Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 503, 504, 505 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetetheVWguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Now it “just” leaks oil from a few places. (Pushrod tube seals, oil pump and valve cover gaskets.) Running rough, too. Probably have an exhaust leak or three.
Oh well, all simple stuff now. Thanks for the advice and input, all. Very Happy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Excellent news!

Get on those exhaust leaks soon, no need to damage a head if you can prevent it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Hubster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I am ordering the complete brake line kit from bus depot since my front brake locked up last night on the way home and wouldn’t release. I was wondering the number of brake line fastener clips needed. I have not done any work on the brake lines in a long, long time. So I assume that almost all of the fasteners will be dry and brittle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hubster43 wrote:
I am ordering the complete brake line kit from bus depot since my front brake locked up last night on the way home and wouldn’t release. I was wondering the number of brake line fastener clips needed. I have not done any work on the brake lines in a long, long time. So I assume that almost all of the fasteners will be dry and brittle.

I assume you mean these horseshoe clips for the rubber lines? I've never had to replace a rusted clip (or metal line) on the west coast, but the clips often missing… Five on late bays IIRC.

https://www.amazon.com/Empi-98-6685-B-Stainless-Steel-Bug-Bus-Ghia-Squareback/dp/B076DLRNWL

There are also two plastic clips that hold the long metal line from the proportioning valve to the rear T.

--

When a wheel locks up, I like to crack the bleeder to diagnose where the problem is. If fluid squirts/dribbles out and the wheel frees up, it's likely the rubber hose at fault. If the caliper doesn't release with the bleeder, it's likely the caliper itself seizing and needing a rebuild. All of this assumed the pedal pushrod has it's requisite 1mm of free play, but that doesn't change overnight so I don't think it's your problem.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

There are 7 of the 113 611 715 A clips. I'd use genuine over anything else. You should also replace the 5x 211 611 751 brake hose grommet.
Beef_Wallington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Here’s a probably stupid one.

I have 3/4 signals working, running/parking and flashing with both turn and 4-way.

My front right lights up, but doesn’t flash. Both the small bulb and the main dual filament bulb light solid in the housing but neither flash. At the hazard switch which is still closed, I get expected voltage pulsing on that end when using the hazards/4-way, but none when using the turn signal. The rear on that side works fine.

Could this be the relay, or is it more likely to be an issue with my turn signal switch itself? I’ve got the relay pulled but I just have a hard time grasping how that could possibly be it when it doesn’t have a dedicated out for individual lights.

My wiring doesn’t appear to have been customized.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Beef_Wallington wrote:

I have 3/4 signals working, running/parking and flashing with both turn and 4-way.

My front right lights up, but doesn’t flash. Both the small bulb and the main dual filament bulb light solid in the housing but neither flash. At the hazard switch which is still closed, I get expected voltage pulsing on that end when using the hazards/4-way, but none when using the turn signal. The rear on that side works fine.

Could this be the relay, or is it more likely to be an issue with my turn signal switch itself? I’ve got the relay pulled but I just have a hard time grasping how that could possibly be it when it doesn’t have a dedicated out for individual lights.

If the little side light's bulb is lighting it indicates that fixture isn't grounded properly.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

have you tried a different bulb?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beef_Wallington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Beef_Wallington wrote:

If the little side light's bulb is lighting it indicates that fixture isn't grounded properly.

So the small bulb shouldn’t be turning on when the headlights are on? Neither bulb comes on during hazard or turn signal. Both do when headlights are on.

Dodger - yep all new bulbs. Edit: and have tried this bulb in other sockets and vice versa
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Beef_Wallington wrote:

So the small bulb shouldn’t be turning on when the headlights are on? Neither bulb comes on during hazard or turn signal. Both do when headlights are on.

You are describing the symptoms of a bad ground on the the housing and/or a bad connection between the base of the bulb and the socket.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Beef_Wallington wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Beef_Wallington wrote:

Dodger - yep all new bulbs. Edit: and have tried this bulb in other sockets and vice versa

The small bulb should light for headlights/park lights, but not when signaling in the day time.

If I'm reading your description wrong and it's working normally, yet the brighter signal filament in the big bulb isn't working with either the signals or hazards then it's time to go for a dig between the nose skin and kick panels and see if a wire is unplugged.

Слава Україні!
Beef_Wallington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Beef_Wallington wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Beef_Wallington wrote:

The small bulb should light for headlights/park lights, but not when signaling in the day time.

If I'm reading your description wrong and it's working normally, yet the brighter signal filament in the big bulb isn't working with either the signals or hazards then it's time to go for a dig between the nose skin and kick panels and see if a wire is unplugged.

Correct I think - both bulbs light up with headlights. No bulbs flash with either turn signal or hazard. If I try to signal or hazard with headlights on they just stay solid.

Looks like I’m going wire hunting. I know it’s connected with the old insulated plug between the housing and other wiring, so I’ll try connecting the new housing there and then work my way back. Hopefully it’s just a bad connection in the bucket/housing like Wildthings suggests.

I’m running on the assumption that they work like the rears and the big bulb should light with headlights as it is also dual filament, is that right or is only the small bulb supposed to be with headlights?

Sorry for kind of asking that one again but I just want to make sure I’m looking for the right thing.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Beef_Wallington wrote:
I’m running on the assumption that they work like the rears and the big bulb should light with headlights as it is also dual filament, is that right or is only the small bulb supposed to be with headlights? .

On North American delivered models... Yes, the signals should be dual filament #1034 bulbs (1157 also work), look for the two contacts on the bottom.

Слава Україні!
Beef_Wallington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Beef_Wallington wrote:
I’m running on the assumption that they work like the rears and the big bulb should light with headlights as it is also dual filament, is that right or is only the small bulb supposed to be with headlights? .

On North American delivered models... Yes, the signals should be dual filament #1034 bulbs (1157 also work), look for the two contacts on the bottom.

Perfect thanks! They’re definitely the NA dual filament just had to make sure I had the proper function all straight.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Am I missing something here? It looks like it’s supposed to overlap the larger panel, but it’s not even close
71 , it came with the panel off when I bought it, I was going to use the heater tube for the wiring to pass through

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Maybe someone's attempt to get more cool air to the engine or to put the cab under a negative pressure in an attempt to improve heater output.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I suspect it's a mash up of model year parts, maybe the duct section is 72+?

They should overlap and seal up.

Edit, does the duct have a flapper valve (damper) in it?, or just a thermostat?, the flap was deleted in 72.

Слава Україні!
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

there was a thermostat and the cable controlled flap in it

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Inside the rear hatch under the rear passenger side window is a vinyl panel that snaps to the wall.
Does anyone know why it is vinyl and snaps, instead of wood like all the other panels?
Or is this just a Riviera thing?
(I tried posting a pic but my new notebook didn't upload it for some reason.)

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have questions about the residual pressure valves in the master cylinder. I did a front disc brake install today on my ‘70 and was expecting to have to remove the pressure valve for the front circuit. It turns out my MC doesn’t have any pressure valves at all, neither front nor rear. Instead, the hard line just threads directly into the body of the MC.

The MC has been in the bus the whole time I’ve owned it and throughout the 25k miles we’ve driven it so I have no idea what the story behind it is. It does have the correct part # stamped on the side.

Questions: should a master cylinder for a 1970 come with the 2 residual pressure valves pre-installed or are they a NLA thing and they have to be transplanted whenever you replace the MC? Should I try to get my hands on a pressure valve for my rear circuit? Or just keep driving in peace?

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 503, 504, 505 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 504 of 515

Jump to: