11 is the plug for the front signal lights.
#14 seat belt boots?
#17 seat belt buckle covers.

I’m sure someone else can ID the rest easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'll try.....

#1- speaker rain guards for in the door (Aftermarket)
#2- as mentioned Beetle rock guards
#3- Beetle door sill trim?
#4- pinch welt cap RH
#5- ???
#6- pinch welt cap LH
#7- Coat hook cap
#8- ???
#9- Shims for a striker plate, maybe engine decklid?
#10- Middle seat floor plates
#11- Contact cap for front signal
#12- shim for sliding door front striker
#13- already identified as Beetle window hinge parts
#14- Beetle seat belt or rear seat bolts
#15- need better pic
#16- as above
#17- rear and middle seat buckle inserts

Слава Україні!
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

#9 are shims for the lower roller assay on the sliding door. They go between the the roller and door.

edit:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
alman72 wrote:

When I took it in a year ago, it would start with a spray of starting fluid (cold) in the s boot. after running for a bit, it would restart ok. The big problem was that in park it would sound good, rev up with the gas pedal pressed. But shifting indo drive it just lost all power, and would hardly move.like 1mph. So being a busy guy, I took it out to the vw guy.
I started it up, and drug it out to his place with someone in the bus steering and working the brakes. When the guy got to it a couple days later, he said it actually drove most of the way around the block, but died /limped the last 100 yards. Now bad compression. I really don't think he warmed it up. We have another round of snow coming thru, so I will get it next week and be able to check things out.

she fired up with a squirt. it does sound a bit different than when I dropped it off. higher revs/louder sounding. having it towed next weekend(flatbed) I will be present to make sure it does not get strapped down using tie rods or anything stupid. Not sure if I want to get into this darn thing this deep or not. Good knowledge gain, but fear of getting/going beyond ability and screwing something up. will prob start a thread and just take lots of pics and have yall sambans hold my hand.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 357, 358, 359 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 358 of 515

Jump to: