Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 380, 381, 382 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I’m thinking of painting my 1971 Bus L87 Pearl White. But I wanted some advice. Is there a brand of paint that’s really excellent for this color on VW’s? I’ve read a lot of threads about the color.

But I have not yet seen anyone recommend different brands or manufacturers that produce an excellent L87?

Recommendations please?

-Brother Chuck

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle
1971 VW Bus (Currently under restoration)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Here is the title of a Classified listing in The Samba:
"1977 California Riviera Camper Smog Exempt".

That's a good trick if you can exempt a '77 from smog requirements in CA.
Where do I apply for one of those exemptions? Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2184348

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Shocked Maybe DMV went with the date of manufacture - which may have put it in a 1975 category Shocked ????

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

double tap

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=

Last edited by Volswagon on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

The ad title has been changed to 1976. The DOM is 3/76. ????
A/C probably doesn't work either.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:
KentPS wrote:

The ad title has been changed to 1976. The DOM is 3/76. ????
A/C probably doesn't work either.

Maybe he can back-date the DOM a year too. Cool

If I were the seller, I would be concerned about liability. If someone purchased it assuming no smog certificate was required, they would be looking for someone to pay for any required smog modifications.

I (ignorantly, I admit) bought a '76 not knowing the Calif smog laws. And it cost me around $1600 in parts alone to get it to pass. But since it was due to my ignorance and not the sellers disclosure, it was my responsibility.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

recently I change to synthetic oil, and now I see I am leaking out of the plastic piece that holds the oil filler cap. It leaks down the tube and onto the driveway. I believe it is leaking between the plastic and metal tube joint. I removed and inspected, and it is in good shape, and seated correctly. it there a gasket that is supposed to be in there? the clip only? I guess I may have a hole on the metal tube where it is right up close to the muffler, but I cant see one.
Or is the oil doing something splashy in there that is making it come up the tube where it didn't before?
Clemmie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I just bought a '73 Campmobile and wanted to introduce myself. I really like the camaraderie and the way you all support each other. It makes me feel proud to be a new, old VW owner.

I've read the forum rules and downloaded the manuals. Searching this site has answered most of my questions already - you people have a LOT of knowledge and experience. I bought a copy of How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive and I have access to my father's tools.

I don't know much about motors or old cars in general so I have a lot to learn. My goal is to keep Clementine roadworthy and take good care of her.

So...here's my stupid question for anyone who lives in Virginia: If I'm reading the VA State Police website correctly, vehicles manufactured after 1972 must have the pollution control system intact. Clem had some kind of smog device that was removed. I've been reading various threads on this site and it appears that she is not a California vehicle - does that matter? Do I have to reinstall this device to pass inspection? Part of my problem researching this is that I'm not sure what the device is called. The motor is a dual carb, 1700cc, if that helps.

I'd be grateful if someone could point me to the right information; at this point, I'm at a loss.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
recently I change to synthetic oil, and now I see I am leaking out of the plastic piece that holds the oil filler cap. It leaks down the tube and onto the driveway. I believe it is leaking between the plastic and metal tube joint. I removed and inspected, and it is in good shape, and seated correctly. it there a gasket that is supposed to be in there? the clip only? I guess I may have a hole on the metal tube where it is right up close to the muffler, but I cant see one.
Or is the oil doing something splashy in there that is making it come up the tube where it didn't before?

Do you have pictures? What plastic piece that holds the oil filler cap? I use synthetic, it shouldn't cause oil leaks.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
alman72 wrote:

Do you have pictures? What plastic piece that holds the oil filler cap? I use synthetic, it shouldn't cause oil leaks.

I seem to recall an O ring buried in there, or is 12a the clamp?, if there's no place for a ring a little RTV on the tube before the funnel goes on should help, no need to drown it, just a light smear will do.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
alman72 wrote:

crap crap crap. Type 4 sorry all
this, leaking under the clamp. It is really moving around in there, because I was leaking from my chipped up cap too, but swapped it with a spare. still leaking around the clamp., but only about half the size of the leak now
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
alman72 wrote:

I seem to recall an O ring buried in there, or is 12a the clamp?, if there's no place for a ring a little RTV on the tube before the funnel goes on should help, no need to drown it, just a light smear will do.

nice image! I wonder what an o-ring would do, due to the notches on 25 tube where it mates to 31....unless it goes OVER 25, down past the notches. (I really mean the notches, not the clamp seating rings.)
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

[quote="alman72"][quote="Spike0180"]
alman72 wrote:

crap crap crap. Type 4 sorry all
this, leaking under the clamp. It is really moving around in there, because I was leaking from my chipped up cap too, but swapped it with a spare. still leaking around the clamp., but only about half the size of the leak now

I have a regular hose clamp on mine and it doesn't leak.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I am worried that something else is going on to send oil that high up while running.
If john smith removed that while running, would oil slosh out? (I don't think that this is advisable to check due to oil pressure, or lack of due to opening system?)
WestySteff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello

Managed to install a injection fuel pump onto my carbourated type 4 engine, turned it over for approx 10 seconds in total two times before I saw fuel coming out of the fuel filter and realised that it was completely wrong, and 10 times stronger. Haven't received the proper fuel pump in the mail yet. Any chances that i've damaged my carb?

Thanks,
Steffen
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

WestySteff wrote:
Hello

Managed to install a injection fuel pump onto my carbourated type 4 engine, turned it over for approx 10 seconds in total two times before I saw fuel coming out of the fuel filter and realised that it was completely wrong, and 10 times stronger. Haven't received the proper fuel pump in the mail yet. Any chances that i've damaged my carb?

Thanks,
Steffen

Not likely, but you may have to change the oil if it's diluted with gas.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
WestySteff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Whooh thankfully, it’s due for an oil change anyways so I was gonna change it after fitting the pump. Thank you!
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: One Rear Wheel 'Drive' Reply with quote

SQ 1. Is only one rear wheel supposed to drive the bus?

SQ 2. If both rear wheels are supposed to drive the bus, how would I test that just one rear wheel works, or that both rear wheels power the bus?

Background: 1978 VW Westy, 2.0 - 4 speed forward.

Story: two weekends ago I got stuck in the mud at a campout. About -3- times stuck, teams of helpers get me going each time, but I noticed each time that my right rear tire, spinning, dug a hole in the mud, but my left rear tire did not spin at all.

Also, I did have the right rear wheel CV joint come loose from the right wheel a while back. Three of the bolts got lost, and three remaining bolts backed off to a point where they gave way under slight acceleration from a dead stop, causing the right axle to separate from the wheel. This bent the three bolts, so that they could not come out.

All 24 CV bolts were replaced with new, and the left side had no discernible looseness. This was after 5K miles on complete rear end rework. (Bolts were initially incorrectly torqued to 24 ft/lbs vice 35 ft/lbs)

So I am asking these two questions:

SQ 2. If both rear wheels are supposed to drive the bus, how would I test that just one rear wheel works, or that both rear wheels power the bus?

Barry sends
'78 Westy ... purchased 11 Dec 06 ($9,000); sand blasted/primered 7 Jan 07 ($1,200); body shop 3 Apr 07 ($2,000); paint shop 7 Nov 07 ($6,000); home 22 Apr 08; started TLC 28 Aug 08; got very first sign of life 8 Jun 2010; Run about 1,000 miles in Florida in May 2011; 1,600 miles road trip Orlando-Key West-Aldie Virginia 10-26 Mar 2020 (COVID-19 started)

Thanks for all the fish.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: One Rear Wheel 'Drive' Reply with quote

honeybus wrote:

Background: 1978 VW Westy, 2.0 - 4 speed forward.

Story: two weekends ago I got stuck in the mud at a campout. About -3- times stuck, teams of helpers get me going each time, but I noticed each time that my right rear tire, spinning, dug a hole in the mud, but my left rear tire did not spin at all.

Also, I did have the right rear wheel CV joint come loose from the right wheel a while back. Three of the bolts got lost, and three remaining bolts backed off to a point where they gave way under slight acceleration from a dead stop, causing the right axle to separate from the wheel. This bent the three bolts, so that they could not come out.

All 24 CV bolts were replaced with new, and the left side had no discernible looseness. This was after 5K miles on complete rear end rework. (Bolts were initially incorrectly torqued to 24 ft/lbs vice 35 ft/lbs)

So I am asking these two questions:

Barry sends

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_(mechanical_device)

Слава Україні!
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is it ok to lift the rear with a jack under the mustache bar?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 380, 381, 382 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 381 of 515

Jump to: