Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 384, 385, 386 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

While browsing the classified I came upon this picture and saw something I've never seen on a bus, some sort of belly pan. Is that stock? What is the name of the part?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

That's a BA6 belly pan if I've ever seen one… More info about the heater here, and people who can answer questions better than I… Cool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=331276

Interesting, no pictures or part numbers there though…
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JCurry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My wife talked me into buying her a 73 bus. It does not have an engine at this time, and I have been looking for one for awhile, but I seem to get conflicting answers as to what will fit, and what will not fit. I just need something to bolt in and drive, not looks for Subaru conversions or anything like that. Will bug engines go directly into the bus? I have a guy with a 75 bus engine for sale which he says will go in fine, but my buddy says that it will not go.

Please help me out!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

JCurry wrote:
My wife talked me into buying her a 73 bus. It does not have an engine at this time, and I have been looking for one for awhile, but I seem to get conflicting answers as to what will fit, and what will not fit. I just need something to bolt in and drive, not looks for Subaru conversions or anything like that. Will bug engines go directly into the bus? I have a guy with a 75 bus engine for sale which he says will go in fine, but my buddy says that it will not go.

Please help me out!

A 75 bus engine (type 4) will go right in, you'll have to modify the fuel tank and install an aircleaner mount to use the FI, or convert it to carbs. Beetle engines (type 1) can be made to fit with a few modifications and special parts: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483408&highlight=

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

JCurry wrote:
My wife talked me into buying her a 73 bus.

She (wife, not bus) sounds like a keeper to me!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Front license Plate Reply with quote

I just got an $85 ticket for not having a front license plate. The original one was secured by two screws through the middle of the plate to the front bumper. The plate took a lot of damage throughout the years. Any suggestions for a better mount? (1970 [early bay]).

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front license Plate Reply with quote

wihr wrote:
I just got an $85 ticket for not having a front license plate. The original one was secured by two screws through the middle of the plate to the front bumper. The plate took a lot of damage throughout the years. Any suggestions for a better mount? (1970 [early bay]).

WW

Mine is still held on by the screws from 1968. In fact. I can't get one out, so I put the other back in, and it's still there. As it always has been.

Why not the same system that worked for 50 years?

My 1968 Campmobile
Zonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello!
I have a 1970 Adventurecamper and have been fixing it up. In the pic it's on a trailer but it runs pretty good (leaky carb, bad breaks) and I have only driven it around my ranch. I've been fixing the brakes. I don't like having to remove a castle nut to service the brakes. I'm guessing this is why VW discontinued it's usage 1971+?

Here's where my stupid questions begin.

PERTAINING TO REAR HUB REMOVAL TO ACCESS BRAKES

1.) What are my options to use something different then the castle nut rear?
2.) Can I use 1971+ rear setup?
3.) Should I just go to some kind of aftermarket disc brake setup? 4.) Should I stop whining and just stick with the castle nut rear?
5.) Is there any advantages to having a castle nut? Rolling Eyes

Thanks! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Nice looking bus!
I'd be more concerned about fixing that fuel leak and replacing ALL the fuel lines before it caught fire, it won't be so nice anymore if that happens.

Removing the drum isn't a big job if you have the right tools, this makes it easy and can ride along in the bus for roadside use: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7045
There's not many times that drum has to come off once the brakes are dialed in, count on replacing the cylinders and shoes (& maybe cables) and cleaning everything else up. Adjustments and shoe thickness inspections are done from outside through conveniently placed holes, keep them adjusted and there's no real need to remove the drum regularly.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7045

"WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm" Shocked
What did they do, make them out of Uranium??? Rolling Eyes

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Zonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'll get better at taking the castle nuts off.

Here's a pic of my wheel. The tire is a 165 sr15 so this must be the wide 5 wheel. After some research, this doesn't appear to be a bus wheel because the valve stem doesn't line up with the lug nut. Sad My tires are old and I want to get all new tires.

Stupid questions.

1.) Am I correct to assume this is not a bus wheel?
2.) Should I replace these wheels with other wide 5 SB wheels OR get some 14" bus wheels or even something else?
3.) What are advantages to 15" SB wheels as opposed to 14" stock wheels?

Thanks! Very Happy

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Looks like a bug wheel, not nearly as strong as a real bus wheel, narrower too. 14" wide 5 bay wheels aren't hard to find, they are guaranteed to be up to the weight of a fully loaded camper and will play well with transmission ratios and speedometers. Careful when shopping for aftermarket alloys, most are cast not forged and are 15".
Make sure whatever tires you choose have the C load rating or better yet LT.

Слава Україні!
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

JCurry wrote:

Please help me out!

that engine will fit just fine. if you put dual carbs on it, it should be pretty simple to get up and running.

1975 was originally fuel injected, so if it comes with all of the fuel injection stuff - that would be great to install as well (though you will have to slightly modify the gas tank for the return line.)
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So when did they start to change radio sizes? Up to when will fit in the stock dash hole without modification?

Ive been eyeing 80's Blaupunkt for some time and have yet to pull the trigger.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-Classic-Blaup...Swkshbr8g-

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

when you buy repair panels that have some factory paint on them, is it necessary to strip all of the paint and re-primer? or can you strip just the welding contacts and leave the rest
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
So when did they start to change radio sizes? Up to when will fit in the stock dash hole without modification?

Ive been eyeing 80's Blaupunkt for some time and have yet to pull the trigger.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-Classic-Blaup...Swkshbr8g-

Pre 1984 apparently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7736

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

maz-o wrote:
when you buy repair panels that have some factory paint on them, is it necessary to strip all of the paint and re-primer? or can you strip just the welding contacts and leave the rest

Which factory?, if it's a used part cut from a vehicle and has strong original paint that's already been stuck for close to 50 years then leave it as a base.
If it's a newly manufactured part coated in something for shipping it's safest to strip and start with bare metal unless the Mfg. specifically states it's OK to use as is.

Слава Україні!
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I've found very little info on this Japanese Blaupunkt Tucson cassette I had in my old Bug.
I'll probably put it in the Bus. It has 2 sets of RCA outs, F/R, got it in '83.
I was amazed back then that the Dolby button worked with the radio as well.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Are all the car covers the same? I know thats a stupid question. What I mean is:
I see car covers as cheap as $25 up to $150 on ebay and other places. Some say waterproof/water resistant. Some have zippers. Anybody try these different styles and have any opinions? I live in Ohio, so rain and ice are the norm. Im just trying to keep water out and from laying wet touching the outside. Anyone have any recommendations?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Sawspa wrote:
Are all the car covers the same? I know thats a stupid question. What I mean is:
I see car covers as cheap as $25 up to $150 on ebay and other places. Some say waterproof/water resistant. Some have zippers. Anybody try these different styles and have any opinions? I live in Ohio, so rain and ice are the norm. Im just trying to keep water out and from laying wet touching the outside. Anyone have any recommendations?

Yes. Go buy a tarpaulin from home depot. Crack one window maybe a half inch. Put two desiccant bead type dehumidifiers in the bug. Car covers a shitty for keeping out the water. If you do get a car cover because the paint is nice - then it acts as a good buffer for the tarp.

Then bungee it all down.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 384, 385, 386 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 385 of 515

Jump to: