Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 326, 327, 328 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Does anyone know what size bolts I need to mount the rear bumper brackets up into the holes in the frame (there are captive nuts there)
I took my old bolts to the hardware store but I couldn't find a good fit using the thread gauges they had in the store.

I see by your signature that you may have a 1977 VW transporter.

I notice in a response that the diagram for a rear bumper appears to be a 'blade' bumper, perhaps for a year prior to 1973 (1972??)

Question: are the bolts the same size for years 1972 - 1979?

Thanks

Barry sends
'78 Westy ... purchased 11 Dec 06 ($9,000); sand blasted/primered 7 Jan 07 ($1,200); body shop 3 Apr 07 ($2,000); paint shop 7 Nov 07 ($6,000); home 22 Apr 08; started TLC 28 Aug 08; got very first sign of life 8 Jun 2010; Run about 1,000 miles in Florida in May 2011; 1,600 miles road trip Orlando-Key West-Aldie Virginia 10-26 Mar 2020 (COVID-19 started)

Thanks for all the fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Compression Testing Reply with quote

I read in Ratwell.com the following:

1.1 Compression Testing:

You've bought a compression tester but it doesn't contain any instructions. Here's what to do:

if you have hydraulic lifters, run the engine the night before for 30 minutes to make sure they are pumped up.
adjust valves if it's near adjustment time
break torque on the plugs with a cold engine so you aren't removing them when the threads in the head are softer from the heat. Just keep them snug.
run the engine for 5 minutes to warm it up
remove all four spark plugs
key off to disable coil and injectors
unplug double relay if you have FI (left plug is mandatory)

What is the rationale for this statement " unplug double relay if you have FI (left plug is mandatory) "

Thank you.

Barry sends
'78 Westy ... purchased 11 Dec 06 ($9,000); sand blasted/primered 7 Jan 07 ($1,200); body shop 3 Apr 07 ($2,000); paint shop 7 Nov 07 ($6,000); home 22 Apr 08; started TLC 28 Aug 08; got very first sign of life 8 Jun 2010; Run about 1,000 miles in Florida in May 2011; 1,600 miles road trip Orlando-Key West-Aldie Virginia 10-26 Mar 2020 (COVID-19 started)

Thanks for all the fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression Testing Reply with quote

honeybus wrote:

What is the rationale for this statement " unplug double relay if you have FI (left plug is mandatory) "

Thank you.

Barry sends

You want to disable the FI and the ignition. Removing both the green and white wires from the #1 terminal on the coil will accomplish this.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression Testing Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
honeybus wrote:

Thank you.

Barry sends

You want to disable the FI and the ignition. Removing both the green and white wires from the #1 terminal on the coil will accomplish this.

Ratwell says unplug the DR because that will also disable the CSV and the fuel pump. No need to be filling your engine with gas while testing.

And yes, rear bumper bracket to frame bolts are the same from 68-79.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression Testing Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
honeybus wrote:

Thank you.

Barry sends

Ratwell says unplug the DR because that will also disable the CSV and the fuel pump. No need to be filling your engine with gas while testing.

And yes, rear bumper bracket to frame bolts are the same from 68-79.

With a hot engine the CSV shouldn't be doing anything, and having the fuel pump running should matter little. Pull the wire to the double relay and the backup lights off the coil if the FP is a concern to you. You could instead pull only the 12+ wire from the coil but need to be sure it doesn't ground out to anything. I don't like pulling the plug from the double relay as you only get so many shots at doing so before the pins push out of the connector.
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It is #11.
Everything on the PB Warning socket is unplugged.
I'll get out and test the other stuff Sunday.
Thanks once again!

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My stupid question du jour... Cool

How does a fuel injected engine compensate for high altitudes?

I had problems starting and running my '76 Riviera with FI when we were above 5k feet or so. When I got home, she drove normally. So my assumption is the altitude and thin air may have caused the problem.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
My stupid question du jour... Cool

How does a fuel injected engine compensate for high altitudes?

I had problems starting and running my '76 Riviera with FI when we were above 5k feet or so. When I got home, she drove normally. So my assumption is the altitude and thin air may have caused the problem.

L-jet isn't that smart, some buses and bugs sold in high states had an altitude switch in the engine compartment and a special ECU, whether that saw an option or te dealers just ordered it like that has never been resolved.

You could re tweak the cogwheel in an AFM and swap it in as a preset unit when climbing in elevation, there's little other things that come to mind to lean the system safely over it's full temperature range.

Edit: A little reading on the option: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=411925&highlight=altitude+ecu
There's more somewhere but I can't locate it right now.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

turdle wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Welcome,
This switch sounds interesting, could be something that alters the resistance of temp sensor 2. Pictures would be very helpful here, of the switch, where the wires from it go and the throttle body as well

Thanks for the reply! The 1st pic shows the switch mounted just above the CU connector. The 2nd image shows how the leads join into the main wire harness that leads to the double relay mounted on the upper part of the left firewall. 3 wires branch off about mid engine and disappear under the air distribution box and I can wiggle them by grabbing a lead on the Temp Sensor II near Cylinder 3. It's all black magic!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer, busdaddy. And I think I understand better what was happening while driving at 5-7k feet...

She was running rich to begin with, while at low elevations. So when I was climbing, the mixture kept getting richer as the air thinned. The ultra rich mixture explains why she would suddenly jerk and die at the highest elevations, and also explains why she wouldn't start until after sitting for at least an hour to cool down.

A couple months ago when I took her in for the smog test, she passed pretty easily. But for some reason, (TS2? Dual relay?) she started running rich occasionally. My guess is I need to replace the TS2. Or I'm going to take TCash's previous advice and add the potentiometer. I haven't decided yet. It may be a combination of both, with a switch to override the TS2 if I want.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Thanks for the answer, busdaddy. And I think I understand better what was happening while driving at 5-7k feet...

If you are spending much time at those altitudes you can bump the timing up a bit to help compensate. The general rule is 1° of extra advance for every 1000' above 4000'.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
KentPS wrote:

If you are spending much time at those altitudes you can bump the timing up a bit to help compensate. The general rule is 1° of extra advance for every 1000' above 4000'.

Shocked
I wish I had known that. That solution didn't even occur to me (not that I would have EVER thought about it). It would have saved hiring a Uhaul truck and car hauler to get from Utah back to Calif.
Shocked

---WildIdea

Plaidbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi all: This bus below is advertised as a '69, and the owner says it says
'69 on the title. Is there any way he's right? Seems like...not. I'm not crazy am I?

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1969-volkswagen-transporter-deluxe-c-7146.htm
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Plaidbus wrote:
Hi all: This bus below is advertised as a '69, and the owner says it says
'69 on the title. Is there any way he's right? Seems like...not. I'm not crazy am I?

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1969-volkswagen-transporter-deluxe-c-7146.htm

Could be, its Brazilian, they made that body style there well into the 70's.

Some really rough looking repairs on the frame, be careful, could be lots of demons hiding beneath turd polish.

Слава Україні!
Plaidbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Huh. Did not know that! I'm not buying, just thought I'd do the seller a favor if he had it wrong. Busdaddy, you unknowingly helped me today with an old post in the bay forum re: "turn signal switch", also "cab door locks". Both are working PERFECTLY now thanks to your input! I owe you!
WestySteff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello, my first post on this forum Smile

Where can I get hold of a black old-school lace-up steering wheel cover for my 73' Westie. Something of a decent quality that fits neatly on the original steering wheel.

Thank you!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba!

Here's what is supposed to be the best...
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=3051

You may be able to buy one in Europe.

---WildIdea

WestySteff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Already ordered, thank you so much!
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does anyone have a photo of the warning label that is on the center of the dash from a 77 Westy?
I see WW has them, but am trying to see how "accurate" they are - as the Delta Six labels are pretty off.

Also, my original dash was pretty chewed up. I scored one on a trade for some wheels and tires but the holes that were there for switches were in a bit of a different order.
Without my having to dril more holes is it totally weird that I'm planning to put my rear dog, rear defroster, and gas heater switches to the right side of the dash? Other than the order of the holes the padded part is in great shape.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Without my having to dril more holes is it totally weird that I'm planning to put my rear dog, rear defroster, and gas heater switches to the right side of the dash?

Putting a dog's butt on the dash officially qualifies as weird, yes. Laughing

---WildIdea

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 326, 327, 328 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 327 of 515

Jump to: