Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 386, 387, 388 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Poppy68 wrote:
if you install the one piece rear engine seal how do you remove the rear apron and engine when you want to do engine work?

You just don't glue the bottom legs. It will stay in place just fine without glue. In fact, many seals do not need glue
anywhere, they are very snug in their channels.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm replacing carpet while I wait on filler neck parts. It looks like PO may have added the piece of wood under the sink that rests on top of the carpet padding/wood stuff. Is this supposed to be there or was it added? I never noticed a lip under the carpet. Should I leave It or take it out?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Edit: looks like I'm missing the other half of the subfloor from what I can tell that fits on the passenger side.

Last edited by Mispeld on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Poppy68 wrote:
This is going to sound stupid but really don't know who else to ask......

Restoring my 68 Baywindow Camper and have bought a lot of new seals. I bought the one piece engine lid seal. My question is if you install the one piece rear engine seal how do you remove the rear apron and engine when you want to do engine work? Will the bottom part of the seal that usually is on the apron be hanging in front of the engine bay blocking the opening?

Any comments are appreciated.

The OG seal was split dead center of the lower strip, the ends can be pulled out of the apron and left hanging to get the engine out.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

You simply remove the seal. You do not glue it in place.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
Poppy68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I knew it was simple. Thanks busdaddy and wihr!!
Koeppler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have to pull the exhaust on a early bay ('69). What all do you guys take off the bus to get at the upper exhaust nuts for #2 and #4? Do you pull the bumper and rear valence? Remove the rear tin?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Koeppler wrote:
I have to pull the exhaust on a early bay ('69). What all do you guys take off the bus to get at the upper exhaust nuts for #2 and #4? Do you pull the bumper and rear valence? Remove the rear tin?

Remove the body apron and the rear engine tin, you should be able to reach around the bumper no problem. In severe cases put a jack under the engine and loosen/remove the mustache bar as well, those clamps between the heat exchangers and muffler are challenging.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Koeppler wrote:

I enjoy liberal use of an s-wrench when getting early bay exhausts off:

https://www.google.com/search?q=s-wrench&oq=s-...p;ie=UTF-8

If you're removing the entire exhaust system, I recommend removing the heat exchangers first, so the muffler has a liiiiiittle bit more room to wiggle free once you remove the fasteners.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Koeppler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips busdaddy and asiab3. I can't remember who I loaned my set of s-wrenches to. I guess I'll have to do it the busdaddy way.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Koeppler wrote:
Thanks for the tips busdaddy and asiab3. I can't remember who I loaned my set of s-wrenches to. I guess I'll have to do it the busdaddy way.

I don't even own S-wrenches and have zero problems removing a stock muffler on my 70' bus. As mentioned, the biggest pain is the 10mm nut's and bolts on the donut clamps. Still easy to do with 1/4" socket set and 10mm wrench.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

We did a muffler job this weekend. If you have a BN4, there's no way you're getting the valence out without removing the bumper. The BN4 mounting bracket ensures that you'll never be able to lift the valence up high enough on that side to clear the bumper. Just thought I'd add this.

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Two questions about this steering swing on the beam:

1) It looks pretty shoddy, I assume it's repaired by a previous owner?
2) Are those very noticeable holes supposed to be there? Or should I weld them up?

Thanks

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Don't look like the best welds in the world, but the holes may have been left to drain out the water.
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Don't look like the best welds in the world, but the holes may have been left to drain out the water.

okay thanks!
so when I pump new grease into the center zerk, will it sip out of these holes? or is it not directly connected to the greased area?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

maz-o wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

okay thanks!
so when I pump new grease into the center zerk, will it sip out of these holes? or is it not directly connected to the greased area?

If grease comes out of there you have problems, as WT's says likely to allow water drainage and most likely factory, pretty good, but more good than pretty.

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Do these fuel hardiness look like they are in their correct spots?

They seem to be, based off of this diagram.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Yes, of course you'll find out if you are wrong when you try to fit them, if they cam off that engine they must fit back somewhere.

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Yes, of course you'll find out if you are wrong when you try to fit them, if they cam off that engine they must fit back somewhere.

That's the thing, they didn't come off of my engine (77), they are from a 78-79. I'm upgrading to these to minimize the length of hose being used in order to lessen the chances of hose failure. I'll either be using the hoses German supply supplied in their kit with the ratwell recommended hose clamps or I'll get some Gates FI rated hose.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I would argue that the number of hose to tube joints in the fuel system corresponds to fire risk more closely than the length of hoses.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I would argue that the number of hose to tube joints in the fuel system corresponds to fire risk more closely than the length of hoses.

Under the assumption that more fuel leaking is happening at the hose clamp connections Vs frayed/split/cracked hoses somewhere along the length of hose?

The failures ive found thus far have all been little cracks along the line of the hose and not at the clamping position, but I don't have a large enough sample set to pull from to make a guess one way or the other.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 386, 387, 388 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 387 of 515

Jump to: