Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 376, 377, 378 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey gang,

I joined up several years ago and have lurked without posting. Reading the amazing advice and looking at the incredible talent of everyone here has been fun. I’m a Pastor in Jonesboro Arkansas and was just given a fixer-upper 1971 VW Van. It has *no engine* and sat for 30 years in one place! It has a little rust here and there (mostly the front panel) but I’m surprised at the condition. I’m very excited to spend the next couple of years restoring her in my garage! She’s my first VW. 💜❤️💙

Here is my first stupid question: how much are complete VW van engines to purchase? Is there a rough estimate so I can start shopping?

Here is my second stupid question: I would love to turn her into a Manual Transmission. How can I do that? I’m not knowledgeable about transmissions.

Thank you kindly for all your help and advice. I sincerely appreciate it!

-Brother Chuck

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle
1971 VW Bus (Currently under restoration)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Here's a stupid question for you all.
Why does my new head studs kit have 3 of the middle length (upper outer) and 9 of the longer one (bottom 8 ).
does the 9th long one replace one of the middle length ones, and if so which one?
1600 (AS) dual port rebuild.

SiameseCitys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I wanted to not bother the board with, what I think, is such an extra stupid question, but I can’t find ANY documentation for this.

Primer: I got my ‘78 champagne edition bus from someone that didn’t know anything about it. There was no owner’s manual. I bought spark plugs the internet told me would fit. They didn’t. I downloaded a scanned owner’s manual, i bought the spark plugs usted in there, they were the same size as the previously purchased ones. I had auto zone order the ones their computer said were a crossover from the one I have... they arrived and were also not right.

As you can see, it’s a very wide thread, and not as long as some of the ones I’ve seen listed as “fits” my bus. Everything I’ve read has thread diameters at 14mm for my bus, with a thread reach of 19mm. But when I take a ruler to my spark plugs it’s more like 16mm and 17 or 18mm respectively.

Any guidance on what my options are? Can I shop for spark plugs by size anywhere? I’ve heard that CEs had “Porsche engines” should I look to for a different engine type to figure out my spark plug needs? The only vintage Volkswagen mechanic I’ve found stopped working on (or dealing with, I don’t remember the exact phrase) VWs that are newer than ‘72.
Any resources, suggestions, or straight up answers are appreciated.
Thanks guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SiameseCitys wrote:
I wanted to not bother the board with, what I think, is such an extra stupid question, but I can’t find ANY documentation for this.

Primer: I got my ‘78 champagne edition bus from someone that didn’t know anything about it. There was no owner’s manual. I bought spark plugs the internet told me would fit. They didn’t. I downloaded a scanned owner’s manual, i bought the spark plugs usted in there, they were the same size as the previously purchased ones. I had auto zone order the ones their computer said were a crossover from the one I have... they arrived and were also not right.

As you can see, it’s a very wide thread, and not as long as some of the ones I’ve seen listed as “fits” my bus. Everything I’ve read has thread diameters at 14mm for my bus, with a thread reach of 19mm. But when I take a ruler to my spark plugs it’s more like 16mm and 17 or 18mm respectively.

Any guidance on what my options are? Can I shop for spark plugs by size anywhere? I’ve heard that CEs had “Porsche engines” should I look to for a different engine type to figure out my spark plug needs? The only vintage Volkswagen mechanic I’ve found stopped working on (or dealing with, I don’t remember the exact phrase) VWs that are newer than ‘72.
Any resources, suggestions, or straight up answers are appreciated.
Thanks guys.

That looks like it had a helicoil installed to repair stripped threads in the head.
SiameseCitys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:

That looks like it had a helicoil installed to repair stripped threads in the head.

Wow, you’d think one of the 5 people I’ve spoken to at auto part stores would recognize that. Thank you.

So when I tried to use my replacement plugs they just kept spinning, does that mean I have to add helicoil to all my spark plugs to match the width of these old ones?
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SiameseCitys wrote:
BSQUARE wrote:

Wow, you’d think one of the 5 people I’ve spoken to at auto part stores would recognize that. Thank you.

So when I tried to use my replacement plugs they just kept spinning, does that mean I have to add helicoil to all my spark plugs to match the width of these old ones?

Yes.
I've had success with the "Time-Sert" and "Keen-Sert" brands from the local auto parts store. They're a sleeve (as opposed to a coil, like a helicoil), that's threaded inside and out.

On second glance, yours looks like the Time-Sert.
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SatireChuck wrote:

Here is my first stupid question: how much are complete VW van engines to purchase? Is there a rough estimate so I can start shopping?

Here is my second stupid question: I would love to turn her into a Manual Transmission. How can I do that? I’m not knowledgeable about transmissions.

Can't really help you on the auto -> manual swap, but we sold our complete 77 2L fuel injected engine and 4sp 091 transmission complete (including FI and ECU) for $1500 last fall.

Keep an eye on the classifieds... good luck!
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey everyone.

I'm working on wiring up a relay that needs signal from a switched source. The kit says the wire is only rated for 10 amps, which I believe means I can't use #9 from the fuse block (because it's 16 amps). I was wondering if anyone could tell me another good 8 amp switched source. Kit says I'm supposed to tap into the hot side of the terminal, but these fuses can't really be tapped.

I'm seeing a black and yellow wire that has power in run and the black ignition wire that has power in start and run.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target it will be ok there, Fuse may not protect relay but who cares about a relay. I would just run of the 30 wire and if you want a fuse use an inline 8 amp fuse for it.
Is it your fuel relay?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:
Hey everyone.

I'm working on wiring up a relay that needs signal from a switched source. The kit says the wire is only rated for 10 amps, which I believe means I can't use #9 from the fuse block (because it's 16 amps). I was wondering if anyone could tell me another good 8 amp switched source. Kit says I'm supposed to tap into the hot side of the terminal, but these fuses can't really be tapped.

I'm seeing a black and yellow wire that has power in run and the black ignition wire that has power in start and run.

What year Volkswagen bus are we working on? The fuse layouts changed throughout the years.

If there is nothing else on that fuse, feel free to change it to an 8-amp white fuse.

If you would like to piggyback onto existing circuits, or "tap" in, then use some of these on the new components to avoid changing your vehicle's factory wiring:

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello everybody!
Have a 1978 2.0L EFI Westy. Had the Injector resistor block fail on me (engine wouldn't start, new pack fixed the problem), so I switched it out with a back up unit. Now the bus is jerking and bucking ever so slightly when I lightly accelerate, starts around 2k rpm. The pack I had on my bus was part # 022 906 079, and the replacement is part # 0 280 159 001. Question, are these different??

Thanks! I can't seem to find many specs on these packs.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

At the ECU plug, terminal 10 connected to 14/15/32/33 (one at a time) with an ohm-meter should give you 7-9 ohms. This will test the wiring from resistor pack all the way through the fuel injectors. When you’re taking the reading, get be meter to stabilize and have a helper gently prod the wires and connectors to see if the meter flickers, indication a possible dirty connection.

If your resistance lands in that ballpark, broaden your search to include nearby items. Did you bump a hose off the plenum in your work? Knock the TS2 wire out of connection?

Let us know how it goes!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Please don't hate on me for asking this. I know someone will. Laughing I've seen those lovely wooden steering wheels and I was thinking of buying one. But they are literally between $400 and $500 dollars.

Are there any that are slightly more affordable you all can recommend please? I'm afraid of buying one then finding out that I paid way way way too much. I came to the experts for help!

Thank you kindly!

---Brother Chuck

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle
1971 VW Bus (Currently under restoration)
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:
Hello everybody!
Have a 1978 2.0L EFI Westy. Had the Injector resistor block fail on me (engine wouldn't start, new pack fixed the problem), so I switched it out with a back up unit. Now the bus is jerking and bucking ever so slightly when I lightly accelerate, starts around 2k rpm. The pack I had on my bus was part # 022 906 079, and the replacement is part # 0 280 159 001. Question, are these different??

Thanks! I can't seem to find many specs on these packs.

They are all the same. If the resistance checks out, and these really don’t wear out, your problem lies elsewhere. However here is a small upgrade for making the wire last...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660153&highlight=

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
heerojyuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

When adjusting valves on rigs with hydraulic lifters, do you do so at TDC or 7.5 BTDC? From the sound of my engine, I am guessing that it must be TDC 😅😅😅
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

heerojyuy wrote:
When adjusting valves on rigs with hydraulic lifters, do you do so at TDC or 7.5 BTDC? From the sound of my engine, I am guessing that it must be TDC 😅😅😅

TDC and then determine if you are on #1 or on #3
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

heerojyuy wrote:

Anything within 90° +/- of TDC is fine.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

maz-o wrote:
Here's a stupid question for you all.
Why does my new head studs kit have 3 of the middle length (upper outer) and 9 of the longer one (bottom 8 ).
does the 9th long one replace one of the middle length ones, and if so which one?
1600 (AS) dual port rebuild.

I don't see this answered, so…

All Type 1 cases made after the late '70s-ish have what's called a "deep studded #3" cylinder spigot. If you're looking at the left side of the case, where cylidner #3 lives, you will notice the top left stud hole is actually set a few inches deeper into the case to prevent common cracking on older cases.

Single port engines use long on bottom, short on top, and long in the deep #3 top left. Dual port engines use long on bottom and deep #3, short studs in the top center studs closest to the intake manifold, and medium-length studs on the top outer studs except the deep #3. So looking at a dual port 1-2 (right side) head would look like this:

Code:
M-S-S-M
L-L-L-L

Looking at the left side of the dual-port head looks like this:

Code:
L-S-S-M
L-L-L-L

Good luck!
Robbie
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

A couple weeks back we were commenting on dual carbs fitted from CB Performance. I was very interested as they looked to be able to bolt on the 74 linkage and be used conventionally. Does anyone remember who was installing those and what the thread link is?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

As long as I'm geeking out with installing new gauges, I'm thinking about adding a tach. ISP West sells a nice looking one...

https://www.vwispwest.com/jzv/prod?itemId=55454

...but it is only the tach and mounting hardware. I haven't found a site for the pickup coil (?). Anyone know where to find one and where it gets installed/attached?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 376, 377, 378 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 377 of 515

Jump to: