Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 502, 503, 504 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Givler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks, I can buy it and check it off my list!
They seem to go by many names. Heater box duct covers, Heater Shroud Cover Plates, Heat Duct Cover Cap etc… now I just need to find the flaps.
1976 Westfalia / Pickle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robert Givler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Found the flaps but based on Wildthings explanation of their function I don’t think I will fit them.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7596915#7596915
1976 Westfalia / Pickle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My timing starts out at around 7-8° at idle, advances to 28-30°, but then only drops back down to 12-ish. This would be something sticking in the distributor, right? It's a mechanical advance only.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DocNexil wrote:
My timing starts out at around 7-8° at idle, advances to 28-30°, but then only drops back down to 12-ish. This would be something sticking in the distributor, right? It's a mechanical advance only.

Sure sounds that way, ever oiled the felt dot down in the shaft the rotor goes on?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DocNexil wrote:

If your idle speed is too high, then the timing will not drop back. There is also some friction in the system, so the advance and return will tend to happen at slightly different engine speeds.
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Sure sounds that way, ever oiled the felt dot down in the shaft the rotor goes on?
Yes, though I admit it's been a while. I'll do that right away.

Wildthings wrote:
If your idle speed is too high, then the timing will not drop back. There is also some friction in the system, so the advance and return will tend to happen at slightly different engine speeds.
Going straight from engine off to idle it will sit at 7-8, cold or hot. Only after blipping the throttle does it not return, and I've made sure the throttle itself returns fully.

Thank you both for your replies, I appreciate it very much
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DocNexil wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Yes, though I admit it's been a while. I'll do that right away.

You can remove the points to keep from getting oil on them and then use a spray lubricant with a straw to wash the weights hidden under the plates in oil. The excess will drain out and you can then wipe down the plates and reinstall the points.
PetetheVWguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Question for y’all. 78 Bay, 2.0 FI. I just rebuilt it, and the darn thing won’t stay running. It will crank over and fire off just fine, but it will only run for a second or two. Pretty sure fuel is the issue. Ignition is all good, timing is fine, etc. all my wire connections are good. Maybe the FI computer? Where do I start? Thanks—Pete.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

PetetheVWguy wrote:
.......... all my wire connections are good. ........

Does that include the black wire with the fuse holder in it that's laying along the left side of the engine?, is it connected to terminal #15 on the coil?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
PetetheVWguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

That one is connected to the positive side of the coil.
PetetheVWguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Also the ignition coil is quite hot to the touch, and I haven’t been cranking on it for a few hours now.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Had the key on for a while?, that'll warm up a coil.

If that black wire is connected than you'll have to move on to determining if the fuel pump is continuing to run once the key is released from the start position, it's likely a giant vacuum leak, but could be AFM related as well.

Here's some previous discussion from others with similar symptoms, all the diagnosis and cures are likely covered somewhere: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Слава Україні!
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

could it be the ts2?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
could it be the ts2?

If in some really super rare case it's somehow become fully grounded (that's the opposite of the common failure), even then it'd be super lean and likely crap out when you gave er the gas, but it most likely would still idle in a shitty way.

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Could be a vacuum hose that didn't get connected or got knocked loose.
PetetheVWguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks, all. I turned the ignition on and moved the afm flap inside the air box, no relay noise, and the fuel pump wasn't pumping. Used a voltage tester on the fuel pump, and it’s getting juice when in the “start” position, but not when the ignition’s on.
PetetheVWguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I may have made a dumb mistake. Are all the ringed wires supposed to be on the same terminal on the starter?
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

PetetheVWguy wrote:
I may have made a dumb mistake. Are all the ringed wires supposed to be on the same terminal on the starter?

Yes.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does the FI half of the double relay click when you turn the key? Is the white wire to the coil hooked up to the #1(-) post on the coil.
PetetheVWguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Aha, it works now. I replaced the temperature sensor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 502, 503, 504 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 503 of 515

Jump to: