Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 382, 383, 384 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

70-71 would be the closest fit, 72 could be adapted with minimal drama, 68-69 would also work if it's just that section you are replacing and stay in front of the beam.

Thanks, busdaddy. The donor piece is from a '68 and AFAIK the damage ends around 12" from the front so we should be good to go.
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi everyone, I just bought a '73 Campmobile and wanted to introduce myself. I really like the camaraderie and the way you all support each other. It makes me feel proud to be a new, old VW owner.

I've read the forum rules and downloaded the manuals. Searching this site has answered most of my questions already - you people have a LOT of knowledge and experience. I bought a copy of How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive and I have access to my father's tools.

I don't know much about motors or old cars in general so I have a lot to learn. My goal is to keep Clementine roadworthy and take good care of her.

So...here's my stupid question for anyone who lives in Virginia: If I'm reading the VA State Police website correctly, vehicles manufactured after 1972 must have the pollution control system intact. Clem had some kind of smog device that was removed. I've been reading various threads on this site and it appears that she is not a California vehicle - does that matter? Do I have to reinstall this device to pass inspection? Part of my problem researching this is that I'm not sure what the device is called. The motor is a dual carb, 1700cc, if that helps.

I'd be grateful if someone could point me to the right information; at this point, I'm at a loss

Welcome. You may want to try posting in Bay Window Bus forum.

If there is no emissions diagram sticker on the Bus you might plead ignorance and see if the Commonwealth picks up on the lack of controls. Or you could do the easy stuff like cold air hose to the air filter, crankcase vent and evaporative emissions etc. and let them tell you what's missing and deal with it from there.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/73emissions.php

08/1970 T2a Westphalia owned since 1980

ASE Master certification. 50 years pushing a wrench
Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi everyone, I just bought a '73 Campmobile and wanted to introduce myself. I really like the camaraderie and the way you all support each other. It makes me feel proud to be a new, old VW owner.

I've read the forum rules and downloaded the manuals. Searching this site has answered most of my questions already - you people have a LOT of knowledge and experience. I bought a copy of How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive and I have access to my father's tools.

I don't know much about motors or old cars in general so I have a lot to learn. My goal is to keep Clementine roadworthy and take good care of her.

So...here's my stupid question for anyone who lives in Virginia: If I'm reading the VA State Police website correctly, vehicles manufactured after 1972 must have the pollution control system intact. Clem had some kind of smog device that was removed. I've been reading various threads on this site and it appears that she is not a California vehicle - does that matter? Do I have to reinstall this device to pass inspection? Part of my problem researching this is that I'm not sure what the device is called. The motor is a dual carb, 1700cc, if that helps.

I'd be grateful if someone could point me to the right information; at this point, I'm at a loss

Welcome. You may want to try posting in Bay Window Bus forum.

If there is no emissions diagram sticker on the Bus you might plead ignorance and see if the Commonwealth picks up on the lack of controls. Or you could do the easy stuff like cold air hose to the air filter, crankcase vent and evaporative emissions etc. and let them tell you what's missing and deal with it from there.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/73emissions.php

08/1970 T2a Westphalia owned since 1980

ASE Master certification. 50 years pushing a wrench
Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My stupid window seal question:

We are trying to install a rear driver's side window (full glass, no vent).
I got new seals from Bus Depot.
We tried for over an hour last night to just get the seal on the glass. SO far, I'd say it is 25% on the glass ( only the two short ends.) The 'slit' to insert the glass in is so tight that it won't even go in. I could barely even get my fingers to open it up. We tried lubing up the seal and really no luck.

We've put in several windows before and never ran into this issue.
The search function did me no good - so I'm forced to be stupid in public.

Keep trying?
bad seal?
idiot installers?

thanks
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

well - we did it (installed the windows as per above).

Patience
Brute Strength
Lots of lube
spk5063
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Has anyone ever brought a compression tester to conduct the test on a bus they are looking at to purchase?

Is this overkill? From what I'm thinking it's pretty reasonable but a little awkward to do, IDK. What have your experiences been?

I love stupid questions javascript:emoticon('Razz')
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

spk5063 wrote:
Has anyone ever brought a compression tester to conduct the test on a bus they are looking at to purchase?

Is this overkill? From what I'm thinking it's pretty reasonable but a little awkward to do, IDK. What have your experiences been?

I love stupid questions javascript:emoticon('Razz')

A compression test is certainly a good idea. Remember you need a well charged battery and a hot engine to do a good test. All plugs removed and the throttle blocked open.

You don't want to pay much for any vehicle that will not run well enough to test drive. If any one thing is bad enough that it can't be driven assume lots and lots of expensive things aren't going to work.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

the seller may want his mechanic to do the test for you,
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is Tom Hanks old bus, apparently, and is up for sale in the classifieds right now.

Note the wheels. Are they wider than usual?

They certainly look wider than stock to me, or the offset is wrong/different from stock.

Would you widen a bus rim to help accommodate a different tire for some reason?

Side note - why black bumper bolt covers? They make them in white. I imagine that would look better.
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

They are probably Mercedes wheels. They fit the same bolt pattern.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

wihr wrote:
They are probably Mercedes wheels. They fit the same bolt pattern.

WW

and fit the stock hubcaps?
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I don't know. I have a 70 with the wide five pattern. The wheels on my Mercedes do have a slight ridge outside of the bolt pattern. It possibly could hold a hub cap.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

In this post it mentions an exhaust stud. Where are these studs used and how many are there? Are they what's used on the crossover pipe?

Tcash wrote:
Muffler, Exhaust and Heater 1975-1978

Some items shown in the next two pictures are becoming VERY difficult to obtain in good used, much less new. The manifolds and pipes are long ago discontinued items. Did you know that many Bus owners are now retro-fitting the 72-74 Bus exhaust system to their 75-78's? A very workable retro-fit. Just be sure to use the 039-256-251 Copper Exhaust Gaskets from the Head to the Heater Box Manifold Pipes for proper sealing. For more info, go to the Exhaust - Muffler & Heater 1972-1974 Section for all of the necessary parts listings. In addition, the Heater Control Flap/Boxes on the 72-74 are the same as your 75-78, so you don't have to replace these.
Note: This retro-fit is NOT legal for street use, especially in areas of the US that still have periodic emission-control (smog) checks, especially those requiring the installation of the Catalytic Converter. Check with Local Laws first before performing this retro-fit.

Muffler & Tailpipe
Ref. Part Number Description
A. 071-251-053C Muffler
B. 021-251-521 Muffler Strap
C. 021-251-541 Connecting Pipe From Elbow To Muffler
Note: This pipe is only used on 75-78 models NOT originally
equipped with a Catalytic Converter.
Not Legal For Street Use On Models Originally Equipped
With Catalytic Converter.
Not Legal For Street Use On California Models 75-78.
D. 021-251-185F Tailpipe
E. 023-298-051 Exhaust Donut/Clamp Kit - Connects Pipe or Converter to Muffler
F. 025-251-235 Gasket Only, Tailpipe

Manifolds & Heater System
A. 021-251-551 Exhaust Manifold, Left
B. 021-251-552 Exhaust Manifold, Right
C. 039-256-251 Copper Gasket, Manifold to Head, 1800 1975, 2000 76-78
D. 043-251-509 Exhaust Triangle Gasket
E. 021-251-201 Exhaust "Afterburner" Pipe, Left or Right Side
F. 021-256-091T Heater Box, Left
G. 021-256-092T Heater Box, Right
H. 021-251-501 Exhaust Crossover Pipe With PreHeat Tube 75-Mid 76
To VIN 2x6 2070 000
J. 021-251-501A Exhaust Crossover Pipe Mid 76-78
From VIN 2x6 2070 001
K. 021-251-531 Exhaust Elbow
L. 070-251-235 Gasket, Elbow to Crossover Pipe
M. 021-256-205K or L Heater Control/Flap Box, Left
M. 021-256-206K or L Heater Control/Flap Box, Right
N. 311-129-777 Swivel Pin/Clamp, Heater Cable
P. N 014 684 1 Stud, Exhaust Port (Special 8x9x56)

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'll answer my own question. The studs are on the cylinders where the exhaust connects.

ivwshane wrote:
In this post it mentions an exhaust stud. Where are these studs used and how many are there? Are they what's used on the crossover pipe?

Tcash wrote:
Muffler, Exhaust and Heater 1975-1978

Some items shown in the next two pictures are becoming VERY difficult to obtain in good used, much less new. The manifolds and pipes are long ago discontinued items. Did you know that many Bus owners are now retro-fitting the 72-74 Bus exhaust system to their 75-78's? A very workable retro-fit. Just be sure to use the 039-256-251 Copper Exhaust Gaskets from the Head to the Heater Box Manifold Pipes for proper sealing. For more info, go to the Exhaust - Muffler & Heater 1972-1974 Section for all of the necessary parts listings. In addition, the Heater Control Flap/Boxes on the 72-74 are the same as your 75-78, so you don't have to replace these.
Note: This retro-fit is NOT legal for street use, especially in areas of the US that still have periodic emission-control (smog) checks, especially those requiring the installation of the Catalytic Converter. Check with Local Laws first before performing this retro-fit.

Muffler & Tailpipe
A. 071-251-053C Muffler
B. 021-251-521 Muffler Strap
C. 021-251-541 Connecting Pipe From Elbow To Muffler
Note: This pipe is only used on 75-78 models NOT originally
equipped with a Catalytic Converter.
Not Legal For Street Use On Models Originally Equipped
With Catalytic Converter.
Not Legal For Street Use On California Models 75-78.
D. 021-251-185F Tailpipe
E. 023-298-051 Exhaust Donut/Clamp Kit - Connects Pipe or Converter to Muffler
F. 025-251-235 Gasket Only, Tailpipe

Manifolds & Heater System
A. 021-251-551 Exhaust Manifold, Left
B. 021-251-552 Exhaust Manifold, Right
C. 039-256-251 Copper Gasket, Manifold to Head, 1800 1975, 2000 76-78
D. 043-251-509 Exhaust Triangle Gasket
E. 021-251-201 Exhaust "Afterburner" Pipe, Left or Right Side
F. 021-256-091T Heater Box, Left
G. 021-256-092T Heater Box, Right
H. 021-251-501 Exhaust Crossover Pipe With PreHeat Tube 75-Mid 76
To VIN 2x6 2070 000
J. 021-251-501A Exhaust Crossover Pipe Mid 76-78
From VIN 2x6 2070 001
K. 021-251-531 Exhaust Elbow
L. 070-251-235 Gasket, Elbow to Crossover Pipe
M. 021-256-205K or L Heater Control/Flap Box, Left
M. 021-256-206K or L Heater Control/Flap Box, Right
N. 311-129-777 Swivel Pin/Clamp, Heater Cable
P. N 014 684 1 Stud, Exhaust Port (Special 8x9x56)

tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is there a cheat sheet for what you should check before you drive your bus? Oil level, tire pressure and the like? I'd like to have one laminated in my glove box, but I'm not sure how many things would need to be checked daily, weekly, monthly?

I tried searching, but after forty-five minutes, I came up empty.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

tonysantacruz wrote:
Is there a cheat sheet for what you should check before you drive your bus? Oil level, tire pressure and the like? I'd like to have one laminated in my glove box, but I'm not sure how many things would need to be checked daily, weekly, monthly?

I tried searching, but after forty-five minutes, I came up empty.

It's not a cheat sheet, but one can be made from its information...
Download the owner's manual for your year from the "Technical" section. All maintenance is referenced in it.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

79 Bus. Canyon Brown interior. Correct color front kick panels -

Black or brown?
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:

This is Tom Hanks old bus, apparently, and is up for sale in the classifieds right now.

Note the wheels. Are they wider than usual?

They certainly look wider than stock to me, or the offset is wrong/different from stock.

Would you widen a bus rim to help accommodate a different tire for some reason?

Side note - why black bumper bolt covers? They make them in white. I imagine that would look better.

there's definitely something different about those wheels. like a bee in my bonnet, what the heck...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:

there's definitely something different about those wheels. like a bee in my bonnet, what the heck...

Low profile tires on a jacked up bus?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:

Low profile tires on a jacked up bus?

Look like widened rims from here.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 382, 383, 384 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 383 of 515

Jump to: