Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 364, 365, 366 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neena
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I've been rebuilding a pair of jalousie windows. Well, one so far. Pretty boring stuff. In the process, I managed not to lose any seals, parts, or hardware EXCEPT for the screws that secure the knobs to the crank mechanism.

What size is that screw?

Nothing we have laying around seems to be right!

'70 Riviera. 1600 SP with 30 PICT 3 carburetor, 205M distributor, stock muffler

@chaseyessi on Instagram
sestino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does a power taillight converter need to be on a keyed source of power?

I installed a Hopkins 46255 Power Taillight Converter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CMKG6O

The instructions for the Hopkins convert say to fuse the Hopkins power circuit and attach it directly to the battery. I guess that means the unit does not consume power when the light circuits are not live. Does that make sense?

Run the red battery feed wire from the power converter to the battery. Avoid the exhaust system, gas tank and drive train. Insert power feed wire into the fuse assembly, crimp connection and attach to positive (+) battery terminal. Use the wire ties provided to secure the battery feed wire. 20A fuse included. http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/doc/46255.pdf

I got everything hooked up today and it works. I have it on a fused line that I ran to the battery with a connector near the battery that I can unplug when I'm not using the trailer.

I can use a volte meter to see if it draws current when the bus is not running and the lights are off, but I just wondered if anyone has any experience with these. Thanks.
ChimpwithWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Whats the tin called that the front bumper side setup corner is mounted to? I am missing the pass side and cant mount my bumper side step and i can not figure out what piece it is call to order a new one. Thanks
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jim Bear wrote:
Any feedback on the MOFOCO type 4 rebuild kit?

http://www.mofoco.com/item/Type_4_VW_Bus_1700_1800_and_2000cc_Engine_Rebuild_Kit/3738/c188

Thanks...

My advice is to to wait and see what you need before buying an engine kit. Your crank is probably perfect and you may prefer webcam over stock regaind.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

ChimpwithWrench wrote:
Whats the tin called that the front bumper side setup corner is mounted to? I am missing the pass side and cant mount my bumper side step and i can not figure out what piece it is call to order a new one. Thanks
Without knowing the specific year of your bus I'll guess lower dogleg, try searching that and see if it's what you need.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Are heat exchangers necessary? I have a 78 westy 2.0 FI. I was told they help keep head temps low and not to drive it without them. I am wanting to install 72-74 exhaust system. The price for the heat exchangers without the boxes is much more affordable. What do y’all think?
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The exhaust ports on the heads don't match the earlier heater boxes.
You will want the heat when winter comes.
In this business, cheaper will bite your ass every time. These engines perform better with single exhaust btw.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Would 1.8 heads work on a 1.7 short block? Would it just be a matter of upgrading pistons and jugs? Would all 1.8 accessories (heat exchangers, alternator, stock carbs, etc.) work on a 1.7 short block?
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jim Bear wrote:
Would 1.8 heads work on a 1.7 short block? Would it just be a matter of upgrading pistons and jugs? Would all 1.8 accessories (heat exchangers, alternator, stock carbs, etc.) work on a 1.7 short block?

1.8L heads will work with either 93mm (1.8L) or 94mm (2.0L) jugs, but not 90mm (1.7L) jugs. They will work with the short block just fine and all the engine peripherals. It is easy and straight forward to upgrade from a 1.7L to an 1.8L if you are replacing the heads and P&C's anyway.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

any vendor have a good shift coupler (square) for a 73? Reading around it looks like you have to reinforce some of them and use a different rubber compound than what comes with it? I just want to cry once and not have to mess with it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello, this is a pretty dumb question. So its widely known that the areas on the body under the windshield and the lower sides rust out. I personally dont want to deal with bondo and i just want to instal new panels an forget it. My daily driver 95 saturn has spoiled me in terms of not having to worry about body rust ever (even if i dont wash it regularly and there is road salt). I have seen pictures of a custom green fiberglass vw bay on google and I dont expect that aftermarket parts exist, but does anyone know if there is a way to get actual plastic pannels for a bay? I'm searching google and all im coming up with is metal panels coated in plastic, and thats cool, but if there is integrety issues with the metal I would asume that you wouldnt be able to tell, so I'm jsut curious if I could just get like actual high quality plastic panels?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
any vendor have a good shift coupler (square) for a 73? Reading around it looks like you have to reinforce some of them and use a different rubber compound than what comes with it? I just want to cry once and not have to mess with it.

The best one I found was from "gasp" EMPI. It had the urethane rubber. I had to do some mild grinding on the cage to get it to fit over the shaft right. You also have to tack weld the pressed circular portion with the set screw to the rest of the cage/body. They are known to spin when the pressed portion loses it's strength.

I just saw this one which looks interesting https://www.jbugs.com/product/16-5105.html?gclid=E...gJOxvD_BwE

The German ones with black rubber are terrible. The rubber is way too soft. As a result, the rubber flexes too much causing slop in the shifting. This is why I went with the urethane blocks. They don't flex.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

16989473 wrote:
Hello, this is a pretty dumb question. So its widely known that the areas on the body under the windshield and the lower sides rust out. I personally dont want to deal with bondo and i just want to instal new panels an forget it. My daily driver 95 saturn has spoiled me in terms of not having to worry about body rust ever (even if i dont wash it regularly and there is road salt). I have seen pictures of a custom green fiberglass vw bay on google and I dont expect that aftermarket parts exist, but does anyone know if there is a way to get actual plastic pannels for a bay? I'm searching google and all im coming up with is metal panels coated in plastic, and thats cool, but if there is integrety issues with the metal I would asume that you wouldnt be able to tell, so I'm jsut curious if I could just get like actual high quality plastic panels?

The panels on Bays aren't removable, unless they are cut out. Fiberglass panels would have no way to be attached to the body.

So the simple answer to your question is.... no.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Davenlyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My bus currently has a "normal" fixed pane of glass in the sliding door, which is on the left as I have a RHD vehicle. I would like to replace this with a jalousie as I have been led to believe my '74 Westy should have this. Does anyone know if the jalousie window is interchangeable between the standard jalousie window above the sink etc to the sliding door one. If that makes any sense at all Smile
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I would think that repeated slamming of the door would be hard on the assembly.

Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Why not? All the LHD early bay westies I ever saw had jalousies on the sliders. So long as the opening's the same.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

16989473 wrote:

You're talking about body panels, right?
Your bus has a 'unibody' construction. This means the metal body panels are part of the structure of the vehicle. I'm not sure a plastic or fiberglass panel could provide the same function. If it did, it would have to be much thicker.

Volswagon wrote:

afaik, they all came with the windows in the slider. Mine still works fine after 51 years.

My 1968 Campmobile
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Davenlyn wrote:
Does anyone know if the jalousie window is interchangeable between the standard jalousie window above the sink etc to the sliding door one.

Yes they are interchangeable.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...sie+window
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:

I prefer my doors to click closed myself.
Door slammers can stay away.

Jack_O_Trades
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Has anyone sourced a replacement for the OEM wire loom used by VW? It seams like most of this is found in the engine bay. It looks like heat shrink that hasn’t been shrunk.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 364, 365, 366 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 365 of 515

Jump to: