Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 465, 466, 467 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
billiebear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I was given a "B" case engine that had broken a valve. After removing the broken piston and cylinder, the crank rolled easily, but being an optimist (not), I continued to separate the cases only to find the fuel pump shaft had bent and was no longer touching the Distributor Drive Pinion, also a flat lobe on the offending valve. So I was right.

I am looking at the bearings and the split main has an elephant and the kb stamp, part number is 850717100.25, I am pretty sure it is a Kolbenschmidt.

Can any body translate this for me? VW shops are few and far between in my area.

Thanks
mewidmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

OK - my first (of to be many) stupid question post....

Can someone confirm this is a 009 Distributor? I'm 95% certain, but have realized to never put anything past the prior owner...

The only PN # / Label I could find was EMPI 18/44 - and for some reason, I'm not finding many results when I google/search

Bus is a 1971 Weekender, with Dual Carb ICT (EMPI) setup

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mewidmer wrote:
Can someone confirm this is a 009 Distributor? I'm 95% certain, but have realized to never put anything past the prior owner...

That's a 009-style distributor. It may work great, or it may be a paperweight. The EMPI HPMX carbs are quite good, but I have not found their distributors to be as precise.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mewidmer wrote:
OK - my first (of to be many) stupid question post....

The only PN # / Label I could find was EMPI 18/44 - and for some reason, I'm not finding many results when I google/search

Bus is a 1971 Weekender, with Dual Carb ICT (EMPI) setup

Thanks!

Don't have a clue as to how much advance your distributor has. Buses in general require less advance than the same engine installed in a beetle, while many 009 clones have more advance than a real Bosch 009 does.
mewidmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
mewidmer wrote:

That's a 009-style distributor. It may work great, or it may be a paperweight. The EMPI HPMX carbs are quite good, but I have not found their distributors to be as precise.

Robbie

Awesome! I'm leaning toward paper weight vs a super special EMPI 18 of 44 edition
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mewidmer wrote:

Awesome! I'm leaning toward paper weight vs a super special EMPI 18 of 44 edition

If you set the max advance to 28-30° btdc, idles between 8° and 15°btdc, and gets going smoothly, I'd run it. Otherwise, start reading up on how to work those carbs with an SVDA, or get a restored 010/019.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allanmcclard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So I have a stupid question, how do I know what type of distributor I have because I'm very new to vw and I inherited a 1977 bay window and honestly don't know crap about them. Needless to say I bought an electronic ignition conversion kit and its the wrong one, I'm not sure if jbugs will take it back with it being electronic. Now I do know my distributor has the vacuum pump off the side of it with the little arm running into the distributor. The kit I bought was apparently for the 009, please help if you can thanks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

allanmcclard wrote:
how do I know what type of distributor I have

Post up all the numbers on the side, sample below:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

allanmcclard wrote:
So I have a stupid question, how do I know what type of distributor I have because I'm very new to vw and I inherited a 1977 bay window and honestly don't know crap about them. Needless to say I bought an electronic ignition conversion kit and its the wrong one, I'm not sure if jbugs will take it back with it being electronic. Now I do know my distributor has the vacuum pump off the side of it with the little arm running into the distributor. The kit I bought was apparently for the 009, please help if you can thanks.

Hi there! Post a picture of what you have:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

It’s true the points mounting (and replacement electronic bits) are different between the two distributors. Since JBugs doesn’t accept returns on electronics, you might be best finding a local VW club to sell your 009 Pertronix. Trading would be another option as well.

If your ‘77 bus still has the original fuel injection, do not get rid of the vacuum distributor; they pair best together. The best points (and maybe condensers) on the market are Echlin brand, available at Napa auto for $10.

There are two types of classic VW owners:
- Those who learn to adjust points once a year because it’s easy, cheap, and fun.
- Those who learn to instal points on the side of the road when their Pertronix dies.

See you on the road!
Robbie
mewidmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
mewidmer wrote:

If you set the max advance to 28-30° btdc, idles between 8° and 15°btdc, and gets going smoothly, I'd run it. Otherwise, start reading up on how to work those carbs with an SVDA, or get a restored 010/019.

Robbie

Thanks - I'll give it a shot!
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

There are two types of classic VW owners:
- Those who learn to adjust points once a year because it’s easy, cheap, and fun.
- Those who learn to install points on the side of the road when their Pertronix dies.

. . . or those that do neither because they installed Allison/Crane ignition 35 years ago!

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So here's a bit of a mystery I'm chasing down currently. And I probably won't do the best job of explaining it.

71 Bus. I don't do a ton of night driving in it (because, you know, pandemic). But a couple times I've been out and needed the headlights, they have occasionally shut themselves off. But they come back on.

I've checked the high/low beam relay both at the turn signal switch and the relay. It's got a good click to it and I haven't observed unusual behavior there. I've used the high/low switch to get the lights back while out driving.

My instinct goes to it being a ground issue or a switch issue. Just parked in the driveway last night, I couldn't get it to happen just trying to jostle the switch (though I suspect the dimmer in the switch could use a cleaning, observing the dash lights...that's a separate issue).

My plan for after work is to pull the headlights and check the ground for each of them (they both have gone out when this happens, so wondering about the odds of both grounds having issues). But I'm curious what others might suggest I check over and test.

Thanks! I'm also planning to take the bus to pick up dinner tonight, so hopefully I can get it to happen again.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

How old is your ignition switch?, the X circuit may be on the way out. If they do go out again try wiggling the key.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
How old is your ignition switch?, the X circuit may be on the way out. If they do go out again try wiggling the key.

See, I would not have considered the ignition switch. As far as I know, it's still the original switch. At the very least, the key matches every door on the bus down the code stamped on the handles.

I should go read up on the X circuit.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

See, I would not have considered the ignition switch. As far as I know, it's still the original switch. At the very least, the key matches every door on the bus down the code stamped on the handles.

X circuit! Okay, I see it on the wiring diagram. Runs thru the ignition switch to the headlight switch.

I presume the repair (if it's the culprit) is a new ignition switch?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

X circuit! Okay, I see it on the wiring diagram. Runs thru the ignition switch to the headlight switch.

Yes.

Слава Україні!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Yes.

Duly noted. Thank you!

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The ignition switch is separate from the ignition lock cylinder. Either can cause problems with the X-circuit. If the key doesn't return fully to the "RUN" position after starting the headlights may not work even if the ignition switch itself is just fine. If you went to a locksmith, he might well just squirt the lock cylinder with WD40 and send you on your way.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The ignition switch is separate from the ignition lock cylinder. Either can cause problems with the X-circuit. If the key doesn't return fully to the "RUN" position after starting the headlights may not work even if the ignition switch itself is just fine. If you went to a locksmith, he might well just squirt the lock cylinder with WD40 and send you on your way.

So, then could a worn key also cause the issue?

I'm pretty sure my key returns to RUN just fine, but that's something else to at least be aware of. Thanks!

dailyoliver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have a type 4 2.0l engine and am in the middle of fixing my afterburner (u-pipes) - I know this sounds a bit stupid BUT

ARE THEY INTERCHANGEABLE e.g. can the left fit on the right and vice versa?

It's just that they look the same to me - I know F-Pipes are not but what about the u-pipes??

Thank you - you clever engineering folks - Daily Oliver. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 465, 466, 467 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 466 of 515

Jump to: