Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 322, 323, 324 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

10kc10 wrote:
There is also a second nub on the right side below this one that does not have a hose attached to it. I believe it should, where does it go?

The small line connects to the rubber Tee on the roof of the engine compartment that joins the steel vent lines together. Your assumption about the large hose is correct.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
10kc10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
10kc10 wrote:
There is also a second nub on the right side below this one that does not have a hose attached to it. I believe it should, where does it go?

The small line connects to the rubber Tee on the roof of the engine compartment that joins the steel vent lines together. Your assumption about the large hose is correct.

Thank you!!
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

How do I know that I need new push rod tubes? Engine is out, heads coming off, news seals on the list. But, what am I looking for with the tubes?
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jim Bear wrote:
How do I know that I need new push rod tubes? Engine is out, heads coming off, news seals on the list. But, what am I looking for with the tubes?

You are looking at a Type 4 engine correct? Replacing the tubes is subjective pretty much based on appearance. Rust and other corrosion coupled with physical damage. Some people are going to do it on every tear down, others almost never.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jim Bear wrote:

For what it's worth, I haven't built a T4, but I can't seem to find any new T4 pushrod tubes that are not chrome and shiny. The late Bob Hoover did a few tests on parts that directly contact oil, and found that flat black metals shed the most heat, and chrome metals retain the most heat. This goes in line with what VW did on the "Antarctic" packages; chrome valve covers and sump plates were installed to keep heat in the oil.

On my stock T1 build, I used all flat black parts that contact oil when possible, and I can't get the damn oil temperature above 200° with 10w30 or 20w50. Is this wild internet speculation on my part? Probably. Does it help? Probably? Does it hurt? Nope.

But if I were to build a T4 tomorrow, I would prep and paint any pushrod tube flat black, new or used. (Of course, I would keep paint clear of the sealing areas.)

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm having problems getting a Justkampers rear side window initially seated in the bus frame. I've read all the threads giving tips on how to get the strings in place, etc. but it seems like others aren't having quite so many problems getting it initially seated.

Whenever I push a side in the other one pops out. I've had two people trying plus tapping with a mallet and still no luck. I used silicone spray on the outside of the rubber where it touches the bus frame. Perhaps I made it too slick? Or maybe I just need to pound harder?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

stwesty wrote:
I'm having problems getting a Justkampers rear side window initially seated in the bus frame. I've read all the threads giving tips on how to get the strings in place, etc. but it seems like others aren't having quite so many problems getting it initially seated.

Whenever I push a side in the other one pops out. I've had two people trying plus tapping with a mallet and still no luck. I used silicone spray on the outside of the rubber where it touches the bus frame. Perhaps I made it too slick? Or maybe I just need to pound harder?

Since this is the Stupid Question thread, I don't feel,bad giving a Stupid Answer...

The first window I ever replaced in mine was the rear window, and I had the same problem getting it back in. Two of us spent an hour trying everything getting that £#%>¥ thing in. Finally, with it only halfway in, I just left it.

Then Robbie came to help me install the engine. And he asked me why I was installing the window seal backwards. !!! I had the blasted thing in completely wrong!!! Five minutes later, it was seated perfectly. Rolling Eyes
So, check to see if the seal is in correctly.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

^ Also you can actually pound on it harder than you think. Use the bottom of your hand in a fist. You need to hold it on there pretty hard at the same time
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings and Robbie, much thanks.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
jj4356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Any advise on finishing engine tin?
4 options is what I'm thinking:
* leave alone, they aren't too bad, no holes
* high heat rattle can after mild sandblast
* Powdercoat, worried about heat dissipation and longevity?
* Ceramic, again worried about heat dissipation, will it hold it in or help to cool it. All I could find online was that headers stay cooler on the exterior which is telling me they will hold it in?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

jj4356 wrote:
Any advise on finishing engine tin?
4 options is what I'm thinking:
* leave alone, they aren't too bad, no holes
* high heat rattle can after mild sandblast
* Powdercoat, worried about heat dissipation and longevity?
* Ceramic, again worried about heat dissipation, will it hold it in or help to cool it. All I could find online was that headers stay cooler on the exterior which is telling me they will hold it in?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

#5 - some de-greaser and hot water, a light sanding, a rinse and some rattle can black. bonus points for re-painting on Otto's signature:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I wouldn't be worrying about the minor amount of heat passing through the tin, blocking the heat transfer is likely a good think anyway.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

10 years and about 100,000 miles with powdercoat tins and no problems.

Like stated above, it's less about the finish and more important that you have an actual complete/correct set (most don't) with all the screws and they're sitting flush.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm approaching 20 years with rattlecan Tremclad (good prep first of course), no burning peeling or flaws yet, there's no need for high heat or anything fancy.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mikala0614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Very stupid question, but I don't have my bus in my possession right now, so I'm seeing if someone can help me out. I need the measurement of the rear right window in a 1972 Westy. I looked online and found nothing, thanks !
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mikala0614 wrote:
Very stupid question, but I don't have my bus in my possession right now, so I'm seeing if someone can help me out. I need the measurement of the rear right window in a 1972 Westy. I looked online and found nothing, thanks !

Welcome to The Samba!
43 3/4" (bottom edge)x 15 1/2"

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I remember a thread a while back where someone was modding the EGR box at the end of the speedo cable to illuminate every 3000 miles as a sort of "service reminder". Does anyone remember who it was, or remember the thread? I've just got my bus back on the road and I now have solid lifters on my new engine. So I think it might be nifty to get the light to come on just as a simple reminder even if I do wander over on miles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
I remember a thread a while back where someone was modding the EGR box at the end of the speedo cable to illuminate every 3000 miles as a sort of "service reminder". Does anyone remember who it was, or remember the thread? I've just got my bus back on the road and I now have solid lifters on my new engine. So I think it might be nifty to get the light to come on just as a simple reminder even if I do wander over on miles.

Years ago a friend of mine decided to just service his vehicles at 5000 miles. Very easy to keep track of a vehicles maintenance this way.
mikala0614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
mikala0614 wrote:

Welcome to The Samba!
43 3/4" (bottom edge)x 15 1/2"

THANK YOU so much!! I'm a very new owner! Turning our bus into a mobile photo booth, it's going to be awesome! Glad I found you all!
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Years ago a friend of mine decided to just service his vehicles at 5000 miles. Very easy to keep track of a vehicles maintenance this way.

Certainly an option. But not sure I love the idea of running my new engine out to 5k before serviceing. Do you remember the thread? I know someone had done it. Lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 322, 323, 324 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 323 of 515

Jump to: