Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 360, 361, 362 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
mr matt wrote:
My stupid question #24,

What is this metal opening below the glove box?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I do not see it in any manual. My back is not in great shape right now to look under the dash to see if there are wires there.. but feels like it. I don't think it is a power supply as the opening appears to be to small... so it seems.

Think I will have to get another shot in my back to get my disc in order.. the shot is excruciating ! Shocked

Thanks
Its the mysterious silver socket, kind of a predecessor of today's USB port.

You can search for a vintage map light for it.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

eurodub wrote:
I live in a place where i should be happy i found a driver seat at all..

I would think that just cutting the rails off the tube frame would work. get out the measuring tape. you would need the little silver hook for the back of the seat, but that could be shipped from anywhere.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I started my 79 project that sat all winter. my wipers stay on when the bus is on. my guess is that water found its way thru the windshield and down into a relay?
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
mr matt wrote:
My stupid question #24,

I do not see it in any manual. My back is not in great shape right now to look under the dash to see if there are wires there.. but feels like it. I don't think it is a power supply as the opening appears to be to small... so it seems.

Think I will have to get another shot in my back to get my disc in order.. the shot is excruciating ! Shocked

Thanks

Few minutes searching, and have not found it.....

Will keep looking when I get more time.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
alman72 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
mr matt wrote:
My stupid question #24,

pic[/img]

Thanks

Few minutes searching, and have not found it.....

Will keep looking when I get more time.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Great, thanks busdaddy, incredibly helpful. Much appreciated!
fon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
fon wrote:
Hi Guys,
I am going to do some work on the luggage rods of my 70 westy, anyone know the proper rivet size, material and were to get them.

3/16" wide head aluminum or stainless steel with ~1/2" grip, get the backup washers for them as well, all found at Home depot and other hardware stores.
h

Thanks!!
Koeppler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

This one is about adjusting the cables for the fresh air flaps (not the heater cables) 68-70. The Bentley says the cables are adjustable but gives no how to.

So how do you adjust the cables more tight?

Is the adjustable part behind the instrument panel or the part you can see under the dash?

How much of a pain the butt is this?
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Pg. 1-47, Fig. 10-2 of Bentley manual shows the adjustable link at the base of the lever under the dash. I assume it's not closing.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carp442
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: 3 green knobs on dash. Cant identify one... Reply with quote

Wasted all day in manuals looking for this one-
1972 westy. Had heater, that green "temp" timer knob has been removed and an aftermarket key installed there.
But this Dash had 10 knobs... Still 2 greens. Not the rear defront knob...
What is #10? Under glove box lock. Solid green. Hidden Light in center. Wired to tail with yellow wire. Ends in engine bay near where gas heater was.
There is also a black "fog light" switch next to headlight switch with a heavy wire to the front bumper. Its a plain black knob with no insert. Im assuming it was for the now missing fog lights.

Rear fog light???
carp442
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

To clarify, im talking about the bright green knob far right on picture 2
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It's a period aftermarket European switch, likely Bosch or Hella, what it was intended for is only something the guy who installed it knows. Since the wire goes to the rear left area I'll guess rear fog lamp.

Ever decoded your M plate?, stuff like that is usually found on European delivered buses.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have a stupid question for which at one point I know the answer, but am now drawing a blank...what are people referring to when they say P/L's? and do I want rebuilt or new ones? I think the "P" is piston. The "L"? Thanks...
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

L would be liner, AKA cylinder from an ACVW perspective.

Слава Україні!
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Got it. Thanks B-Daddy.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
carp442
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

decoded the m tag years ago. All i could tell was that my westy was ordered in usa, picked up in europe, and delivered to usa after her first tour. Lots of codes came back no info...

Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

carp442 wrote:
decoded the m tag years ago. All i could tell was that my westy was ordered in usa, picked up in europe, and delivered to usa after her first tour. Lots of codes came back no info...

So your bus was part of VW's Tourist Delivery program. You live in the US. Buy your VW form the dealer here, but pick it up in Germany. THen you tour around Europe in your brand new bus. Then they ship it to your dealer when you head back home.

I always thought that would be a fantastic way to buy a campmobile.

That's kinda cool to imagine all the places that bus has been on the other side of the Atlantic. Neat

My 1968 Campmobile
Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

1969 Westy with wide fives.

I just got two tires, but I’m having trouble finding a place that can balance them. They’re on the rear, but I’d still rather have them balanced. Does anybody know of a shop near Stockton, CA that can balance tires on wide five rims?
1969 Westy, mostly stock, the Road Trip bus.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Stray Catalyst wrote:
1969 Westy with wide fives.

I just got two tires, but I’m having trouble finding a place that can balance them. They’re on the rear, but I’d still rather have them balanced. Does anybody know of a shop near Stockton, CA that can balance tires on wide five rims?

You might want to check with your local VW club.

My local shop (a Les Schwab Tire Center) can balance them using an adapter plate with removable pins that can be shifted around to match the holes in the rims.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I got my original wheels/tires balanced at Discount Tire no problem.

My 1968 Campmobile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 360, 361, 362 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 361 of 515

Jump to: