Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 361, 362, 363 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm way behind in my quota of stupid questions, so here's one:

While driving my '76 Riviera, there is a fairly loud, high pitched squeak that sounds like it's coming from under the front of the bus. When I'm driving, it sounds like it's originating under the passenger floor. But when Robbie was in the passenger seat, he thought it was coming from under the driver's floor.

It's not a consistent squeak, so I don't believe it's brake, steering or suspension related. Rather, it is quiet while driving on very smooth surfaces and gets more noticeable the rougher the roads get.

I've climbed under several times to try to locate the source of the noise. And tried it with wheels down and in the air, shaking anything I could find. But it's got me baffled.

Does anyone have experience with a noise like that they were able to eliminate? I'm planning a couple rather long road trips this spring and summer, and would prefer not listening to it for days on end.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
I'm way behind in my quota of stupid questions, so here's one:

While driving my '76 Riviera, there is a fairly loud, high pitched squeak that sounds like it's coming from under the front of the bus. When I'm driving, it sounds like it's originating under the passenger floor. But when Robbie was in the passenger seat, he thought it was coming from under the driver's floor.

It's not a consistent squeak, so I don't believe it's brake, steering or suspension related. Rather, it is quiet while driving on very smooth surfaces and gets more noticeable the rougher the roads get.

I've climbed under several times to try to locate the source of the noise. And tried it with wheels down and in the air, shaking anything I could find. But it's got me baffled.

Does anyone have experience with a noise like that they were able to eliminate? I'm planning a couple rather long road trips this spring and summer, and would prefer not listening to it for days on end.

It isn't often that one gets to answer their own stupid questions. But this morning I found the source of the annoying front-end squeak and eliminated it.

The source of the squeak? The ice cooler cabinet behind the passenger seat. It was a little loose and rubbed against the padding at the top of the bulkhead. A very simple fix to a very annoying problem.

If only they were all so easy to fix...

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

The source of the squeak? The ice cooler cabinet behind the passenger seat. It was a little loose and rubbed against the padding at the top of the bulkhead. A very simple fix to a very annoying problem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LOL!

Glad you found your source. I HHATTTEEE rattles and squeaks!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

OK here's one that I've wondered about for a long time: When building engines for use in the Southern Hemisphere, is it better if they rotate counter-clockwise?
If I drive to South America, will my motor try to tear itself apart trying to turn backwards?

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:
OK here's one that I've wondered about for a long time: When building engines for use in the Southern Hemisphere, is it better if they rotate counter-clockwise?
If I drive to South America, will my motor try to tear itself apart trying to turn backwards?

I hear the left main seal will become the right main seal on a transverse mounted engine. Wink
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:
Yes, it will. Wink
And remember, you read it on the internet so it has to be true!

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

If I wanted to modify a bus to haul a light vehicle, such as a bug, what sort of modifications would I need to make to the suspension? The pic appears to be a former bus turned into a Doka car hauler.
1969 Westy, mostly stock, the Road Trip bus.
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The person who runs vw-mplate.com, are they on vacation from doing that or is there a way to contact them? Sent e-mails already twice, with photo.

I'm trying to get a hold of them to fix the two transposed numbers I put into it when I put my plate in.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
JackStraw72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

*****Stupid Question Alert*****

1969 Westy

What color would the wheels have been when new? Would they have been painted white or black? Would the hubcaps be chrome or painted?

I have seen:

Black wheels with chrome caps
Black wheels with white painted caps
White wheels with chrome caps
White Wheels with White painted caps

Which would be correct?

Thanks!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

JackStraw72 wrote:
*****Stupid Question Alert*****

1969 Westy

What color would the wheels have been when new? Would they have been painted white or black? Would the hubcaps be chrome or painted?

I have seen:

Black wheels with chrome caps
Black wheels with white painted caps
White wheels with chrome caps
White Wheels with White painted caps

Which would be correct?

Thanks!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php
Wheels L581 Cloud white, hubcaps L70X Grey silver, some (not all) Westfalia's were available with a chrome hub cap.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
grapedaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

How would bird eggs get into an oil bath air cleaner?

Seriously, I was cleaning the gunk out my air cleaner today and there were several bird eggs the sizeof() robin eggs, but with very thick broken shells soaking in black oil. At first I guessed there had been a bird's nest at the air intake, but there is no room for a nest. How did the bird eggs get into the oil bath through that tiny opening where a bird wouldn't fit? . . .and how did they get past all those flaps that would usually be closed when the bus isn't running?
---end---
2003 Westfalia "Tourmaline" (sold)
2021 MB Metris Getaway “TheDarkSide”
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

grapedaddy wrote:

You are three weeks late, grapedaddy. April Fools Day has past. Laughing

---WildIdea

tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Are there any recommended stores around LA? My bus is a 1974 straight-up T2 Combi and I’m down to the last details: maybe dashboard buttons, the weird plastic thingies to increase air flow to the vents, fuel hoses, clamps, grommets.
Taking my wife there and I need something to do with my time while she shops.
Thanks.
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

grapedaddy wrote:
How did the bird eggs get into the oil bath through that tiny opening where a bird wouldn't fit? . . .and how did they get past all those flaps that would usually be closed when the bus isn't running?

Sounds rodentially plausible.

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

tonysantacruz wrote:
Are there any recommended stores around LA?

West Coast Metric, Harbor City, just off I-110. If they don't have it, they know who does.
Gates Barricade are good fuel lines.

tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks. Also, I have a 1974 dashboard cluster that I am going to install. However, how can I test if the lights work? I took typing instead of electricity in High School, so I'm not that knowledgeable on how could I do it. With a 12volt battery and alligator clamps?
stwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is there a trick to filling the hypoid oil in the final drive? I've located the 17mm hex plug but and can't imagine how i'm supposed to pour the oil sideways into that hole.

I have a 003 automatic transmission fwiw and yes, I probably should have filled it before re-installing my engine and tranny.
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Grease pump at this stage. Yes, much easier on the ground.

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

trying to figure out what oil filter is in my 73. it did have a engine swap before I got it. looking at the numbers stamped on the bottom is not helping me. it is white, with yellow numbers. 1st line is a string of numbers and letters, and in some cases I cant tell what is an 8 or an S and a 0 from a O. second line is a patent number, and it looks to be a champion patent, and 3rd line is PRODUCT of the USA
Is there a FLAPS oil filter I can use, or should I go with old ratwell info?
here is line one
1 20 SOSES1 12 26 or is it
1 20 80SES1

edit-looks to be on an oil cooler, lower left hand side of the bus.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The stock oil filter uses a very common 3/4"-16 thread. If you don't want to go through the hassle of finding the odd ball filter the book calls for a short Ford or Dodge filter will work fine, like a Motorcraft FL-300. If you haven't lowered your bus and don't drive on extremely rough roads where you are scraping the bottom of your engine, you can run a long Ford or Dodge filter, like a Motorcraft, FL-1a. The FL-1a or its equivalent in another brand was for a very long time the most common filter out there, and even today should be available most anywhere.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 361, 362, 363 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 362 of 515

Jump to: