Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 501, 502, 503 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Something funny going on there, all bays use that hard white plastic plug, it grew a few terminals in 72 when the heater levers sprouted a booster fan switch, but 68-71 used the one you show earlier. The flat yellow(ish) vinyl spade blocks were used on signal and ignition switch connections.

Time to follow some wires and see where the mystery leads you.....

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
this picture shows 73 8 pin connector

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's the same as on my '71, and presumably yours too.
Notice the legend on the '71 bus wiring diagram says
"T6 - Cable connector, eight connections"

sebgi1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

The heater connector plug goes directly behind the timer knob. And, yes for the 8 pins plug you should look for the missing half…somewhere in the nest

Dogs are the most precious and valuable possession of mankind. VWs are second!

'73 Neptune blue safare camper
'71 Neptune blue tintop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Something funny going on there, all bays use that hard white plastic plug, it grew a few terminals in 72 when the heater levers sprouted a booster fan switch, but 68-71 used the one you show earlier. The flat yellow(ish) vinyl spade blocks were used on signal and ignition switch connections.

Time to follow some wires and see where the mystery leads you.....

You're right, the connector was in a bag, I looked back at photos of when I pulled the harness out that goes to the back, and there it was. Embarassed

the good news is the harness can take 7 more wires and get re-shrink wrapped and still fit in the stock body tube, just barely but I'm happy with the extra capacity for gauges and switches.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Hubster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Our 76 Westy has been purring along for the most part lately, but twice it has died totally as we were just driving along. I believe I have chased the problem back to the ignition switch on the steering wheel since if I nudge the key a bit the bus will start back up. The second time it died, I did this as we coasted along and it started right back up. A VW mechanic mentioned to me that there is a ring inside the switch that wears out and I just need to replace that. I have checked schematics to the best of my abilities and didn’t see anything like that.

On a similar note, I often see the reference to bypassing the switch by clipping a wire to the coil and somewhere else. I have tried to find a demonstration of this in case I ever have to do this in an emergency, but was unable to find. I thought this thread was perfect for asking for information about this process.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hubster43 wrote:
A VW mechanic mentioned to me that there is a ring inside the switch that wears out and I just need to replace that. I have checked schematics to the best of my abilities and didn’t see anything like that.

On a similar note, I often see the reference to bypassing the switch by clipping a wire to the coil and somewhere else.

There wouldn't be any such "schematics" of the internal mechanical contruction of the ignition switch (or anything else). Electrical
schematics only deal with the logical electrical connections of a device, not how they are materially executed.

Jumping the ignition just means connecting the #15 ("hot") terminal on the coil with a source of unswitched 12V power, such as at
the battery + terminal, or any wire connected to it. It's just a wire with a clip on each end.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hubster43 wrote:
Our 76 Westy has been purring along for the most part lately, but twice it has died totally as we were just driving along. I believe I have chased the problem back to the ignition switch on the steering wheel since if I nudge the key a bit the bus will start back up. The second time it died, I did this as we coasted along and it started right back up. A VW mechanic mentioned to me that there is a ring inside the switch that wears out and I just need to replace that. I have checked schematics to the best of my abilities and didn’t see anything like that.

On a similar note, I often see the reference to bypassing the switch by clipping a wire to the coil and somewhere else. I have tried to find a demonstration of this in case I ever have to do this in an emergency, but was unable to find. I thought this thread was perfect for asking for information about this process.

Find an authentic VW switch and install it. They are available sporadically, usually a very good price.
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:

Pinch bolt stripped. Do you think this is my problem? The spring washer is good.

What is the thread pitch for this bolt? Thx!
'65 Honda Dream
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I just replaced some bad front brake shoes as well as the springs. All the reference pics in Bentley and on this site show the springs nice and straight. What’s the deal with mine? And should I be concerned? Or am I overthinking it?

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

flip the top spring over so the center part is _______ and clears the wheel cyl

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Aftermarket parts, whutuya expect? I would be concerned if I couldn't install them so they're not rubbing on anything. What was wrong with the old ones?

D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Aftermarket parts, whutuya expect? I would be concerned if I couldn't install them so they're not rubbing on anything. What was wrong with the old ones?

The old ones looked like this

And since we’re talking about aftermarket parts, one of the shoes looked like this

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
flip the top spring over so the center part is _______ and clears the wheel cyl

Hmmm,,, I was going to say flip the bottom one, sometimes they rub on the hub when faced to the spindle. Trial fit the hub and spin it a bit, then look for rub marks, I'd rather have it touch the cylinder than make noise constantly.

Ain't aftermarket shit great!?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

So great. That brake shoe only has around 1k miles on it.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Hmmm,,, I was going to say flip the bottom one, sometimes they rub on the hub when faced to the spindle. Trial fit the hub and spin it a bit, then look for rub marks, I'd rather have it touch the cylinder than make noise constantly.

true, now that you mention it I remember having to do that dance, and flipping a spring around.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Robert Givler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Can anyone help me identify what is missing here? Specifically referring to the area where the fan shroud meets the heater box. Replacing the muffler and noticed this was missing. Not surprising as the tins have a lot of issues. Would like to replace what is missing before I put it back together. It is a 1976 Bus 2.0L Type 4 with I believe 73 or 74 heater boxes if that helps. Had a 1.7L in it when I got it that detonated shortly after.

1976 Westfalia / Pickle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The covers are available, maybe through the Samba classifieds? they are side specific, a search should turn them up. The flaps and pins are available as well.
Robert Givler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings. Do you know what they are called. I have found several lists of the engine tin parts but they do not show that "cover." Are the flaps just called called Fan Shroud Flaps?
1976 Westfalia / Pickle
Robert Givler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is this the correct one for the right? I found one for sale but it is listed for a 70-74 Porsche 914 1.7 to 2.0L.

1976 Westfalia / Pickle
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Robert Givler wrote:
Is this the correct one for the right? I found one for sale but it is listed for a 70-74 Porsche 914 1.7 to 2.0L.

Pretty sure the Porsche parts are the same as the VW parts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 501, 502, 503 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 502 of 515

Jump to: