Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 347, 348, 349 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

jack-o-van wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
So with the clutch depressed, the shims will not seat against the thrust bearing because the shoulder is in the way? Just want to make sure I know what is going on here.

With the flywheel off, I put a shim on the crankshaft and it sits on the thrust bearing, and when I push on the pulley on the back of the engine to produce end-play, the shim lifts off the thrust bearing surface because it's opening is too small to fit over the shoulder on the crankshaft.

The shims are wrong- compare all your shims- one kind will be bigger than the other- clearly the shims must clear the crank- I have NO expirence with interference fit (wedge mate) flywheels used in racing- it's time to call Fomoco-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jack-o-van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
jack-o-van wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
So with the clutch depressed, the shims will not seat against the thrust bearing because the shoulder is in the way? Just want to make sure I know what is going on here.

Not with the clutch depressed, but with the flywheel torqued down. I haven't mounted the clutch. And I'm not sure at all! But what I'm wondering is whether the shoulder on the crankshaft is hitting the inside radius of the shims, pushed down by the shim-thrust-bearing surface of the flywheel, and the shims are cupping or flexing toward the thrust bearing and pushing against it with the flywheel torqued down. I can't think of anything else that makes sense. In a sense, the shims are getting thicker.

Sorry, I had things turned around in my mind when I posted. Crying or Very sad

Welcome to my world! This thing has me baffled. And I'm not sure I have the right answer, either. Going to try to test it but need some larger-opening shims. I've started posting on a more specific thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8598733#8598733
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Trying to improve cabin heating while at the same time deleting heat exchangers, heat pipes etc.
Thought about just fitting an Eber/Webasto type fuelled air heater under the cabin right where the heater pipe comes up to the cabin.

Something like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is there any downside to doing this? Anyone here tried it before? Searching for the subject only brings up the big old BN4 thing... How about fitting one of these smaller and more modern ones in the front like that?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

maz-o wrote:
Trying to improve cabin heating while at the same time deleting heat exchangers, heat pipes etc.
Thought about just fitting an Eber/Webasto type fuelled air heater under the cabin right where the heater pipe comes up to the cabin.

Something like this:

Is there any downside to doing this? Anyone here tried it before? Searching for the subject only brings up the big old BN4 thing... How about fitting one of these smaller and more modern ones in the front like that?

The air flow volume counts for a lot, that is one of the big problems with the stock setup, not enough pressure to force a sufficient volume of air to the front. Whatever you go with needs to have a fan that puts out enough pressure and volume to force enough air through the undersized stock ductwork to get a goodly flow of air to the defrosters. With the stock set up a booster fan mounted forward in the vehicle helps, you want to look at a setup with a pretty high amp draw for the fan.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

As some of you know, we are 'reinventing' the Big Emma bus interior to make the living in it aspect a little more convenient. As part of this exercise, we want to get as many 'non-household' items out of the inside as possible. One idea is to fabricate a metal box to fit between the frame rails on the driver's side - similar to where the under-bus propane tank sits below the slider. The box would be something like 30" wide (width between frame rails?), 24" deep and maybe 4.5" tall and tucked up tight to the bus floor.

First..... I'd like comments on this idea.

Second.....One item that would be placed in this box is the bottle jack. Leading to my next stupid question. Is it detrimental to store a bottle jack on it side for long periods of time (as in years). I wouldn't think so ..... but I rather be sure. After all - its going to be my kid under there someplace in the Amazon rain forest!

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

How will you get access to the storage box? Yes a hyd bottle jack needs to be stored standing up.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The intent is that the side of the box facing the 'outside' would be a hinged (and lockable) door that was the entire width of the box.

Besides the potential bottle jack storage (now probably not), it would contain things like the leveling boards, a folding mat that is used outside while camping, and if we can make it water tight, maybe some random other items that are not frequently used.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I don't think storing a jack on it's side will be bad for it if the seals are good and nothing leaks out.
But stuff like that might be convenient when all the wheels are up to the axles in mud or down in holes, access to the box might be difficult in those situations.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Bottle jacks are often used on their sides for various purposes. They will store on their side quite well if the fill plug isn't leaking.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Busdaddy -
Considering that Big Emma is sitting in my garage in Illinois and being rebuilt, as opposed to being ocean side in Belize because they were caught in that enormous flash flood that left the bus submerged for a day, I am confident that Emma and Sven will steer as clear as possible from any water hazard.

Kidding aside - your point is one we have been considering as we think thru all of the options. That - and we don't want any significant compromise to the ground clearance. An under body propane tank it almost certainly in the plan and we don't really want to go any lower than what that will be.

They don't really plan on any real serious 'off roading', but some of the roads they will be forced to traverse will approach that anyway.
dolamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What's this hole in my bus for?

dolamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Why do both turn signal indicators blink at the same time in my bus? Is this normal?

Link

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

dolamike wrote:
Why do both turn signal indicators blink at the same time in my bus? Is this normal?

Link

Yes- not sure of the reasoning but maybe to just get more attention to the signals being left on- at least it's not a buzzer.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

dolamike wrote:
What's this hole in my bus for?

Drainage for the rust proofing primer the bus shell received when submerged in a vat of it. It drained out that hole when the body was lifted out of the primer tank. There was a factory plug installed in that hole when they were new.

There's a thread somewhere on this site that discussed it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
dolamike wrote:

[youtube]

Yes- not sure of the reasoning but maybe to just get more attention to the signals being left on- at least it's not a buzzer.

...because Germans are smart enough to know which way they tip a lever when the lights are flashing at them...

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

dolamike wrote:

Early Transporters had just a single light, so I would guess when they started doing the design updates to build the bay they added a second light to the instrument cluster but didn't get the wiring redone until a later date.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
dolamike wrote:

Early Transporters had just a single light, so I would guess when they started doing the design updates to build the bay they added a second light to the instrument cluster but didn't get the wiring redone until a later date.

[diagram]

And it went back to a single light ~74 when VW needed room for smog system warning lights in the instrument. Bugs never got dual lights, only the pride of the fleet were afforded such luxuries, and maybe some type 3's IIRC.

If you aren't smart enough to know which way you signalled you might want to rethink renewing your drivers license. VW knew thier customers were very astute already and could figure that out, if they weren't why did they choose exceptional German engineering and build quality at an affordable price?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Where can I find the little crush washers for the 3/4 fuel rail test port screw/plug for FI?
Mine is leaking, and I'd like to get several spares. Gracias!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Where can I find the little crush washers for the 3/4 fuel rail test port screw/plug for FI?
Mine is leaking, and I'd like to get several spares. Gracias!

Check out Ray's response here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=367580&highlight=test+port+washer

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks BD!
I neglected to enter "test port" when I searched, so I missed that one.
That idea of Ray's (aluminum support washer) sounds like the best solution.
Thanks Ray!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 347, 348, 349 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 348 of 515

Jump to: