Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 385, 386, 387 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Sawspa wrote:
Are all the car covers the same? I know thats a stupid question. What I mean is:
I see car covers as cheap as $25 up to $150 on ebay and other places. Some say waterproof/water resistant. Some have zippers. Anybody try these different styles and have any opinions? I live in Ohio, so rain and ice are the norm. Im just trying to keep water out and from laying wet touching the outside. Anyone have any recommendations?

Yes. Go buy a tarpaulin from home depot. Crack one window maybe a half inch. Put two desiccant bead type dehumidifiers in the bug. Car covers a shitty for keeping out the water. If you do get a car cover because the paint is nice - then it acts as a good buffer for the tarp.

Then bungee it all down.

Thanks. Its a camper bus, and the paint isn’t really that nice. I forgot to ask about the fit as well. But tarps would work too I suppose. I do get in and out of my bus and also drive it occasionally, so Ease of use and access matters. Ive seen some nice ones that look form fitting with zipper doors, but if they aren’t waterproof, whats the point.
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Sawspa wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Sawspa wrote:
Are all the car covers the same? I know thats a stupid question. What I mean is:
I see car covers as cheap as $25 up to $150 on ebay and other places. Some say waterproof/water resistant. Some have zippers. Anybody try these different styles and have any opinions? I live in Ohio, so rain and ice are the norm. Im just trying to keep water out and from laying wet touching the outside. Anyone have any recommendations?

Yes. Go buy a tarpaulin from home depot. Crack one window maybe a half inch. Put two desiccant bead type dehumidifiers in the bug. Car covers a shitty for keeping out the water. If you do get a car cover because the paint is nice - then it acts as a good buffer for the tarp.

Then bungee it all down.

I might try a pop up canopy with a large tarp over top of that, which would help make walls. If it can hold ip to the snow it might be like an instant garage. If i do it, i will post a pic. Im sure it will be beautiful.

Thanks. Its a camper bus, and the paint isn’t really that nice. I forgot to ask about the fit as well. But tarps would work too I suppose. I do get in and out of my bus and also drive it occasionally, so Ease of use and access matters. Ive seen some nice ones that look form fitting with zipper doors, but if they aren’t waterproof, whats the point.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I re-installed the drive train yesterday by myself for the first time. All went well, except for the two bolts that support the rear of the transmission. I was able to get them in the locations, but they are tight and can't get them to catch the captured nuts. I've tried raising and lowering the drive train a little at a time, and threading the bolts but with no success. (The mustache bar and nose cone are both loosely attached.)

Is there a slick trick that someone has for installing those two bolts?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
I re-installed the drive train yesterday by myself for the first time. All went well, except for the two bolts that support the rear of the transmission. I was able to get them in the locations, but they are tight and can't get them to catch the captured nuts. I've tried raising and lowering the drive train a little at a time, and threading the bolts but with no success. (The mustache bar and nose cone are both loosely attached.)

You mean the ones over the bellhousing, right?
Laying under the bus with your head to the front and your feet under the rear bumper has always worked for me, you may have to straddle a jack that a helper operates while you lift or tilt the engine with your knees and feel for when a bolt feels loose and goes in freely. You have to find the extremes of too far down or up and find the middle between them, jack a little and try it, worse?, or better?, if better jack a bit more, if worse let it down a hair.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks BD! I'll give that a try.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Sawspa wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Sawspa wrote:

Then bungee it all down.

It's good you occasionally use it. Get 2 of the desiccant/dehumidifier packs. Then rotate them every time you uncover the bus to drive it. In between you can 'recharge' the desiccant for the next swap.

My 1968 Campmobile
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
KentPS wrote:

You mean the ones over the bellhousing, right?
Laying under the bus with your head to the front and your feet under the rear bumper has always worked for me, you may have to straddle a jack that a helper operates while you lift or tilt the engine with your knees and feel for when a bolt feels loose and goes in freely. You have to find the extremes of too far down or up and find the middle between them, jack a little and try it, worse?, or better?, if better jack a bit more, if worse let it down a hair.

Yup, that did the trick. Thanks again, BusDaddy. Dancing

I think my previous problem was trying to lift the drive train from the engine. This time I put a small floor jack under the trans, and slowly lifted from there. Just a couple pumps and both bolts went in.
Now the engine is secure, and time to connect everything else. I'll work on it again tonight after work. Maybe she'll be running by the end of the week? Cool

---WildIdea

maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is there some distinction which models had the vertical or horizontal lines on the seat upholstery?
I'm going to reupholster these for my camper converted bus, but don't know which covers to go with... Confused

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(they're sourced from different buses since I had a 1+2 bench on a walkthrough body, and wanted 1+1 ones instead)
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

maz-o wrote:
Is there some distinction which models had the vertical or horizontal lines on the seat upholstery?
I'm going to reupholster these for my camper converted bus, but don't know which covers to go with... Confused

(they're sourced from different buses since I had a 1+2 bench on a walkthrough body, and wanted 1+1 ones instead)

The white one is from a commercial (kombi, truck, etc..), the red one is from a deluxe (microbus), both look to be in the 68-73 range.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What is the official name for this cover, and the one in the rear? I'm looking for part numbers, but couldn't find anything after quite a while in the fiche…

Thanks!
Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
What is the official name for this cover, and the one in the rear? I'm looking for part numbers, but couldn't find anything after quite a while in the fiche…

Sliding door catch cover - 221 843 698B

https://www.vwheritage.com/221843698b-sliding-door-catch-cover-right-vw-spare

I don’t have a rear cover in my ‘79 Bus.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

stevespeirs wrote:

Thank you, Steve!

I recall seeing nice little 10mm bolt head caps on the low-milage late bays I worked on this summer, but I can't remember which early years had the rear cover.

Thanks again,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
stevespeirs wrote:

Thank you, Steve!

I recall seeing nice little 10mm bolt head caps on the low-milage late bays I worked on this summer, but I can't remember which early years had the rear cover.

Thanks again,
Robbie

I still have the caps on mine. Let me see if I can read the part number on the inside.... Idea

Update: looks like 211 843 689, but the text is tiny. That part # doesn't show up on a Google or VW Classic Parts search either.
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is there a knack to getting the rubber tube onto the bottom of the window regulator? Heat? Lube? Other?

Mine was missing (surprise, surprise). Found a replacement in classifieds, but struggling to push it onto the regulator.

Also, do all doors (mine's a '79) have the "rear window guide channel" mentioned in the following tutorial? Supposed to be located at the rear of the door, secured by a 10mm head bolt and spring clip.

http://type2.com/rvanness/lock.htm

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Sit the end of the tube in boiling water for a minute before installing.
No guide channel on later models, it's mostly an early bay thing.

Слава Україні!
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
Are there any antenna's made that you can unscrew if you want to go through an automatic car wash?

The typical vertical mount antenna like the dealer installed, as I already have the hole for that drilled in the body.

Why yes, sir, there is.

It turns out that if you order the following from CIP1.com, you will get an antenna that unscrews from the base as needed, though it isn't promoted as such on the websites:
ACC-C10-3340-CH - CHROME SINGLE BASE SIDE MOUNT ANTENNA - BEETLE 46-79 / BUS 50-79 / THING 73-74 / 80-92 VANAGON
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I purchased this one for $15 and it unscrews. It's not the best quality but it works.

https://www.amazon.com/RetroSound-MV-4977-01-FC-1-...ref=plSrch
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

This may qualify as a stupid question. Is the lip of the fuel filler supposed to be bent? I'm replacing the filler neck seals. I don't see a purpose for it but figured I'd ask before bending it back.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Bend it back, that's wrong as it is now.

Слава Україні!
Poppy68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

This is going to sound stupid but really don't know who else to ask......

Restoring my 68 Baywindow Camper and have bought a lot of new seals. I bought the one piece engine lid seal. My question is if you install the one piece rear engine seal how do you remove the rear apron and engine when you want to do engine work? Will the bottom part of the seal that usually is on the apron be hanging in front of the engine bay blocking the opening?

Any comments are appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 385, 386, 387 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 386 of 515

Jump to: