Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 375, 376, 377 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Before getting too carried away try twisting the headlight knob clockwise until it stops, you may get a pleasant suprise.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Jamminator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Really?? I will DEFINITELY try that when I get some time. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I installed led dash bulbs I got from eBay for under $10 bucks. Holy cow what a difference. Something to consider.
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:
I installed led dash bulbs I got from eBay for under $10 bucks. Holy cow what a difference. Something to consider.

Can you post a link to the LEDs?

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

There are lots of lights. It is difficult but not impossible to work with the cluster in place. It is a literal "pain in the neck" to work from under the dash. As Tcash noted in another thread, just look for the red and white wires. Pull out the plastic "clips" and replace the "rice grain" bulbs.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jamminator wrote:
Good morning all!

I'm about to take by 70 camper on a 2-week trip through the coast and woods of Maine.
http://jamieflorio.wixsite.com/brunosworld

I've done a lot to "Bruno", but there's one thing I've not figured out...my dash light is out. Where is that bulb?? anyone know?
thanks - Jamie

Please don't ask the same question in multiple post.
Thank you
Tcash

Tcash wrote:
Jamminator wrote:
my dash light is out. Where is that bulb?? anyone know?
thanks - Jamie

Have a great time. Start a new Post and post some pix for those of us stuck behind a computer.

First take a look at the owners manual, the headlight switch has a dash light dimmer switch built into it.
Pull the headlight switch and turn the knob clockwise all the way. IIRC this is the brightest setting. If not counter clockwise all the way.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/manuals70.php

Check your fuses and give them all a spin. Sometimes they loose contact and spinning them reconnects them.

Instrument light bulbs are located on the back of the instrument panel. The three White wires with the Red Dots are the instrument lights.
- N 17 751 2 = 2721 12v 1.2w Instrument/Warning light bulb
2723 12v 2.3w bulbs can be used for brighter Instrument illumination. (note: not to be used for warning idiot lights)
Light Bulb Chart T2

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Safe travels
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cv66seabear wrote:
Mispeld wrote:

Can you post a link to the LEDs?

LED lighting upgrades FAQ
VDO LED Bulb Upgrade

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343154&highlight=led+dash+lights
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=521993&highlight=led+dash+lights
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...ults=posts
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...ults=posts
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343154
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=521993
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks!

Anyone with advice on how to get the clutch cable through the rubber covers?

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I think these are the ones I ordered from Amazon (not ebay).
https://www.amazon.com/Dashboard-Instrument-Readin...ref=plSrch

The polarity on LEDs matter so check each bulb as you're putting them in to make sure it works. If not, rotate the bulb 180° and reinstall.

RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I know this is the wrong place but I've had no luck finding what I need in the beetle forum. I apparently don't know the correct way to do a search and I couldn't find what I need in the technical section so please be gentle.

I have a 67 beetle that I need to replace a portion of the fuel line that goes from the filter to the carb. What size fuel line do I need?

The flaps have been no help. They want me to bring in the piece of fuel line but I don't want to remove the line until I have the new piece.

Sorry guys there's no stupid question thread over there.

Thank you

Leslie

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:
I know this is the wrong place but I've had no luck finding what I need in the beetle forum. I apparently don't know the correct way to do a search and I couldn't find what I need in the technical section so please be gentle.

I have a 67 beetle that I need to replace a portion of the fuel line that goes from the filter to the carb. What size fuel line do I need?

The flaps have been no help. They want me to bring in the piece of fuel line but I don't want to remove the line until I have the new piece.

Thank you

Leslie

5.5 mm if we are discussing the rubber lines..

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
RixiesRide wrote:

Thank you

Leslie

Busdaddy, thank you!!!!!

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
RixiesRide wrote:

Thank you

Leslie

Busdaddy, thank you!!!!!

3/16" Gates Barricade will do well, maybe a bit hard to slip on.

You should consider wiring the hose to the carburetor so the inlet fitting on the carb can not be pulled out, or drill and tap the lid of the carb for a threaded fitting. Do a search on this.

It is best to not hang the weight of the filter off the carb, but to put the filter before the pump.
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is there normally a rubber insulating sheet that goes where the turn signals mount on the steering tube?

My tube is isolated without them clamped on the tube, but if I put them on, that would connect the ground for the high/low switch to the tube via the ears - defeating the isolation. I've added a rubber sheet to resolve it, but I'm wondering if I missed something.

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

guitarman63mm wrote:
Is there normally a rubber insulating sheet that goes where the turn signals mount on the steering tube?

No, metal on metal.

Слава Україні!
SlowRhode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
LoveTours415 wrote:
I hope this stupid question gets me in the right direction... I have a 73 bay window standard, that I want to convert to Automatic. Would an early vanagon automatic transmission work buy just modifying the flywheel?

Welcome!
Here's a collection of swap topics that will get you pointed in the right direction: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Not the OP but I have searched in vain & my question is similar:

I’m looking to convert a standard transmission Bay Window to Automatic using a Vanagon Transmission.

Finding a donor Bay Window Automatic to steal all the needed parts from Shifter -> Transmission seems to be Unobtanium.

HOWEVER finding a donor Vanagon isn’t a problem.

Does it seem plausible that the whole kit and kaboodle Vanagon shifter -> transmission assembly could be retrofitted into a Bay window? Aside from lengthening or shortening the cables & rods, does anyone see why this couldn’t be made to work?

I plan on crawling under a potential Vanagon parts bus to see it up close but thought someone out there may have tried this!

Thanks in advance!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SlowRhode wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
LoveTours415 wrote:
I hope this stupid question gets me in the right direction... I have a 73 bay window standard, that I want to convert to Automatic. Would an early vanagon automatic transmission work buy just modifying the flywheel?

Welcome!
Here's a collection of swap topics that will get you pointed in the right direction: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

I’m looking to convert a standard transmission Bay Window to Automatic using a Vanagon Transmission.

Finding a donor Bay Window Automatic to steal all the needed parts from Shifter -> Transmission seems to be Unobtanium.

Does it seem plausible that the whole kit and kaboodle Vanagon shifter -> transmission assembly could be retrofitted into a Bay window? Aside from lengthening or shortening the cables & rods, does anyone see why this couldn’t be made to work?

I plan on crawling under a potential Vanagon parts bus to see it up close but thought someone out there may have tried this!

Thanks in advance!

There were two different automatic transaxles used in a Bay, the later one being the same as used with the Vanagon. The controls are different between the early and late trannies.
SlowRhode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SlowRhode wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
LoveTours415 wrote:

Welcome!

Thanks in advance!

There were two different automatic transaxles used in a Bay, the later one being the same as used with the Vanagon. The controls are different between the early and late trannies.

Thank you, sorry I wasn’t more clear. I am aware of this and since I would be starting with a Manual Transmission Bus there would be no shifter, linkage, controls etc at all, would I be able to take the Vanagon mechanism (shifter, cables, rod, linkage, etc) and fit that into a Bay?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I should think with enough time,money ,enthusiasm , anything would be possible
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SlowRhode wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
SlowRhode wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
LoveTours415 wrote:

Welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Thank you, sorry I wasn’t more clear. I am aware of this and since I would be starting with a Manual Transmission Bus there would be no shifter, linkage, controls etc at all, would I be able to take the Vanagon mechanism (shifter, cables, rod, linkage, etc) and fit that into a Bay?

You would just have to mount the shift mechanism somehow and adapt the length of the shift and throttle cables. Might take some new holes in the frame crossmembers to get things aligned the way they need to be.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 375, 376, 377 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 376 of 515

Jump to: