Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 420, 421, 422 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
could it be low gear oil?

Nope, sounds like internal wear where the gear slides on the shaft, it's too late for oil now.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
alman72 wrote:

Nope, sounds like internal wear where the gear slides on the shaft, it's too late for oil now.

bad gear, shaft, or both? I do realize your x-ray vision cant see it from there, but hypothetically...
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I want to read up on type IV engine installs on older buses that originally had a type I engine. Does anyone have any good links on the process or what a good search term would be? I’ve found type 1 installs into buses that used to have type IV engine but not the opposite.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
alman72 wrote:

bad gear, shaft, or both? I do realize your x-ray vision cant see it from there, but hypothetically...

Could be many things, I tried a search including "solved" but it came up blank, here's a few on "pops gear" (words with 3 letters or less don't search so it's the best I can do for key words.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I want to read up on type IV engine installs on older buses that originally had a type I engine. Does anyone have any good links on the process or what a good search term would be? I’ve found type 1 installs into buses that used to have type IV engine but not the opposite.

Here's a start on your journey:

Слава Україні!
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Vacuum hose - how much Reply with quote

I want to replace ALL my vacuum hose in my FI '78 bus.

About how many feet should I buy / would I need?

Thanks

Barry sends
'78 Westy ... purchased 11 Dec 06 ($9,000); sand blasted/primered 7 Jan 07 ($1,200); body shop 3 Apr 07 ($2,000); paint shop 7 Nov 07 ($6,000); home 22 Apr 08; started TLC 28 Aug 08; got very first sign of life 8 Jun 2010; Run about 1,000 miles in Florida in May 2011; 1,600 miles road trip Orlando-Key West-Aldie Virginia 10-26 Mar 2020 (COVID-19 started)

Thanks for all the fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum hose - how much Reply with quote

honeybus wrote:

Thanks

Barry sends

Hell, you are going to remove/ replace ALL your vacuum hose? Pull all your 3.5mm vacuum hose off your tin can and lay it end to end. Then measure. Then measure again...

Since you are going to pull all off all the hose anyways , try solving your problem / answer your stupid question yourself instead of wasting my time reading your stupid postings

Very respectfully

Barry's other self sends
'78 Westy ... purchased 11 Dec 06 ($9,000); sand blasted/primered 7 Jan 07 ($1,200); body shop 3 Apr 07 ($2,000); paint shop 7 Nov 07 ($6,000); home 22 Apr 08; started TLC 28 Aug 08; got very first sign of life 8 Jun 2010; Run about 1,000 miles in Florida in May 2011; 1,600 miles road trip Orlando-Key West-Aldie Virginia 10-26 Mar 2020 (COVID-19 started)

Thanks for all the fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So I was futzing around with the steering wheel on my 71 today and realized that there's lateral play in the steering shaft (aka, grab the wheel and it'll shift about an eighth of an inch in either direction) and play in colum (which I know is that collar piece down at the bottom).

I swear I saw a thread about that bearing for the steering shaft (that's at least my guess as to the culprit) not being available anymore, but I can't seem to find it now. Is there anything else it could be causing that wiggle?

And yes, I realize that eventually that whole assembly is going to come out and apart for a rebuild most likely.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

I’m confused. All I see are threads about whether or not to do it and raby stuff like his DTM cooling.

Let me rephrase my original question; I’m looking at a 70 single cab that was converted to type IV and I want to know what to do to make it a proper conversion and not a hack. For example, I can tell the cooling tin needs to be modified and set up to completely seal the engine bay. But...I don’t see where it gets it’s cooling from. So I’m looking for threads of people that have done the conversion and things they ran in to or problems they solved.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

I’m confused. All I see are threads about whether or not to do it and raby stuff like his DTM cooling.

Let me rephrase my original question; I’m looking at a 70 single cab that was converted to type IV and I want to know what to do to make it a proper conversion and not a hack. For example, I can tell the cooling tin needs to be modified and set up to completely seal the engine bay. But...I don’t see where it gets it’s cooling from. So I’m looking for threads of people that have done the conversion and things they ran in to or problems they solved.

Well I hoped at least one credible conversion thread would be included in that.
The type 4 can be used in a type 1 engine compartment, but it has to use the DTM or Joe Cali cooling conversion. A few have gotten away with using the crank driven fan and type 4 shroud, but the sheet metal work and close proximity to the deck lid is really janky IMO. You decide how serious you want to get.

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum hose - how much Reply with quote

honeybus wrote:

Thanks

Barry sends

This may help one of your personalities out a little: https://ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
So I was futzing around with the steering wheel on my 71 today and realized that there's lateral play in the steering shaft (aka, grab the wheel and it'll shift about an eighth of an inch in either direction) and play in colum (which I know is that collar piece down at the bottom).

I swear I saw a thread about that bearing for the steering shaft (that's at least my guess as to the culprit) not being available anymore, but I can't seem to find it now. Is there anything else it could be causing that wiggle?

And yes, I realize that eventually that whole assembly is going to come out and apart for a rebuild most likely.

Step 1 is removing the steering wheel for a look, most of us lack X ray vision, but the bearing is often the cause.
Here's where to start: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=310527&highlight=steering+removal

Слава Україні!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Turn signals stopped working Reply with quote

I want to start by saying I have been raking over endless threads about turn signal issues to get some more insight.

Brief summary of recent work to start this off (1978 bus with 2.0L Type 4 stock):
-I cleaned up the wiring in my steering column - repairing a cut wire in the turn signal side of the switch.

-I also replaced my hazard switch with a bus one - I originally had a beetle one. I did open it up, clean the contacts, and zip tie it back together.

-All new fuses installed.

Before the bus sat while I built the engine, all the exterior lights worked like they should.

While the bus sat during my engine rebuild, I had removed all the relays from the underside of my fuse box- maybe stupid but I was removing PO add-ons under the dash and refreshing my windshield washer bottle. Now that it's running, the relays have been reinstalled but I'm afraid they may be in the wrong spots.

When I engage the turn signal switch in either direction, the idiot light in the cluster illuminates and doesn't blink. None of my exterior lights blink at all, they all remain off.

Now for my stupid questions.
Can someone confirm the location of the relays under the fuse box?
Did I miss a ground somewhere?
Can a fuse "look" good but actually be a turd?
RockAuto.com lists a 'Flasher Relay' and a 'Turn Signal Relay'
Flasher: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8341576&cc=1285950&jsn=952
Turn Sig: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2414816&cc=1285950&jsn=933
What's the difference? I did buy that flasher one and replace it- no change.

I appreciate any insight, thank you!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

Well I hoped at least one credible conversion thread would be included in that.
The type 4 can be used in a type 1 engine compartment, but it has to use the DTM or Joe Cali cooling conversion. A few have gotten away with using the crank driven fan and type 4 shroud, but the sheet metal work and close proximity to the deck lid is really janky IMO. You decide how serious you want to get.

Thanks. I didn’t realize there were type 4 DTM kits available. Would you happen to know if there are kits available that allow the use of a stock FI setup?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I’m not aware of any upright cooling kits that could preserve the factory Type 4 fuel injection; the plenum and runners are exactly where an upright fan shroud wold need to be. (DTM is a trademarked name for only one of the conversions.) However, FI bugs had an L-Jet system in the late seventies that could be adopted if your fabrication skills are strong.

Spike0180 had a Type 4 in his bus when he bought it. Maybe he could post pictures of how much had to be cut or modified? Like any engine swap, there are turds, and there’s are works of art. Got pics?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

How hard would it be to graft in a '72 and later engine compartment surround into an earlier Type 1 powered bus?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I’m not aware of any upright cooling kits that could preserve the factory Type 4 fuel injection; the plenum and runners are exactly where an upright fan shroud wold need to be. (DTM is a trademarked name for only one of the conversions.) However, FI bugs had an L-Jet system in the late seventies that could be adopted if your fabrication skills are strong.

Spike0180 had a Type 4 in his bus when he bought it. Maybe he could post pictures of how much had to be cut or modified? Like any engine swap, there are turds, and there’s are works of art. Got pics?

Robbie

I’ve only got one pic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signals stopped working Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
I want to start by saying I have been raking over endless threads about turn signal issues to get some more insight.

Brief summary of recent work to start this off (1978 bus with 2.0L Type 4 stock):
-I cleaned up the wiring in my steering column - repairing a cut wire in the turn signal side of the switch.

-I also replaced my hazard switch with a bus one - I originally had a beetle one. I did open it up, clean the contacts, and zip tie it back together.

-All new fuses installed.

Before the bus sat while I built the engine, all the exterior lights worked like they should.

While the bus sat during my engine rebuild, I had removed all the relays from the underside of my fuse box- maybe stupid but I was removing PO add-ons under the dash and refreshing my windshield washer bottle. Now that it's running, the relays have been reinstalled but I'm afraid they may be in the wrong spots.

When I engage the turn signal switch in either direction, the idiot light in the cluster illuminates and doesn't blink. None of my exterior lights blink at all, they all remain off.

Now for my stupid questions.
Can someone confirm the location of the relays under the fuse box?
Did I miss a ground somewhere?
Can a fuse "look" good but actually be a turd?
RockAuto.com lists a 'Flasher Relay' and a 'Turn Signal Relay'
Flasher: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8341576&cc=1285950&jsn=952
Turn Sig: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2414816&cc=1285950&jsn=933
What's the difference? I did buy that flasher one and replace it- no change.

I appreciate any insight, thank you!

Dash light on but dark outside means no power to the flasher, could be a fuse issue, could be a hazard switch issue. Do the hazard lights work?
Either of those relays should work, I can't see the wattage listed but there's only one relay/flasher for both signals and hazards on the VW system. The flasher plugs into the leftmost position usually, look at the wire colors leading to where it plugs in to confirm.

Слава Україні!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thank you busdaddy, I really appreciate you.

The Hazards don't work either. I have headlights, tail lights, no turn signals or flashers. I will start from your advice and go from there.
Thanks again!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is a type 1 1600 single/dual the same engine regardless of what vehicle it was used in? For example is the engine in a 70 single cab the same as what was used in a 70 Ghia/beetle? I’m talking about what came from the factory.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 420, 421, 422 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 421 of 515

Jump to: