Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 427, 428, 429 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lintbrush wrote:
Wondered if Westfalia removed factory installed headliners when doing the conversion? If so maybe they were empty, but with headliners?

Not if it was spec'd on the M plate for conversion before delivery to a dealer (what's your's say?), I've seen some that were brought to Westfalia for work after purchase, but those left the headliner in place as they had special cabinets designed for those jobs. The sheet metal part that vinyl is peeking out from under is only found on panelvans, Kombis and early Westfalias (any bus that didn't leave the factory with upholstery in the cargo area), it's a sound insulator and it's filled with fuzzy stuff.
Since the rivets securing it to the body aren't painted I suspect someone has had it off, maybe they put some old headliner scraps under it to stop a rattle?, the material looks like the 75+ stuff, not the perforated kind used in 1970.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My M-code shows as factory-prepared for Campmobile interior (M 517). I’ll take a closer look. It looked interesting since it’s neatly in-place and the same on both sides. Production date is September 17, 1970.

Under Exterior, the M-Code translator shows “Remarks: Westfalia” too.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

lintbrush wrote:
It looked interesting since it’s neatly in-place and the same on both sides.

They got painted after assembly back there, why isn't the exposed vinyl red?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I was thinking maybe there was a headliner that was in, but removed by Westfalia? Which didn’t make sense since I assumed VW would not have installed a headliner if it was headed over for campmobile conversion. I’ll see if I can remove it to get a better look.

busdaddy wrote:
lintbrush wrote:
It looked interesting since it’s neatly in-place and the same on both sides.

They got painted after assembly back there, why isn't the exposed vinyl red?

lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I see what you mean about the clean, unpainted rivets on both sides. I’m thinking you’re right that vinyl was used to shim and prevent rattling as it was riveted together? I was able to pull this out for a closer look.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

1979 bus has two holes rusted through in the battery trays, I know this is a common spot for rust due to the moisture and lead acid batteries.

What I'm wondering is will the engine still cool itself as it should or will the warm air come up through the holes that would otherwise be sealed off? The biggest hole is maybe 1-2 inches long right now.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

McintoshType2 wrote:
1979 bus has two holes rusted through in the battery trays, I know this is a common spot for rust due to the moisture and lead acid batteries.

What I'm wondering is will the engine still cool itself as it should or will the warm air come up through the holes that would otherwise be sealed off? The biggest hole is maybe 1-2 inches long right now.

It would be better if you sealed them up somehow, perhaps some thin sheet metal?, whatever you use make sure it doesn't trap moisture and can't end up in the fan.

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
McintoshType2 wrote:

It would be better if you sealed them up somehow, perhaps some thin sheet metal?, whatever you use make sure it doesn't trap moisture and can't end up in the fan.

Wire brush the loose rust away, top and underside of the tray, and then treat the questionable areas with something like Osphos that will convert the remaining rust and seal the metal. Then apply a layer of fiberglass and resin to the box running the glass up the sides of the box a bit. Be sure to cover the Osphos on the underside of the box with resin as well and clean up any drips. You can use multiple layers of glass where the holes are if you think it is necessary.

You of course will have to slit the fiberglass so it will fit over the stationary battery hold down and somehow plan in the hole for the hold down bolt. You can use balloons partially filled with sand to hold the glass down tight to the metal in the corners.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I got an early bay with the stock 5x205 rear drum brakes. Does anyone have experience with converting to either disc brakes or T1 drum brakes to reduce the track width? The goal of this obviously being to fit wheels that would normally touch the wheel arches. I'm prepared to do quite a lot of modifications/fabrication, but I need to stick with 205 PCD and also not cut the torsion housing to achieve the narrowing.
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

best way to remove old glue and headliner residue from the tintop, without damaging the metal?
adhesive removal and scrapers didn't seem effective at all.
nylon brush on the angle grinder does it but rips the paint off and makes a mess.
thanks!

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

maz-o wrote:
best way to remove old glue and headliner residue from the tintop, without damaging the metal?
adhesive removal and scrapers didn't seem effective at all.
nylon brush on the angle grinder does it but rips the paint off and makes a mess.
thanks!

Acetone worked removing carpet glue. I've also used Goof off with success.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have a "D" Pulley and am running an alternator. With the alternator belt and the belt looks too small as it sits pretty low on the alt pulley.

Anyone have this issue?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with it sitting low in the pulley as long as you have enough shims to be able to torque up the nut properly. The lower it is the faster the fan spins, what bus doesn't want a little bonus cooling?

Слава Україні!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Nothing wrong with it sitting low in the pulley as long as you have enough shims to be able to torque up the nut properly. The lower it is the faster the fan spins, what bus doesn't want a little bonus cooling?

Thanks, ill give it a whirl.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kabasue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Some one near by is selling a DZ code diesel vanagon transmission. Can I use it in my 73 if I swap out the bell housing, and the nose cone? Also would it be beefy enough to handle 2.0 or a 2.5 liter engine?
73 Westy with a 411 engine (Finally Finished)
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My bus is a 77 with faded blue seats that are in poor shape and do not match the green interior. I picked up a beautiful set of black seat covers made by TMI from a guy about a year ago for an awesome price. Horsehair pads arrive tomorrow and I was sizing things up and these seat covers are not going to work. They appear to fit over frames with hooks style and not wedged into the frame like mine are. There are no part numbers on the covers so maybe they go to a different year? All I have is what is written on the box in sharpie. So I guess I will just end up getting the proper green plaid ones that belong which is fine.

Are Westy seat frames different/unique or are they the same for all other busses of the same year(s)?
Does anyone know potentially what year seats I currently have? I want to ensure new green ones will fit these frames I have.

The tracks are original and have not been molested so I assume any late seat cover would fit?

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Many different seats over the years...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7517991#7517991
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Many different seats over the years...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7517991#7517991

Oh my goodness... how did I not see that? Embarassed Thank you Kent.
oldfield626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

New VW owner here. Long story short, when I bought a 69 baywindow about 2 years ago, my ex picked it up and housed it until I had the room to take it (stupid idea, I know). I'm still in the dark about the title, they said they had it but then said there never was one. I don't even know how to contact the person I bought it from in the first place. There's a very unlikely chance I'll be getting an original title. So I looked for the vin and chassis but I couldn't find it anywhere, however I do have the original engine and engine code. I was wondering if there was a way I could register/get a title or anything I can do with just the engine code?
I really appreciate any feedback, thank you!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

That doesn't sound promising, have another look for a VIN in the locations shown below:

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 427, 428, 429 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 428 of 515

Jump to: