Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 365, 366, 367 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jack_O_Trades wrote:
Has anyone sourced a replacement for the OEM wire loom used by VW? It seams like most of this is found in the engine bay. It looks like heat shrink that hasn’t been shrunk.

Thanks

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8082848#8082848

https://www.grainger.com/category/wire-and-cable-s...sst=subset

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Happy Mothers Day
Tcash
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Type IV engine. What are these two giant bolts on either side of the intake for? Both sides have them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:
Type IV engine. What are these two giant bolts on either side of the intake for? Both sides have them.

[img]Picture not hosted on the Samba, bad bad boy [img]

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=648511

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:

Certain early Type 4 engines had air injection ports into the exhaust. I would assume the bolts are blocking off these ports.
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

[img]Picture not hosted on the Samba, bad bad boy [img]

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=648511

Thanks. That points me in the right direction.

Hey now, imgur at least has a stable source of revenue. Unlike photobucket.

Wildthings wrote:

Certain early Type 4 engines had air injection ports into the exhaust. I would assume the bolts are blocking off these ports.

That makes sense. These bolts are threaded DEEP. Deep enough that I'd be worried it's going to impact air flow. Is there a preferred way to plug these? Whole smog system is long gone.

My searching is coming up with 10mm bolts, saw off the heads, and locktite them in place but I'm still weary the bolts are too long. Is that a possibility or should I just not worry about it?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ideally you would want them flush inside the exhaust port to minimize their effect on air flow, but without removing the heads this would be hard to accomplish. They also hold the tin in place so having a standard bolt with a head verses a valve adjusting screw installed deep in the hole is good. The holes also can be welded up and then tapped for a 6mm screw to hold the tin.

For now I would just leave them the way they are.
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2130973
Do you guys know if this system will fit up to my bus? I have a 78 2.0L fuel injection. Will the heater boxes match up?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Sawspa wrote:
Do you guys know if this system will fit up to my bus? I have a 78 2.0L fuel injection. Will the heater boxes match up?

Assuming you still have oval port heads and don't have to meet any visual or other smog requirements it should work. From the flanges through the heater boxes it is original, but the pipes and muffler are not.
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Sawspa wrote:

Assuming you still have oval port heads and don't have to meet any visual or other smog requirements it should work. From the flanges through the heater boxes it is original, but the pipes and muffler are not.

Thank you! I don’t really need to meet any visual requirements, just wanted the holes and heater holes to match up. Im hoping the aftermarket collector pipe and muffler will stuff up in there as well. Thanks for the quick reply!
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My 79 Westy's turn signals don't auto-cancel. I know there is a signal cancelling ring for Bugs, is there one for busses?
TIA for the help.
Kent

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699273

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:

These, probably. Kinda doubt they are bolt threads, more likely plumbing thread cut. Not the same animal. These were on my 1700cc 1973 bus engine which came factory equipped with a air injection system for emissions. These are threaded tubing connections.

I removed that engine long ago, but you can plug the holes after removing the tubes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Follow up on those bolts. I think they're most certainly too long judging by the soot on the end of each bolt.

Alright, another stupid question. I know the tins are important and I have most of them installed. But I'm missing the Deflector Plates, Left Rear Cover Plates, Right Rear Cover Plate, and the Left Rear Air Duct.

All going off of the Bentley "Engine and Clutch" section page 20.

How crucial are the deflector plates? And can the remaining missing pieces be installed after the engine in installed? Or is that an astronomical pain in the ass.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:
Follow up on those bolts. I think they're most certainly too long judging by the soot on the end of each bolt.

Alright, another stupid question. I know the tins are important and I have most of them installed. But I'm missing the Deflector Plates, Left Rear Cover Plates, Right Rear Cover Plate, and the Left Rear Air Duct.

All going off of the Bentley "Engine and Clutch" section page 20.

How crucial are the deflector plates? And can the remaining missing pieces be installed after the engine in installed? Or is that an astronomical pain in the ass.

Those bolts don't look like the correct 10x1mm thread, so don't know what is going on there. You should be able to figure out the correct length fairly close by making some kind of gauge to check the depth, like a piece of stiff wire with a 90° bend in its end. Assuming your present bolts have something besides the 10x1mm thread, you should go with the threads your present bolts have.

Yes you need all the tins, the deflectors in particular.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu May 17, 2018 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Those bolts don't look like the correct 10x1mm thread, so don't know what is going on there. You should be able to figure out the correct length fairly close by making some kind of gauge to check the depth, like a piece of stiff wire with a 90° bend in its end. Assuming your present bolts have something besides the 10x1mm thread, you should go with the threads your present bolts have.

Yes you need all the tine, the deflectors in particular.

The bolts aren't crossed but they are a loose in the hole. I'll figure something out. Worst case scenario is to weld a washer to the base as a stop. It might be an 8x1.

The PO who setup this motor is the same one who thought a solid inch of body filler on the B pillar was an acceptable repair.

What about installing them before or after the motor is in? Cause the preferred timeline would be after the motor is in but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Deflectors seem like a before item.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

They all are important. Especially the deflector plates that sit under the pushrod tubes.

1972-73-74 Type IV (4) Engine Tins

classifieds tin search
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Good luck
Tcash
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
They all are important. Especially the deflector plates that sit under the pushrod tubes.

1972-73-74 Type IV (4) Engine Tins

classifieds tin search
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Good luck
Tcash

I picked up a set of deflector tins and the left rear air duct today. None of the classified or eBay listings seem to have the trio of "rear" cover plates.

I'd really like to know IF they can be installed once the engine is in.
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:

The bolts aren't crossed but they are a loose in the hole. I'll figure something out. Worst case scenario is to weld a washer to the base as a stop. It might be an 8x1.

The PO who setup this motor is the same one who thought a solid inch of body filler on the B pillar was an acceptable repair.

What about installing them before or after the motor is in? Cause the preferred timeline would be after the motor is in but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Deflectors seem like a before item.

Those bolts are for plugging threaded holes in the exhaust ports in the heads. The soot indicates how far into the ports they are protruding, blocking the flow. Or they may not even be threaded into the port, leaving a fatal exhaust leak that will burn the heads. They can only be seen in the ports with the heater boxes removed.

I seem to recall that seat belt mounting bolts are good for that purpose as they don't protrude up thru the tins. I've put JB Weld on the threads before to seal them.
The trick is to plug the holes without blocking flow. And not to have to remove them with the engine tins.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:
I picked up a set of deflector tins and the left rear air duct today. None of the classified or eBay listings seem to have the trio of "rear" cover plates.

I'd really like to know IF they can be installed once the engine is in.

Give us a number from this thread of the piece of tin you are talking about:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=585135, both from the Micro Fiche and the photos.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:
I seem to recall that seat belt mounting bolts are good for that purpose as they don't protrude up thru the tins.

Seat belt bolts are 7/16"x20, although somewhat close in diameter and pitch they will be making new threads and a mess as they go in. Valve adjuster screws are the #1 choice for air injection holes, same thread as the holes in the head, short enough to not reach into the port and no head to interfere with the tin.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 365, 366, 367 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 366 of 515

Jump to: