Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 370, 371, 372 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is this the original tank for a 77? I was expecting a bare metal tank. Maybe that's just aftermarket tanks that are bare metal?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:
Is this the original tank for a 77? I was expecting a bare metal tank. Maybe that's just aftermarket tanks that are bare metal?

Painted on the outside, bare on the inside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Found the thread about heater dump tubes.

Anyone know of a source for Jalousie window screws?
TIA,
Kent

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What is the diameter of the bus steering wheel? My bus has a beetle steering wheel with the horn ring and it just doesn't feel right. When I make a u-turn I do it gently because it feels like the wheel will snap off so I'd like to get the correct size.

Thank you

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

17 inches
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does the pilot bearing go in with the thicker end with the writing facing out towards the clutch?

No felt washer came out with the old bearing. Does it need one? Can I make one? Does it go in before I install the pilot bearing?

77 Westy 2.0

Edited to include this picture. This is from one of my manuals. The spacer and felt washer was missing. Do I order these or can I fabricate something? I don't think there is room for a spacer. The pilot bearing sits flush with the crank.

Last edited by Mispeld on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm slowly chugging away at a wiring fiasco and I'm having trouble verifying specifically where things attach. Three (hopefully quick) questions.

There are about 8 cut wires in the engine compartment. Previous owner mutilated a bunch of it installing an electric fuel pump.

One of the issues are the loose wires coming from/directed toward the voltage regulator. As well as some electrical rectangular piece that I can't verify it's name or usage that attaches above the regulator.

There's a heavy gauge red wire coming from the alternator. Just red. From what I'm reading, that goes to the positive side of the battery. Yes?

The other issue I'm having is there is a red with black stripe wiring coming from the starter that's not connected to anything. And a cut red with white stripe on the positive lead of the battery that's cut almost flush.

Thanks fellas.

*Edit* Relocated the red with black stripe wire to the top point on the starter and it kicks over. Found some relevant posts here with that answer. Still having trouble with the others.

Last edited by Target on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:
Does the pilot bearing go in with the thicker end with the writing facing out towards the clutch?

No felt washer came out with the old bearing. Does it need one? Can I make one? Does it go in before I install the pilot bearing?

77 Westy 2.0

Edited to include this picture. This is from one of my manuals. The spacer and felt washer was missing. Do I order these or can I fabricate something? I don't think there is room for a spacer. The pilot bearing sits flush with the crank.

It would be better to keep everything in your clutch thread. So you can keep it together and we know where you r on the clutch job.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8794416#8794416
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:

77 Westy 2.0

Yes you need the felt ring and the retainer (spacer) they keep the grease in the bearing and the dust out. You can also chose to use a "diesel" style pilot bearing, easy mod. Do a search.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:
I'm slowly chugging away at a wiring fiasco and I'm having trouble verifying specifically where things attach. Three (hopefully quick) questions.

There are about 8 cut wires in the engine compartment. Previous owner mutilated a bunch of it installing an electric fuel pump.

One of the issues are the loose wires coming from/directed toward the voltage regulator. As well as some electrical rectangular piece that I can't verify it's name or usage that attaches above the regulator.

There's a heavy gauge red wire coming from the alternator. Just red. From what I'm reading, that goes to the positive side of the battery. Yes?

The other issue I'm having is there is a red with black stripe wiring coming from the starter that's not connected to anything. And a cut red with white stripe on the positive lead of the battery that's cut almost flush.

Thanks fellas.

*Edit* Relocated the red with black stripe wire to the top point on the starter and it kicks over. Found some relevant posts here with that answer. Still having trouble with the others.

I think the wire coming from the regulator with the spade is likely for the fuel gauge. But here are the wiring diagrams.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

Do you own a Bentley manual yet?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

I think the wire coming from the regulator with the spade is likely for the fuel gauge. But here are the wiring diagrams.

Yeah, I do. I've been over the diagrams many, many times and I've had some success piecing it together. But I'm finding original wires with tracers that don't match the diagrams. Or it has labels for certain components but no images or descriptions, which makes it less useful than it should be.

I'm able to kick over the motor and the fuel gauge bounces to empty when I do. Pretty sure that's all wired correctly. It's gotta be something else.

I'm tempted to make my own thread to sort this nonsense. I'm having trouble determining which wires are for the factory diagnostic plugs and why I have a thicker gauge red, melted, hot wire (without key) in the engine compartment.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Yeah, I do. I've been over the diagrams many, many times and I've had some success piecing it together. But I'm finding original wires with tracers that don't match the diagrams. Or it has labels for certain components but no images or descriptions, which makes it less useful than it should be.

I'm able to kick over the motor and the fuel gauge bounces to empty when I do. Pretty sure that's all wired correctly. It's gotta be something else.

I'm tempted to make my own thread to sort this nonsense. I'm having trouble determining which wires are for the factory diagnostic plugs and why I have a thicker gauge red, melted, hot wire (without key) in the engine compartment.

The extra wire coming off your regulator is probably for your charge light, there should be a blue wire it mates with somewhere. The wire with the spade coming out of the alternator harness is probably for the factory diagnostic setup, it may have unfused 12v on it so it should be taped to keep it from shorting out as it can do some real damage if it does.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Target wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

The extra wire coming off your regulator is probably for your charge light, there should be a blue wire it mates with somewhere. The wire with the spade coming out of the alternator harness is probably for the factory diagnostic setup, it may have unfused 12v on it so it should be taped to keep it from shorting out as it can do some real damage if it does.

The black wire in the alternator harness is test network terminal #14, tape it up, it's live all the time and unfused.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jack-o-van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

[quote="Spike0180"]
Target wrote:

That thing above the voltage regulator is probably a relay wired in by a PO to decrease resistance to the starter. Muir recommended doing that in the bus, at least, as they get older. Is the red wire from the doohickey the same red wire going to the starter terminal?

-Jack
Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

busdaddy wrote:

The black wire in the alternator harness is test network terminal #14, tape it up, it's live all the time and unfused.

I appreciate the help untangling this mess. I'll do some digging for a blue wire that mates to the one from the plug. This is the only one I can think of but the diagram and some other photos make me think something is missing in the sequence. Another plug of sorts. Thoughts?

jack-o-van wrote:

That thing above the voltage regulator is probably a relay wired in by a PO to decrease resistance to the starter. Muir recommended doing that in the bus, at least, as they get older. Is the red wire from the doohickey the same red wire going to the starter terminal?

-Jack

That seems plausible. I'll put that on the back burner until I can get her to fire. Starter cranks so I don't want to meddle if it's not broken.

The problematic melted red wire runs the length of the car to behind the dash through the rubber boot under the car. Could be part of ignition but the motor does turn.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The connector and blue wires in your hand in the top picture is the wire going to your charge light, while the melted red wire is part of the #30 (B+) circuit which has power all the time and is likely unfused being that it got too hot.

Any wire with power on it should have fully insulated connections. Bare connections are a fire waiting to happen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LND-2-Blue-GTN-Spade-Crim...0863977132

The bundle with the burnt up red wire is shown in Current Tracks 4 & 5 of this drawing.

Double Click to Enlarge

Note that the red wire should only go to the starter so the red wire you are seeing near the dash is another one.

Target
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The connector and blue wires in your hand in the top picture is the wire going to your charge light, while the melted red wire is part of the #30 (B+) circuit which has power all the time and is likely unfused being that it got too hot.

Any wire with power on it should have fully insulated connections. Bare connections are a fire waiting to happen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LND-2-Blue-GTN-Spade-Crim...0863977132

The bundle with the burnt up red wire is shown in Current Tracks 4 & 5 of this drawing.

Double Click to Enlarge

Note that the red wire should only go to the starter so the red wire you are seeing near the dash is another one.

Correct me if I'm reading this wrong.

So I'm looking at the power to the heater relay, that's missing a fuse, and a good portion of wire? So J14 and S25? And this red wire is COMING from the starter through the firewall? It's powered somehow and the starter cranks.

Proooobably worth yanking that wire individually and replacing instead of fixing it. With insulated blade connectors. Putting a lot of work into this bus and I'd prefer it not burn to the ground.
jack-o-van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

do you have another red wire going to the generator?
I will probably be seen as an asshole for this comment.....but thats fine because I am an asshole.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Target wrote:
It's powered somehow and the starter cranks..

No, the starter terminal is used as a junction for all the live wires that need to be powered by the battery (production line convenience), that terminal on the starter remains live all the time, when you turn the key the internal solenoid connects it to the other large terminal and the starter cranks.
The fan needs constant power via that red wire and fuse, when you select heat the relay on the fan closes and powers the fan motor.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I was helping a friend of mine timing his 73 type 4 1700cc bus solex dual carb. All vacuum lines are new and smog pump removed and plugged, valves adjusted, and points are new and gaped correctly. This bus had been running great up until recently. He said he could not time the bus to the timing mark on the timing scale without stalling the motor. The distributor had recently been "rebuilt" and I feel like everything else in the ignition system is correct. The distributor is not working correctly I assume. If you advance the distributor it holds a higher idle but sputters and back fires. Any thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 370, 371, 372 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 371 of 515

Jump to: