Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 369, 370, 371 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:
Been searching engine tin, maybe exhaust. What is this called so I can look for one. Looks like a silencer type shield over the muffler.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2179931
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I've got another stupid question for you lads.

I'm working on getting the motor in a '73. Type 4, automatic. The assembly is mated and up in the car... sort of. Rear two trans bolts are in. Everything is line up appropriately. But I can't for the life of me get the two top trans holes to line up with the cross beam that's installed in the car.

It fits between the two taps like it's supposed to, goes about halfway in, and then the jack lifts the entire back of the car up instead of pushing it into the opening.

Any pro tips?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:

I'm working on getting the motor in a '73. Type 4, automatic. The assembly is mated and up in the car... sort of. Rear two trans bolts are in. Everything is line up appropriately. But I can't for the life of me get the two top trans holes to line up with the cross beam that's installed in the car.

It fits between the two taps like it's supposed to, goes about halfway in, and then the jack lifts the entire back of the car up instead of pushing it into the opening.

Any pro tips?

Is the mustache bar contacting the side rails and doing the lifting?
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Target wrote:

Any pro tips?

I'm almost positive it's not but I'll keep an eye on that next attempt.

Theoretically there shouldn't be a problem with the order I'm attaching everything, right? Rear trans, mid, and crossmember/mustache bar? I'm able to get the top of the trans about halfway in before the bus starts moving with it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Target wrote:

Any pro tips?

Theoretically there shouldn't be a problem with the order I'm attaching everything, right? Rear trans, mid, and crossmember/mustache bar? I'm able to get the top of the trans about halfway in before the bus starts moving with it.

Leave the two 10mm bolts (17mm heads) that attach the front transmission mount to the frame loose so that the tranny can move forward and back a bit. You might also want to loosen the bolts that hold the brackets to the ends of the mustache bar.
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

oil filler nut is stubborn and won't come off. the slotted tool is of no use, it won't grab the nut hard enough (it slips out of the grooves with the slightest force).
is there any better way to get the oil filler nut out?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

maz-o wrote:
oil filler nut is stubborn and won't come off. the slotted tool is of no use, it won't grab the nut hard enough (it slips out of the grooves with the slightest force).

I have a tool made from a strap hinge that I use. It is basically a piece of bar stock that I ground down to fit into the recess in the nut. I turn it with a cresent wrench.
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Target wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Target wrote:

Any pro tips?

Leave the two 10mm bolts (17mm heads) that attach the front transmission mount to the frame loose so that the tranny can move forward and back a bit. You might also want to loosen the bolts that hold the brackets to the ends of the mustache bar.

Now I’m just struggling with getting the tranny to frame bolts to thread into the nuts. I have it through the first side of the bracket and the tubes in the trans. It’s really not cooperating. Everything is as loose as it can be without falling out...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Target wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Target wrote:

Any pro tips?

Now I’m just struggling with getting the tranny to frame bolts to thread into the nuts. I have it through the first side of the bracket and the tubes in the trans. It’s really not cooperating. Everything is as loose as it can be without falling out...

Bolt the rest of the mounts up and then lay under the engine/trans with your head to the front, you can reach around the transmission like you are hugging it to install the bolt and lift the engine with your knee to fine tune the hole alignment.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
maz-o wrote:

Oil filter stuck
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700109&highlight=oil+filter

I think he's referring to the nut down inside the oil filler on a type 1, an internal pipe wrench from the local plumbing supply store will do the job.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

As a backyard mechanic I had a hammer with a straight (no hook) nail pulling tang that fit perfect in that groove on the nut that holds on the oil filter. you could push down on the hammer face and the handle provided enough leverage to brake loose the nut so you can spin that nut out. It’s worth a try.
It worked better if the fan Shroud was off.

https://images1.mcmaster.com/mvB/contents/gfx/small/5874ac2s.png?ver=1281104292

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Target wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Target wrote:

Any pro tips?

Stick an appropriately sized drift in one of the holes to get the side to side alignment as close as you can and then raise and lower the engine a bit until you can get a bolt threaded into the other side. If you haven't pulled the starter, then pulling it and getting it out of the way is helpful. The original bolts were slightly tapered on the end to help them get started, you might try to duplicate this if yours are not tapered.
WestySteff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello, I've got a 1973 T2B Westfalia

Where can I get a new o-ring, seal or whatever it is called for my handpump to work. I have a unit similar to the one pictured below. My old one have disintegrated - making the pump not pump. I tried to enlarge the seal by using plenty plumbing tape, that only worked very briefly as I suspected.

Thanks for all help Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

WestySteff wrote:
Hello, I've got a 1973 T2B Westfalia

Where can I get a new o-ring, seal or whatever it is called for my handpump to work. I have a unit similar to the one pictured below. My old one have disintegrated - making the pump not pump. I tried to enlarge the seal by using plenty plumbing tape, that only worked very briefly as I suspected.

Thanks for all help Smile
]

Try a hardware store, or a shop that sells hydraulic hoses.
Good luck
Tcash
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:
ewdb92 wrote:
Volswagon wrote:
Someplaces Armour-All is not your friend. Dashboard, steering wheel, gear-shift, pedals and seats come to mind.

And floormats!! Oh, that was interesting!

Brings to mind a funny story. My grandmother always used Pledge on their Buick station wagon seats. One day my grandfather hit the brakes and his mother-in law slid right to the floor! (pre-seatbelt days) She also used it on the wooden steps leading to their basement Shocked

My husband armour-alled the seats in my '75 one time. He won't do that again.

Friend of mine armoalled the seat of a Ninja crotch rocket- slid off the seat and rotated the throttle at the same time. From then on he was called "little rocket man"

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Friend of mine armoalled the seat of a Ninja crotch rocket- slid off the seat and rotated the throttle at the same time. From then on he was called "little rocket man"

Ooooo... that sounds painful.
It would be fun to watch, but painful to experience. Cool

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

First, I'm looking for a source for a drag link puller for the steering - not sure what kind of puller will work. I followed some old forum links to tool warehouse.net, but not sure of the size I need.

Second, does anyone know a source for the heat dump hose that runs by the right side valve cover (1979 Cali 2.0 FI original engine)?

Third and last... Looking for high quality vacuum lines (the larger ones). GeeBee on here apparently doesn't have them anymore.

Thanks everyone in advance for the help!

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cv66seabear wrote:
First, I'm looking for a source for a drag link puller for the steering - not sure what kind of puller will work. I followed some old forum links to tool warehouse.net, but not sure of the size I need.

I found a thread in the Split bus Forum but the link was bad now on toolwarehouse.net

Here's a new link
https://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/otc-tools-equipment-7315a-P28145.aspx

I also found this tool mentioned elsewhere
https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-27276-Tie-Rod-Remover/dp/B01MZBL8MO
Apparently they have it at Autozone too, both for rent or to buy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenfolk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Quote:

I went to the FLAPS and borrowed, rented their puller kit. It had numerous pullers to choose from. I made one of them work. Basically, you pay for it. When you bring it back, they reimburse your money. Sweet deal.
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Everett and Kenfolk! I hadn't thought of borrowing it, figured I'd need one every now and then.
Thanks again,
Kent

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 369, 370, 371 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 370 of 515

Jump to: