Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 387, 388, 389 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
I would argue that the number of hose to tube joints in the fuel system corresponds to fire risk more closely than the length of hoses.

Under the assumption that more fuel leaking is happening at the hose clamp connections Vs frayed/split/cracked hoses somewhere along the length of hose?

The failures ive found thus far have all been little cracks along the line of the hose and not at the clamping position, but I don't have a large enough sample set to pull from to make a guess one way or the other.

I've encountered more split hoses than leaks at joints, minimizing the amount of rubber involved seems logical to me even if it involves more clamps.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
I would argue that the number of hose to tube joints in the fuel system corresponds to fire risk more closely than the length of hoses.

Under the assumption that more fuel leaking is happening at the hose clamp connections Vs frayed/split/cracked hoses somewhere along the length of hose?

The failures ive found thus far have all been little cracks along the line of the hose and not at the clamping position, but I don't have a large enough sample set to pull from to make a guess one way or the other.

I've encountered more split hoses than leaks at joints, minimizing the amount of rubber involved seems logical to me even if it involves more clamps.

I personally have never had a hose split because I have always replaced them before they became dangerous, I can remember paying $11/ft for fuel injection hose twenty plus years ago because I was about the only person who actually felt it was necessary to replace such. Also have never had one on my own rigs abrade badly because I route hoses with great care and make liberal use of wire ties.

As far as I know watercooled Vanagons have less problems with hoses than Bays do and they do the long runs in the engine compartment with hose and not tubing.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Buried inside one of the Samba threads, I saw a great interior LED lighting option...

Someone had taken the small ceiling panel off that the fluorescent light attaches to, and replaced the panel with a translucent plastic panel with LED strip lighting mounted inside.

But I can't find that thread and would like to do that upgrade. Does anyone remember which Sambanista did this write up?

And speaking of upgrades from Samba postings, I did one recently...
A fellow Sambanista had purchased reflective tape and mounted in to the bottom edge of the engine lid, as well as the thin rear parts of the front and slider doors. That way, if you're broken down on the highway with any doors open, the tape will shine like a beacon.

It was such an inexpensive, simple and effective idea, I had to do it.
Thanks and kudos to whomever posted that idea. Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Quote:
That way, if you're broken down on the highway with any doors open

Kent,
Where's your faith?
Broken down on the highway?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Buried inside one of the Samba threads, I saw a great interior LED lighting option...

Someone had taken the small ceiling panel off that the fluorescent light attaches to, and replaced the panel with a translucent plastic panel with LED strip lighting mounted inside.

But I can't find that thread and would like to do that upgrade. Does anyone remember which Sambanista did this write up?

And speaking of upgrades from Samba postings, I did one recently...
A fellow Sambanista had purchased reflective tape and mounted in to the bottom edge of the engine lid, as well as the thin rear parts of the front and slider doors. That way, if you're broken down on the highway with any doors open, the tape will shine like a beacon.

It was such an inexpensive, simple and effective idea, I had to do it.
Thanks and kudos to whomever posted that idea. Dancing

Here you go!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8633144&highlight=#8633144
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks ivwshane! ….and BayCreamPuff! Such a cool idea. Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
danaaltieri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So this is my first post! I search posts for advice, but never ask for any! But, I am so stuck on a couple of stupid questions....I have a 1970 Westfalia Bus with a poptop. I am pretty resourceful, but I just cannot find (1) the cot/foam/bed or whatever you call it that goes up into the poptop for sleeping; and (2) the appolstered (or just foam piece) that goes in the rear deck to compete my bed when I lay down the rear seats.

Wow, this search has taken all day so I just gotta beg for some help! Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Dana
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

danaaltieri wrote:
So this is my first post! I search posts for advice, but never ask for any! But, I am so stuck on a couple of stupid questions....I have a 1970 Westfalia Bus with a poptop. I am pretty resourceful, but I just cannot find (1) the cot/foam/bed or whatever you call it that goes up into the poptop for sleeping; and (2) the appolstered (or just foam piece) that goes in the rear deck to compete my bed when I lay down the rear seats.

Wow, this search has taken all day so I just gotta beg for some help! Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Dana

Hi Dana, I'm also working on a '70 Westfalia so I've tracked down some of this stuff.

Here is the "Upper Bunk Cot" from BusDepot: http://www.busdepot.com/231101

As for the foam cushion for the back, there are a few available in the Classifieds: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1566075

But its something that could likely be made custom fairly easily.
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I haven't gone through this whole thread so this question may have been answered: I have to replace left/right front door handles on my '68 Camper Bus. The aftermarket door handles, with the same damn part number, are about 2 centimeters too short. The originals have one screw hole that is stripped, the other has no key/push button to open it. Do I need to find two original door handles instead to replace?
Also, even dumber question: how the hell do you open the sliding door from the inside when it's locked from the outside? Can you unlock from the inside?
I'm slowly losing my mind over this...Thanks guys!!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I haven't gone through this whole thread so this question may have been answered: I have to replace left/right front door handles on my '68 Camper Bus. The aftermarket door handles, with the same damn part number, are about 2 centimeters too short. The originals have one screw hole that is stripped, the other has no key/push button to open it. Do I need to find two original door handles instead to replace?
Also, even dumber question: how the hell do you open the sliding door from the inside when it's locked from the outside? Can you unlock from the inside?
I'm slowly losing my mind over this...Thanks guys!!

The front door handles: unsure, the 68 door handles may be a one year only... someone else will pitch in with that info.

Sliding door: The inner and outer locks are independent from each other. If it is locked from the outside, you can not unlock it from the inside, and vise versa.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Are your new handles the 68-only “push button” type like this? If not, they’ll need to be.

https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/door-handles-w-matched-keys-pair/

If your slider is perfectly adjusted with all intact parts, it should open with an easy press down from outside, or a press FORWARD from inside. Once fullly open, the door will not release without an outside handle push down/inside handle pull forward. Once the door shuts, pull the outer handle UP/inner handle BACK until the door clicks into the “fully sealed” position. (Some people slam their door and achieve the second step. Having a window cracked will ease the need to slam.) The early bay sliding door needs to be fully shut for the internal lock to work. The external lock can be activated in any position, (which can also allow the slider to be locked in the open position!)

Edit: yeah Spike beat me to it!

Here is some inspiration for you Smile
Robbie

Link

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Are your new handles the 68-only “push button” type like this? If not, they’ll need to be.

https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/door-handles-w-matched-keys-pair/

If your slider is perfectly adjusted with all intact parts, it should open with an easy press down from outside, or a press FORWARD from inside. Once fullly open, the door will not release without an outside handle push down/inside handle pull forward. Once the door shuts, pull the outer handle UP/inner handle BACK until the door clicks into the “fully sealed” position. (Some people slam their door and achieve the second step. Having a window cracked will ease the need to slam.) The early bay sliding door needs to be fully shut for the internal lock to work. The external lock can be activated in any position, (which can also allow the slider to be locked in the open position!)

Edit: yeah Spike beat me to it!

Robbie

Link

Link

They are the push button, with keys. Same part number. When I do try to put the original back on, the handles get stuck. I'm wondering if the handles were wanky to begin with. I'm fearful I'll have to take everything apart and rebuild the entire door handle/lock system but I shouldn't have to do that right?
Oh the joys of VW's!!
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

That video of the slider opening is so satisfying. Applause
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

advCo wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

That video of the slider opening is so satisfying. Applause

Right? 7 seconds of unbridled education.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Couldn't tell if that was sarcasm or not, but if you're seriously looking to make your slider nice, I would follow these two tutorials.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446743&highlight=door+refresh

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446358&highlight=door+refresh

Clean. Oil. Adjust. Cool
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Couldn't tell if that was sarcasm or not, but if you're seriously looking to make your slider nice, I would follow these two tutorials.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446743&highlight=door+refresh

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446358&highlight=door+refresh

Clean. Oil. Adjust. Cool
Robbie

Thanks Robbie!
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

lost one of my head washers

big DOH!!!

best I could find at hardware store....

tiny bit too shallow or high

thoughts?

best positon to install?

I know I know.... flame on

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

scubasteve321 wrote:
lost one of my head washers

big DOH!!!

best I could find at hardware store....

tiny bit too shallow or high

thoughts?

best positon to install?

I know I know.... flame on

Braze three of them together and you would be golden. You can get extra heavy flat washers from a place like Fastenal or just search the web.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Might try someone with a junk engine, they might give you one for postage. Or try the classified section here.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

A few months ago, there was a discussion inside a thread about front door seals.
Someone had purchased a pair from someplace in California.
They reported the fit was great, and the doors closed firmly without needing to be slammed.

Does anyone remember who posted that, and/or where they purchased the seals?
I'm getting tired of the flow-thru ventilation my doors are currently providing...

---WildIdea

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 387, 388, 389 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 388 of 515

Jump to: