Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 388, 389, 390 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
A few months ago, there was a discussion inside a thread about front door seals.
Someone had purchased a pair from someplace in California.
They reported the fit was great, and the doors closed firmly without needing to be slammed.

Does anyone remember who posted that, and/or where they purchased the seals?
I'm getting tired of the flow-thru ventilation my doors are currently providing...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678121&highlight=

Here ya go Kent

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
KentPS wrote:
A few months ago, there was a discussion inside a thread about front door seals.
Someone had purchased a pair from someplace in California.
They reported the fit was great, and the doors closed firmly without needing to be slammed.

Does anyone remember who posted that, and/or where they purchased the seals?
I'm getting tired of the flow-thru ventilation my doors are currently providing...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678121&highlight=

Here ya go Kent

That's the one!
Thanks once again, Bill. Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

This is my first stupid question of the new year... but not likely my last...

Are type 4 heads interchangeable between the right and left side?

The reason I ask is my current Craigslist engine has one tap for the TS2... but it's on the #2 cylinder.
If the heads are interchangeable, the tap could have been on the #3 as is standard.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Stock FI heads were interchangeable left to right except for the drilling for the TSII. It is not a big deal to modify the right head to work on the left side, you can also locate the TSII sensor on the #4 cylinder which will give better access.
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is there a thread that I am missing that lists/discusses known good parts and places to source them for full rebuilds?
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Trying to make it to Lake Havasu 20 minutes south of Medford Oregon

Bus started to run bogged down

go through checks

3 and 4 plugs very fouled

clean them up

pull off valve cover

vw shop that did valves may have not tightened because as you can see nut came off lol

furthermore on the exhaust number 3 cylinder there is still quite a bit gap, about a 1/4 inch between valve and adjuster..... double checked I am on 3 and not 1

finally, measured the studs as I noticed there were threads showing on the number 3 side but not number 4..... its a couple threads shorter...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Steve, do you have a question?

PM sent with my phone number, since you’re on the road somewhere.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

In planing for the future of my bus, I am considering another 5/112 wheel from VW, one with a 35mm offset vs the stock 39mm offset.

My question is, if I use a 4mm shim to fill the missing offset and have the centerline of the new wheels to match the position of the old ones, does that lessen or negate the issue of other sized wheel pressures on the wheel bearings causing uneven or overly damaging wear?

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

78BusGA wrote:
In planing for the future of my bus, I am considering another 5/112 wheel from VW, one with a 35mm offset vs the stock 39mm offset.

My question is, if I use a 4mm shim to fill the missing offset and have the centerline of the new wheels to match the position of the old ones, does that lessen or negate the issue of other sized wheel pressures on the wheel bearings causing uneven or overly damaging wear?

The 35mm offset wheel will stick out 4mm further than the 39mm offset wheels. A spacer/shim will make them stick out that much further. 4mm probably isn't enough to cause the tires to hit the wheel well lips, assuming the wheels are the same width.

As for bearing wear from the lower offset - I wouldn't worry about such a small difference causing much excess stress/wear on the bearings. Use high quality bearings and keep them properly lubricated, and they'll last as long as if you were running on stock-offset wheels.
Zonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have two questions
1.) shift rod, does this one look too bent to reuse? It dips in the middle but then comes back up, I'd rather replace it then do this job again.

2.) My Brosol 30/31 carb accelerator pump is REALLY close to this screw coming off the generator. Not sure if this is normal, perhaps I can clock the generator, I haven't taken it off yet. Just wondering if this is a thing with 30/31. Thanks!

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Your shift rod looks fine. New ones aren’t built as well.

Can we see a wide shot of your generator? There are eight positions it could be installed in, but only one is correct.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Robbie! Here is the only pic I have right now, I can get one when I get home.

This motor runs and I'm pretty sure the generator is working. What could happen if it's not clocked correctly? Shocked
Zonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok here's a pic of the generator

Is it installed correctly?
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Zonkey wrote:
Ok here's a pic of the generator

Is it installed correctly?

Mine is installed 90 deg clockwise from yours. The screw you have under the carb, should be at the top of the generator. However, you need to be careful if you rotate the generator because the backing plate has a vent that should always point down (towards the head).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I'll read Bentley about how to correctly install it tonight.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

ewdb92 wrote:
However, you need to be careful if you rotate the generator because the backing plate has a vent that should always point down (towards the head).

yup. when installed correctly, the vent will point downward toward the case (or upward if you really put it on wrong, see below) because of the way the tin is stamped and the way the mounting holes align on the generator studs.
When someone has the generator installed incorrectly, as shown in Zonkey's pic above, the vent is sticking off to the side.

improper tin installation, 180 degrees off:

Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jim Bear wrote:
Is there a thread that I am missing that lists/discusses known good parts and places to source them for full rebuilds?
Should have clarified a bit; this is for a '74 bus, stock rebuild. Also, central location for tips, suggestions, things to look for, etc. Just curious...
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jim Bear wrote:
Jim Bear wrote:
Should have clarified a bit; this is for a '74 bus, stock rebuild. Also, central location for tips, suggestions, things to look for, etc. Just curious...

There are a couple really nice write ups for mid 70’s type 4 engines, one spefically showing rebuilt and tuned original Solex PDSIT Dual carbs, let me see if I can track them down.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jim Bear wrote:
Jim Bear wrote:

It would be nice to have a carefully moderated thread listing vendors and what they offer that others might not. Maybe a project for Tcash.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

did late busses have (or option) a cig lighter? was it the same shape as the other knobs?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 388, 389, 390 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 389 of 515

Jump to: