Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 333, 334, 335 ... 349, 350, 351  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RixiesRide
Samba Member


Joined: August 31, 2005
Posts: 673
Location: Stockton, CA
RixiesRide is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I couldn't find anything in the tech sticky regarding steering wheels.

I want to make sure I order the correct one from the classifieds for a '73.
_________________
https://www.gofundme.com/49rrr6o

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lightice
Samba Member


Joined: December 14, 2012
Posts: 599

lightice is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

On Sekurit windows/glass at the edges there are usually 2 tiny holes at the bottom. What are they for?

If making new windows, can they be omitted?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member


Joined: July 20, 2011
Posts: 11755
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Tcash is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:
I couldn't find anything in the tech sticky regarding steering wheels.

I want to make sure I order the correct one from the classifieds for a '73.


Regarding the steering wheel . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7897826#7897826
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RixiesRide
Samba Member


Joined: August 31, 2005
Posts: 673
Location: Stockton, CA
RixiesRide is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thank you again, Tcash.
_________________
https://www.gofundme.com/49rrr6o

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a-marshal
Samba Member


Joined: March 21, 2009
Posts: 207
Location: Toronto
a-marshal is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

But might be a stupid question but it might just be weird..

New AMC heads have an opening beside each of the intake ports, what are they for?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


it is just over 1 1/2 inches deep, and is larger than 10mm in diameter (but seems to be smaller than 11mm) I can't tell if they are threaded.

my old heads has nothing there but my tins seem to be cut to allow access to these holes... I can't help but wonder if they would be a decent place for a temperature probe..
_________________
-Ob. vehicle info....
1973 Westy w/ '74 1.8 liter / dual kadrons / 009 distributor / pertronix
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member


Joined: April 06, 2001
Posts: 9902
Location: unavailable at this time
hazetguy is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

a-marshal wrote:
But might be a stupid question but it might just be weird..

New AMC heads have an opening beside each of the intake ports, what are they for?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


it is just over 1 1/2 inches deep, and is larger than 10mm in diameter (but seems to be smaller than 11mm) I can't tell if they are threaded.

my old heads has nothing there but my tins seem to be cut to allow access to these holes... I can't help but wonder if they would be a decent place for a temperature probe..


https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604249
_________________
Parts and mechanical restoration services available. I restore and rebuild fuel pumps, distributors, spindles, etc.
Check my ads or send a PM.

" just because YOUR hobby is another's profession, it doesn't mean that a shop works for free. " -Don

http://www.plagiarism.org/plagiarism-101/what-is-plagiarism/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a-marshal
Samba Member


Joined: March 21, 2009
Posts: 207
Location: Toronto
a-marshal is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:


https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604249


Thanks .. I guess I'll get those plugged.
_________________
-Ob. vehicle info....
1973 Westy w/ '74 1.8 liter / dual kadrons / 009 distributor / pertronix
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentPS Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: September 11, 2016
Posts: 907
Location: Palm Springs, CA #calExit
KentPS is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Plug them and use plenty of sealant or thread lock. I had one pop out, and it sounded like a broken valve. Scared the $#| outta me until I figured out what it was.
_________________
-Kent-

1976 Riviera, my chrome yellow VAN - "Chloe"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlarmen
Samba Member


Joined: July 14, 2017
Posts: 34
Location: Texas
jlarmen is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hammocks. I have read varying information as to what our recently acquired '69 Westy should have as far as sleeping arrangements, but cannot find any definitive information. It has the pop top, but I cannot see any other brackets or equipment. Besides the bench bed, was there a hammock for adults or something that went across the pop top opening?

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member


Joined: February 12, 2004
Posts: 38689
Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!
busdaddy is online now 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

jlarmen wrote:
Hammocks. I have read varying information as to what our recently acquired '69 Westy should have as far as sleeping arrangements, but cannot find any definitive information. It has the pop top, but I cannot see any other brackets or equipment. Besides the bench bed, was there a hammock for adults or something that went across the pop top opening?

Thanks.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/manuals70westy.php
_________________
Rust NEVER sleeps and stock never goes out of style.

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keeponbussin77
Samba Member


Joined: March 01, 2017
Posts: 16
Location: Idaho
Keeponbussin77 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I've got a stupid question for you guys. What is this? It was sitting in my engine bay when I bought my 74 camper. I'm getting ready to put the engine back into its home, but I feel like this doodad is important. Anyone want to enlighten me?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlarmen
Samba Member


Joined: July 14, 2017
Posts: 34
Location: Texas
jlarmen is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
jlarmen wrote:
Hammocks. I have read varying information as to what our recently acquired '69 Westy should have as far as sleeping arrangements, but cannot find any definitive information. It has the pop top, but I cannot see any other brackets or equipment. Besides the bench bed, was there a hammock for adults or something that went across the pop top opening?

Thanks.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/manuals70westy.php


Stupid question answered Wink Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentPS Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: September 11, 2016
Posts: 907
Location: Palm Springs, CA #calExit
KentPS is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Keeponbussin77 wrote:
I've got a stupid question for you guys. What is this? It was sitting in my engine bay when I bought my 74 camper. I'm getting ready to put the engine back into its home, but I feel like this doodad is important. Anyone want to enlighten me?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks like a cinder block with a fuel vapor vent line on top of it.
Keep it to make sure you have all the vapor lines installed and connected.
_________________
-Kent-

1976 Riviera, my chrome yellow VAN - "Chloe"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member


Joined: February 12, 2004
Posts: 38689
Location: Surrey B.C. Canada, Land of the giant flying moose!
busdaddy is online now 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Definitely a cinder block, the thing on top looks like a balance tube for a dual Solex bus, you'll miss that if you like power brakes and a smooth idle.
_________________
Rust NEVER sleeps and stock never goes out of style.

Wanted, OG paint 1971 Niagara blue decklid.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentPS Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: September 11, 2016
Posts: 907
Location: Palm Springs, CA #calExit
KentPS is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I was half right! Laughing
_________________
-Kent-

1976 Riviera, my chrome yellow VAN - "Chloe"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cv66seabear
Samba Member


Joined: February 18, 2017
Posts: 67
Location: Wisconsin
cv66seabear is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

OK, I'm back with more really stupid questions...

I want to add felt underlining up front under the carpet. Almost everything has a slit in the carpet, so it can be slid out - except the accelerator pedal. Do I have to disassemble the pedal to put in the felt and replace the carpet?

My jalousie window knob just snapped off, do I need to replace the entire mechanism, or is it just a screw that goes into the mech?

Thanks for the assist -
Kent
_________________
"Not all who wander are lost." JRR Tolkien

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"
2015 Passat 1.8T "Rudy"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cv66seabear
Samba Member


Joined: February 18, 2017
Posts: 67
Location: Wisconsin
cv66seabear is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I knew I'd be the one to ask questions so stupid no one would answer.
_________________
"Not all who wander are lost." JRR Tolkien

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"
2015 Passat 1.8T "Rudy"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride_On
Samba Member


Joined: August 27, 2015
Posts: 166
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Ride_On is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I broke the knob on our Jalousie too. Just needed to buy a new (or used)
knob. Unscrew old, slide new one on, put screw in, tighten and done...

cv66seabear wrote:
OK, I'm back with more really stupid questions...

I want to add felt underlining up front under the carpet. Almost everything has a slit in the carpet, so it can be slid out - except the accelerator pedal. Do I have to disassemble the pedal to put in the felt and replace the carpet?

My jalousie window knob just snapped off, do I need to replace the entire mechanism, or is it just a screw that goes into the mech?

Thanks for the assist -
Kent

_________________
1977 Westfalia 2.0 FI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI DSG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member


Joined: July 20, 2011
Posts: 11755
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Tcash is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I want to add felt underlining up front under the carpet. Almost everything has a slit in the carpet, so it can be slid out - except the accelerator pedal. Do I have to disassemble the pedal to put in the felt and replace the carpet?
Look at the drawing assembly F 213 2000 001 Llkg. To remove the gas pedal. Unclip Spring #3 from #8 and pull pin #16 out.
thx mayor ratwell
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche/t206200.gif

My jalousie window knob just snapped off, do I need to replace the entire mechanism, or is it just a screw that goes into the mech?
Knob
http://www.busdepot.com/253070937b
Be aware there is a right and a left Hand Torque Operator
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5467267#5467267
Jalousie (louvered) Windows

Good luck
Tcash
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cv66seabear
Samba Member


Joined: February 18, 2017
Posts: 67
Location: Wisconsin
cv66seabear is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks TCASH. Not sure why my searches of forums always yield poor results.

So I do have to remove the accelerator pedal to install. OK!
_________________
"Not all who wander are lost." JRR Tolkien

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"
2015 Passat 1.8T "Rudy"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 333, 334, 335 ... 349, 350, 351  Next
Jump to:
Page 334 of 351

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2016, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB