Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 342, 343, 344 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

stwesty wrote:
Thanks TCash, I'll give that a try tonight.

Hmm maybe he inferred it from the fact that I have a CV (Vanagon) engine code on the main part of the engine by the distributor while the rear fan shroud casing has an AW code on it (73-75). I hope the mix'n'match doesn't give me any problems.

From the engine codes.You cannot infer anything, other than what the engine started out as. These engines have been rebuilt numerous times and parts swapped from other vehicles.
The fan housing could be off another engine all together.
Best to take a look.
Good luck
Tcash
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Put a few drops of oil in the cylinders and do another test,a rise in pressure would indicate worn rings,no change would be valves.
I would not tear down an otherwise good running engine for a 10% difference in cylinder pressure.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
stwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
Put a few drops of oil in the cylinders and do another test,a rise in pressure would indicate worn rings,no change would be valves.
I would not tear down an otherwise good running engine for a 10% difference in cylinder pressure.

This was an 80-90% *leakage* in 2 cylinders! So also a huge difference in compression. I did try the oil squirt and the compression went up a small amount in one but that could have just been my error in measuring. I took it into the shop to get them to verify my compression numbers and also do a leakage test.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

A cold compression test, especially with hydraulic lifters may be pretty worthless. How does your engine sound? Is the exhaust tone nice and steady or do some cylinders pulse worse than others?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm going with a loose cylinder head- but been wrong a few times.

If the shop can't confirm your findings you might try this-

can you put a card over the exhaust and have it flap in the breeze, or will it occasionally suck flat against the pipe?- while no longer a definitive test (emissions run idle so lean you can get misfires by design) it may indicate a poorly performing cylinder- and when combined with a cylinder drop test - get you closer to your problem.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Got the ACDelco VR from amazon. Funny thing is, looks exactly like the original one I had. Looks like it's a standard VR that's rebranded.

Anyways, what's the consensus on gas caps, are there any new ones that actually work and fit?

I believe the part number for my 72 is 211201551G or H. Do 71s fit as well?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:

I believe the part number for my 72 is 211201551G Non locking or H Locking.
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Looks like the locking one isn't in stock anywhere except for used in the classifieds.

Also, the parts book says 211201551G (70mm) but online vendors have it as 60mm. Are they still the same?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Call and make sure it is locking. They may have wrong prt#.
https://www.vwispwest.com/211201551H.html

http://www.bugstuffonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=2347

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-gates-parts/fuel-caps/211201551h~gat/

http://www.chinavwaircooled.com/index.php/product/VW+Beetle+Gas+Cap+211201551H.html

Good luck
Tcash
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Okay, it's time to play "How many Stupid Questions can be asked in one posting?"...

I'm a big fan of Car Talk. And a couple of time, the guys said starting from a dead stop in second gear is not a problem. I feel the engine lugs the first couple hundred RPMs, and doesn't do the engine any good.
Question What are your thoughts on starting off in second?
(I ask this since Chloe occasionally can't go into first gear, and I've had to start off from a stop light in second. Baaaaaaad KentPS!)

Second stupid question: If you are cruising along and come up to a stop sign, it is possible to let your foot off the gas, and shift into neutral without pushing the clutch.
Question Does this damage the clutch or anything important?
Since seeing NYCynthia's spring plate go bad, I've been paranoid about my clutching skills. And Car Talk is only in reruns forever now, so I can't ask the Tappet Brothers.

And lastly, another Car Talk caller said her boyfriend bump starts his car every time he leaves the house, since the car is pointed downhill. Car Talk said there's not only no damage to the clutch or transmission starting that way, but it saves wear and tear on the starter and solenoid, and less drain on the battery. But a bump start sounds like it's putting a lot of stress on the clutch plate.
Question Agree or not?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Okay, it's time to play "How many Stupid Questions can be asked in one posting?"...

I'm a big fan of Car Talk. And a couple of time, the guys said starting from a dead stop in second gear is not a problem. I feel the engine lugs the first couple hundred RPMs, and doesn't do the engine any good.
(I ask this since Chloe occasionally can't go into first gear, and I've had to start off from a stop light in second. Baaaaaaad KentPS!)

Second stupid question: If you are cruising along and come up to a stop sign, it is possible to let your foot off the gas, and shift into neutral without pushing the clutch.
Since seeing NYCynthia's spring plate go bad, I've been paranoid about my clutching skills. And Car Talk is only in reruns forever now, so I can't ask the Tappet Brothers.

And lastly, another Car Talk caller said her boyfriend bump starts his car every time he leaves the house, since the car is pointed downhill. Car Talk said there's not only no damage to the clutch or transmission starting that way, but it saves wear and tear on the starter and solenoid, and less drain on the battery. But a bump start sounds like it's putting a lot of stress on the clutch plate.
Question Agree or not?

#1; I try to avoid it in a bus, other vehicles with more torque or lower gear ratios are fine, it's OK if you are already rolling a little or facing downhill.
#2; Although I'll admit to doing it now and then when conditions are right it's not good for your shift forks or sliders if you get it wrong, how strong is your tranny?
#3; Push starting is no different than starting out in 1'st as far as clutch wear goes, maybe even less since there's no slipping involved, it's the same process except the energy is going in the opoosite direction. The sudden jerk can test weak engine mounts and other drive components to thier breaking point, but it's something that was on the way out already so push all you like IMO.

YMMV Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Fix what is wrong with your transmission or shifter and/or figure out some way to smoothly to get it into first. By starting out in second you are probably increasing your clutch wear by a factor of at least 5.

Quote:

If you are in 3rd or 4th is is probably not a big deal, just learn the correct vehicle speed that works for each gear. Trying to slip from first or second into neutral without the clutch may stress some components. Note however that your clutch gets virtually zero wear when you depress the peddle just to throw the tranny into neutral.

Quote:
Question Agree or not?

I would not recommend starting a bus in first gear this way and would avoid even doing so in second if possible. When doing so in first you are really jarring the clutch components, notable the springs on the clutch disc and the rivets that hold the linings to the flex plate. The tranny parts also are going to get a pretty good jolt. A lot of times when trying to start a vehicle in first all you do is drag the wheels so starting in a higher gear is more apt to be effective anyway. On a 10 mph roll, third gear will bring the engine up to a much higher speed than the starter could possibly do and you will get no jarring or wheel slippage when you let out on the clutch.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks BD & WT. It never hurts to learn more about things I can do to extend the life of the clutch and transmission parts. If I never have to pull the engine again, I'll be fine with it. Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
DJC1211
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I just picked up a 71 Westy that is missing the heater boxes. I found a set of originals but one of the flaps is missing. Does anyone know the best spot to find this? I couldn't find it in my usual shops I check so I'm thinking I might have to find one used. Thanks for the help.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DJC1211 wrote:
Hey guys,
I just picked up a 71 Westy that is missing the heater boxes. I found a set of originals but one of the flaps is missing. Does anyone know the best spot to find this? I couldn't find it in my usual shops I check so I'm thinking I might have to find one used. Thanks for the help.

Reach out to your local guys, and the classifieds here.
I know Bus Depot has the type 4 flaps, perhaps take a look there?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DJC1211 wrote:
Hey guys,

Salvage yard is probably your best bet.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shops/
Good luck
Tcash
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Post moved to its own thread as it seems a bit too in depth for the stupid question thread.

Last edited by obnoxiousblue on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DJC1211
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Just what I was looking for! Thanks a ton

Tcash wrote:
DJC1211 wrote:
Hey guys,

Salvage yard is probably your best bet.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shops/
Good luck
Tcash
ryyanking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

(what it is: 74 bus, 1.8 type iv with hydraulic lifters replacing 009 with pertronix 1 svda distributor)

Any tips/tricks on installing a new distributor? I can't seem to get it to fully seat.

I got it to #1 TDC with the 009, took the 009 out, got the clamp on the Pertornix, oiled the o-ring and shaft, and have been pushing and twisting for about an hour and I can't get it all the way in.

Does this dizzy even fit?
westysmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm looking at a '78 bus with 110,000 miles on the original engine (all FI equipment intact too). Original paint, Floors are perfect and only some surface rust along the windshield, battery tray, and a couple other exterior areas.

It runs well, but of course I'm still new to all of this, so take my opinion of how well it runs with a grain of salt. Should I factor in the cost of an engine rebuild due to miles into the purchase price or should I do a compression test before assuming 110K miles is too far gone?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 342, 343, 344 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 343 of 515

Jump to: