Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks WT, I'll get a couple of seals in stock for next time...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jalabert wrote:
What's so different about post '71 rear wheel bearings that they apparently require no service at all...and is it a good idea, if I've never done it - to repack the bearings anyway? Gotta think that 50-something year old grease has got to be less than optimal.

I add a bit more grease and replace the outer hub seal whenever I do brake work. Its a good idea to keep an eye on the inner seal to watch for leaking grease, as if grease can get out water will get in.
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What's so different about post '71 rear wheel bearings that they apparently require no service at all...and is it a good idea, if I've never done it - to repack the bearings anyway? Gotta think that 50-something year old grease has got to be less than optimal.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
KentABQ wrote:
andrewtf wrote:
I have the exact same issue currently.

My present solution is several loops of heavy wire Confused

Thanks Andrew I was considering something like that.
Possibly using stranded high tension wire.

I'm assuming the metal brackets are too brittle for this purpose.
But I don't remember enough from my metallurgy class (taken in 1985!) to know a better material to use.

Wire is probably a good idea, on my early Vanagon with a 1.9L WBXer engine the exhaust was always cracking, so I designed a system with a lot of flex in it. It held the weight of the exhaust while not having rigid joints that would cause high stress in the system. I went from fixing something on the support for the exhaust every 10K miles to going 50K miles without having to do any repairs.

On at least some Porsches the bracket was chopped off right at the end of the adjustment slot and didn't attach to the exhaust at all.

Thanks Wildthings.
I haven't wired it up yet, but plan to do it before heading out to BBB.
A flexible support sounds like an excellent solution. I'll have to give that some thought.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
andrewtf wrote:

But I don't remember enough from my metallurgy class (taken in 1985!) to know a better material to use.

Wire is probably a good idea, on my early Vanagon with a 1.9L WBXer engine the exhaust was always cracking, so I designed a system with a lot of flex in it. It held the weight of the exhaust while not having rigid joints that would cause high stress in the system. I went from fixing something on the support for the exhaust every 10K miles to going 50K miles without having to do any repairs.

On at least some Porsches the bracket was chopped off right at the end of the adjustment slot and didn't attach to the exhaust at all.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
Does the Cold Start Valve assist in starting a FI bus when there are cold temps, or, is it required to operate in order to start a FI bus in cold temps?

The cold start system is temperature sensitive so allows the CSV to operate longer the lower the temperature. The higher the temperature the less it is needed. It should not function at all when the engine temperature is above ~100°F.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
Does the Cold Start Valve assist in starting a FI bus when there are cold temps, or, is it required to operate in order to start a FI bus in cold temps?

Assist, unless it's -20, at those temps you might run out of battery before it fires enough to stay running.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I've broken two exhaust support brackets in the past 8 years...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If I did a lot of offroading, I could understand this problem recurring. But I rarely go off pavement.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Has anyone come up with an alternate support method for the exhaust?

---WildIdea

favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
favguy wrote:
Bay courtesy light door switch question. Can those of you with these fitted to your front doors confirm if they have a rubber gasket between the switch and door frame and what it looks like. Not the late bay drivers side with multi terminal though, the simple 1 terminal one.

Thanks, Paul

They all use a gasket, early ones are grey color, later they were black, it's the low profile version opposed to the one that forms a cup around the switch. There's a couple near the bottom of this pic:

Thanks for confirming that, do you know of anyone who supplies them at all?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

favguy wrote:
Bay courtesy light door switch question. Can those of you with these fitted to your front doors confirm if they have a rubber gasket between the switch and door frame and what it looks like. Not the late bay drivers side with multi terminal though, the simple 1 terminal one.

Thanks, Paul

They all use a gasket, early ones are grey color, later they were black, it's the low profile version opposed to the one that forms a cup around the switch. There's a couple near the bottom of this pic:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

75 Westy FI noob wrote:
My pan was not leaking before I took it off. When I dripped the pan.. the gasket came to pieces whatever it was. Had thought it was paper, but maybe it was cork. I had to put a new one on there. It was rubber and seemed a bit too large.

I think I will try cork next..

The gasket for the differential section can be replaced with judiciously applied silicone, don't do this with the automatic section though.
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My pan was not leaking before I took it off. When I dripped the pan.. the gasket came to pieces whatever it was. Had thought it was paper, but maybe it was cork. I had to put a new one on there. It was rubber and seemed a bit too large.

I think I will try cork next..
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I just keep reusing my old one and the one that came with the oil screen gasket set looked to be a poor fit.

There are some gaskets that can be used over and over, this is one of them as you've suggested, Wildthings.

The guys in the TDI Club are anal about using a new crush washer on the oil drain plug. My 2000 Jetta still has the same Plug and Washer ....... no leaks. In fact, I think all of my vehicles and equipment have the same drain plug and washer as they did when I got them.

OP, reuse that old gasket, if possible.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It was many years ago, but I thought it was cork when I replaced mine.

I spent some time ensuring that the sheet metal pan's flange was flat and true. Some work with a hammer was needed.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I just keep reusing my old one as the one that came with the oil screen gasket set looked to be a poor fit.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Advised by my local VW shop to change the screen in the auto-transmission before driving after a very long sit .... so I did.

I installed a rubber style gasket, but the dang thing now leaks like a seive.
She's parked on a slight incline so the fluid sits above the seam and just drips.

Tried not to over torque initially, then added more torque when it leaked.. now it just continues. biggo spot now on the drive.

Is there a better gasket? Cork maybe?
Or is the rubber one the right one, butI just failed to install it properly.. (wrong procedure or torque, etc.)

I think i got it off Ebay from across the pond. can't recall for sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 515

Jump to: