Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 371, 372, 373 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
I was helping a friend of mine timing his 73 type 4 1700cc bus solex dual carb. All vacuum lines are new and smog pump removed and plugged, valves adjusted, and points are new and gaped correctly. This bus had been running great up until recently. He said he could not time the bus to the timing mark on the timing scale without stalling the motor. The distributor had recently been "rebuilt" and I feel like everything else in the ignition system is correct. The distributor is not working correctly I assume. If you advance the distributor it holds a higher idle but sputters and back fires. Any thoughts.

What timing mark is he referring to? The one on the distributor? the one on the fan? Does he has the timing scale attached to his engine (the type 4 has a scale and does not use the case seam)?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
orangebug60guy wrote:
I was helping a friend of mine timing his 73 type 4 1700cc bus solex dual carb. All vacuum lines are new and smog pump removed and plugged, valves adjusted, and points are new and gaped correctly. This bus had been running great up until recently. He said he could not time the bus to the timing mark on the timing scale without stalling the motor. The distributor had recently been "rebuilt" and I feel like everything else in the ignition system is correct. The distributor is not working correctly I assume. If you advance the distributor it holds a higher idle but sputters and back fires. Any thoughts.

What timing mark is he referring to? The one on the distributor? the one on the fan? Does he has the timing scale attached to his engine (the type 4 has a scale and does not use the case seam)?

I am referring to the scale on the fan housing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Check that the vacuum retard can on the distributor is holding vacuum and otherwise working correctly. Depending on year, your timing may be 12 to 17° too far retarded if you set the timing by the book and the vacuum retard function doesn't work.

If the retard can will not hold vacuum then the hose should be removed and plugged.

Because of this and other reasons of age and wear, it is best to set your timing at 28° BTDC @ 3500+ rpms, with the vacuum hose(s) removed and plugged.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Also, verify and double and triple check that spark plug wires are correct! ... its bites almost all of us at some point.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

jack-o-van wrote:
do you have another red wire going to the generator?

There's a separate, larger gauge red, wire that's not connected to anything. I think it goes to the positive on the battery.

busdaddy wrote:
Target wrote:
It's powered somehow and the starter cranks..

No, the starter terminal is used as a junction for all the live wires that need to be powered by the battery (production line convenience), that terminal on the starter remains live all the time, when you turn the key the internal solenoid connects it to the other large terminal and the starter cranks.
The fan needs constant power via that red wire and fuse, when you select heat the relay on the fan closes and powers the fan motor.

That makes perfect sense and I feel like a moron. I'm not used to vehicles with a solenoid on the starter. And rereading what I wrote, that should've been obvious that it would be hot and the starter would work

Does that confirm it's starter to blower relay then? Diagram appears to agree with that.[/i]
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So doing a little touch up painting and removed the sliding door retaining catch/latch. Easy - just three bolts and off it came.
Now for the life of me, I can't seem to get either of the aft bolts into the little sliding "nut panel".

Is there a trick to this? I tried putting a little electrician's tape on the "nut panel", just to hold it tight to the body, but no luck. That little thing slides up and down and leans back a bit (where I suppose the trouble is.

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Try putting a bolt in without the catch to hold the bracket in place.
Then start one bolt through the catch, with it clocked to the side.
Now pull the loose bolt out.
Swing the catch into place, and use the bolt installed to manipulate the bracket into place. So you can start the remaining bolts.

Does that make sense. You have one bolt in the bracket at all times to hold it in place.

Good luck
Tcash
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Tcash!
I'll give it a whirl - just the oddest thing how difficult it is to get them back in!
This part obviously is designed to be adjusted - what am I looking for in terms of adjusting the position?

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Look for the impression of where it was mounted in the paint.
If not You will need to play with it to get the door aligned.

Good luck
Tcash
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is it okay to put liquid sealant glue (eg. permatex aviation) under any paper gaskets that go against the block?

examples: oil pump, oil sump plate, fuel pump stand, alternator stand.

I've understood that where there's two gaskets (all of the above mentioned) the "outer most" should be put dry? is that the case?

thanks
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Should there be a pocket of air in the top of my master cylinder reservoir? The one right on top of my master cylinder?

I have about 1/4, inch of air up there that I can't seem to get out no matter what I do. sometimes it's the whole layer, sometimes it's just the towards drivers side part.

I made my own master cylinder brake bleeder, since master cylinder is still installed.

hooked up two brake lines into the master cylinder brake line ports (mine only has two) and submerged the other ends into brake fluid, and pump, pump, pumped the brakes (steady and slow)

I got quite a bit of air coming down through the lines, as I it bubbling in the brake fluid, but, even after all that air stopped, and I did a few more flushes, I couldn't get the top layer out

I know, I know, can't compress liquid but you can compress air et cetera

but I have been told by someone that it is normal and doesnt affect braking since there is a solid layer of fluid between.

Also, anyone have a video of the correct free-play in the pedal with regards to messing with the push-rod? I made the mistake of trying to adjust it

from reading a previous post by Colin I have realized what I thought was free-play was actually just the clevis pin swing action.....

pushing the pedal down with my hand I do feel it come in contact, then I push through that and I feel a bit of resistance....is the first contact what I am looking for, and the further resistance me pushing the seal of the master cylinder?

Also, is it possible I messed with the free-play in the push-rod too much, and, even though I didn't drive it, just the action of pushing the brake pedal down, and thus the master cylinder too far, messed up the seal and broke my MC?

Finally, my brand new brake caliper is causing quite a bit of drag on the wheel, could that be because my free-play was adjusted incorrectly and the return port was blocked? if so why would it affect only one side?

(I did switch out both calipers)

When I first removed the front (front means front) brake hose it wasn't even dripping at all....

71 Bus; front disc, rear drum

much appreciated!

I am on day four of trying to solve this myself and am at whits end!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

An air bubble in the top of the lower reservoir isn't a problem, one day you'll park on a hill the right way and it'll disappear, for now it has nothing to do with your issues.
Pedal freeplay should be in your Bentley manual, off the top of my head I'll say you should be able to depress the pedal ~1/2" using only one finger before thigs start to stiffen up and get harder to push. I doubt rod adjustment could damage a MC.
The dragging caliper could be a bad hose, corrosion in a steel line, poorly rebuilt caliper or bad master cylinder (although that last one usually makes both drag).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
The Quaint Gypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread 1970 Bay exhaust question Reply with quote

I have searched the forum and cannot find anything regarding alternate mufflers for an early bay, so asking here. Will a EMPI 2 Tip Exhaust System (like this one https://shop.kaddieshack.com/EMPI-2-Tip-Exhaust-System-Black-3418.htm ) fit on an early bay? Thank you kindly in advance [/b]
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What brake work have you done. Replaced master, booster, calipers, brake hoses, rear brake shoes?

[quote="scubasteve321"]
Also, anyone have a video of the correct free-play in the pedal with regards to messing with the push-rod? I made the mistake of trying to adjust it .
- The brake pedal pushrod adjustment is not determined by the brake pedal free play...
- You need to remove the splash pan, remove the cotter pin from the pushrod. With the brake pedal resting fully against its stop, adjust the pushrod so the Clevis pin slides through with no resistance. So the hole in the pushrod is aligned with the hole in the brake pedal...
Covered in the Bentley T2 Official Service Manual. PDF. Available online. To adjust clearance on vehicle with brake servo: section 8 pg. 6...

- Brake pedal free play is affected by rear brake shoe adjustment, wear in the brake pedal linkage.
When was the last time you adjusted your rear brakes...

Also, is it possible I messed with the free-play in the push-rod too much, and, even though I didn't drive it, just the action of pushing the brake pedal down, and thus the master cylinder too far, messed up the seal and broke my MC?
- NO

Finally, my brand new brake caliper is causing quite a bit of drag on the wheel, could that be because my free-play was adjusted incorrectly and the return port was blocked? if so why would it affect only one side?
- Yes this is possible. Although it usually effects both calipers. Adjust the brake pedal pushrod and retest.
- If you replaced the brake servo (booster) you need to check the booster pushrod to master cylinder clearance.
Brake Booster

When I first removed the front (front means front) brake hose it wasn't even dripping at all....
- Ok there are Rubber brake hoses and Hard brake lines.
1. If the brake pushrod was to long, it apply the brakes and block the compensation ports and not allow the brake fluid to drain. (If you don't want the reservoir to empty while you r working on the brakes, wedge a stick on the brake pedal applying the brakes slightly)
2. The Rubber brake hoses swell up and collapse inside restricting the brake fluid flow. There should be a date stamp on the Rubber brake hose. If they are older than 8-10 yrs old replace them.
3. If you changed the brake booster the booster pushrod may be too long and be applying the brakes, blocking the master cylinder compensation ports.

Good luck
Happy Fathers Day
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread 1970 Bay exhaust question Reply with quote

The Quaint Gypsy wrote:
I have searched the forum and cannot find anything regarding alternate mufflers for an early bay, so asking here. Will a EMPI 2 Tip Exhaust System (like this one https://shop.kaddieshack.com/EMPI-2-Tip-Exhaust-System-Black-3418.htm ) fit on an early bay? Thank you kindly in advance [/b]

Take a look through these. For the Hot Dog.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Might fit with a little mustard.
The Quaint Gypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread 1970 Bay exhaust question Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

LOL

And Yes, I too do not like EMPI since they Left Riverside CA and went to China, but I am poor, cannot afford something like Vintage Speed right now. I looked under the search you linked, again found nothing regarding this one. I figure that means it won't fit.

Looking at EMpi catalog right now since bugpack sold out to them... so far, I see it doesnt fit. oh well. will stick with ugly "Single Quiet" one I have had for 4 years now as though a little rusty outside, still solid.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread 1970 Bay exhaust question Reply with quote

The Quaint Gypsy wrote:
Tcash wrote:

LOL

And Yes, I too do not like EMPI since they Left Riverside CA and went to China, but I am poor, cannot afford something like Vintage Speed right now. I looked under the search you linked, again found nothing regarding this one. I figure that means it won't fit.

Looking at EMpi catalog right now since bugpack sold out to them... so far, I see it doesnt fit. oh well. will stick with ugly "Single Quiet" one I have had for 4 years now as though a little rusty outside, still solid.

I wasn't making any reference to the cost. The ad says the exhaust is referred to as a Hot Dog. It may fit.
But if you can swing another $92.92 plus tax and shipping.
http://www.busdepot.com/211251053ec

Good luck
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I bought a VW made set of headers from Bughaus for a very good price for my T-181 Thing. I would assume that they could be made to work on a bus as well.

Worth a call Wink
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is the fuel pump flange for a type 4 part number 021-127-303A? I'm having trouble verifying it.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:
Is the fuel pump flange for a type 4 part number 021-127-303A? I'm having trouble verifying it.

Yes, that seems correct:

https://www.busdepot.com/021127303a

Or save some money by ignoring the Type 1 product description:

https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/fuel-pump-flange-021127303a/

# 38 on the fiche here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 371, 372, 373 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 372 of 515

Jump to: