Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 359, 360, 361 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:
I'm working on a '73 and the battery tray and rear corner has been cut out because of the usual rust and/or beat to hell. When it comes time to reaseamble, do I install the rear corner or the battery tray first?

It's cut just above the taillight from seam to seam all the way down. Or test fit/trim the tray, then install the corner, then install the tray?

Thanks.

I'll be facing the same problem soon, so I'm eager to hear the answer.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Target wrote:
I'm working on a '73 and the battery tray and rear corner has been cut out because of the usual rust and/or beat to hell. When it comes time to reaseamble, do I install the rear corner or the battery tray first?

It's cut just above the taillight from seam to seam all the way down. Or test fit/trim the tray, then install the corner, then install the tray?

Thanks.

Can't be too stupid since we still don't have a reply!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:
KentPS wrote:
Target wrote:

Thanks.

I'd fit the corner piece in place first. You need to line up the gaps for that piece first as it's more important. Once it's in place and the gaps are good around the apron/engine lid and fender well, tack weld it in place. You can then fit the battery tray in and adjust it to fit.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Target wrote:
KentPS wrote:
Target wrote:

Thanks.

I'd fit the corner piece in place first. You need to line up the gaps for that piece first as it's more important. Once it's in place and the gaps are good around the apron/engine lid and fender well, tack weld it in place. You can then fit the battery tray in and adjust it to fit.

I agree, do the part everyone sees and get it right first, unless you are using all NOS panels you may get a little suprise of the unpleasant kind if the tray is a little off and the corner won't go on.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

busdaddy wrote:

I agree, do the part everyone sees and get it right first, unless you are using all NOS panels you may get a little suprise of the unpleasant kind if the tray is a little off and the corner won't go on.

Thanks fellas. That seems like the right call. Funny enough, the curve seems to be pretty close but frame side corner is way off.

Just to be sure, the battery trays were spot welded to the corner? It was so rotted and seam sealed that I can't tell. Gonna be a tad difficult rose welding without warping.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:
Just to be sure, the battery trays were spot welded to the corner? It was so rotted and seam sealed that I can't tell. Gonna be a tad difficult rose welding without warping.

Do it from the inside and space them a few inches apart, take your time between welds and it shouldn't warp much.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I’m going to tackle this job this weekend for the first time. What is the best stuff to use to clean this mess?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1966 Beetle
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Putty knife and rags,a bit of elbow grease.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SevenOaks wrote:
I’m going to tackle this job this weekend for the first time. What is the best stuff to use to clean this mess?

Have a full roll of paper towels available along with a goodly pile of rags. The putty knife will clean the outside well and the paper towels will gather globs of grease from the insides and quickly move them to the trash.
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I see a lot of discussion about gear oil in manual transmissions, on GL-4 or 5's and all that other stuff. I'm going to change the oil in my 78' VW Westy soon, 2.0EFI with manual trans, has anyone ever used this 80W90 Valvoline Gear oil? Says it's both GL4 and 5....

Or should I find something else?

SS
fon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I am going to do some work on the luggage rods of my 70 westy, anyone know the proper rivet size, material and were to get them.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:
I see a lot of discussion about gear oil in manual transmissions, on GL-4 or 5's and all that other stuff. I'm going to change the oil in my 78' VW Westy soon, 2.0EFI with manual trans, has anyone ever used this 80W90 Valvoline Gear oil? Says it's both GL4 and 5....
[pics]

SS

Such a slippery slope discussing oils, this'll keep you busy: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276529

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

fon wrote:
Hi Guys,
I am going to do some work on the luggage rods of my 70 westy, anyone know the proper rivet size, material and were to get them.

3/16" wide head aluminum or stainless steel with ~1/2" grip, get the backup washers for them as well, all found at Home depot and other hardware stores.

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:

SS

The way I interpret what it says on the back is that it is not recommended for use in a synchronized gear box.
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello guys. I am new here..just acquied a 1970 t2a westythat is missing the front passenger seat.

As i only could find another driver seat and i know the rails are different.. can i use the diver seat also for passenger side? Do you know what mods are necessary?

Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It will be a lot easier to just wait and find a passenger seat.. the shapes are a bit different plus the pass side doesn't use rails, it just pops into the upper rear hook and lower supports. I'm guessing it's a walk thru? Probably worth looking through the classifieds here depending on your location.
71 Deluxe Bay
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I live in a place where i should be happy i found a driver seat at all..
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My stupid question #24,

What is this metal opening below the glove box?

I do not see it in any manual. My back is not in great shape right now to look under the dash to see if there are wires there.. but feels like it. I don't think it is a power supply as the opening appears to be to small... so it seems.

Think I will have to get another shot in my back to get my disc in order.. the shot is excruciating ! Shocked

Thanks
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
My stupid question #24,

What is this metal opening below the glove box?

I do not see it in any manual. My back is not in great shape right now to look under the dash to see if there are wires there.. but feels like it. I don't think it is a power supply as the opening appears to be to small... so it seems.

Think I will have to get another shot in my back to get my disc in order.. the shot is excruciating ! Shocked

Thanks
Its the mysterious silver socket, kind of a predecessor of today's USB port.
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Oh man, .........

Hey! I could have money riding on this.. ya never know.... Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 359, 360, 361 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 360 of 515

Jump to: