Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 444, 445, 446 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

bobby jay wrote:
I was looking over a '78 Westy to see if I would buy it. Battery was dead so I took it out to have it recharged. Went to install it at dusk, in the rain, outside. Hooked up pos to neg and touch the neg to pos. Smoke rose out of my alternator. Bought it anyway. Wondering if I burned up alternator or fried the wires. Any exerience with this kind of idiocy?

Yes you probably burned the diodes out and if any other electronics in the bus were on you might have damaged them as well, hopefully not though.

Read up on the "too" long stud on the replacement alternators and the "too" large washer on the D+ stud, as these issues must be addressed or you will kill your new alternator when you put it in.

It is common on older rigs for the colors of the battery cables to not be correct. It is a good idea to get some black and red electrical tape and make your ground wire black and your positive wire red. Assuming your cables are the original skinny wire with junky replacement style ends, now would be a great time to go to a larger gauge wire with new ends. Using Vasoline on the battery posts and inside and outside the terminals should give you decades of trouble free service out of your new cables.

Also if you intend to leave you bus sitting for more than a few weeks at a time disconnect the negative cable before doing so.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon May 18, 2020 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

bobby jay wrote:
I was looking over a '78 Westy to see if I would buy it. Battery was dead so I took it out to have it recharged. Went to install it at dusk, in the rain, outside. Hooked up pos to neg and touch the neg to pos. Smoke rose out of my alternator. Bought it anyway. Wondering if I burned up alternator or fried the wires. Any experience with this kind of idiocy?

Wiring should be ok, but your alternator will need a rebuild. New alternators don't seem to last as long as the originals, but they're cheap and readily available. If you have a local starter rebuilder, you can support a local business and end up with a quality product that you KNOW fits.

Be aware that the positive post and washer are too long on new alternators and they will short out against the metal cover plate, melting the wiring harness. You must modify the new one to avoid it.

Let us know if you hav questions. Smile
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

bobby jay wrote:
I was looking over a '78 Westy to see if I would buy it. Battery was dead so I took it out to have it recharged. Went to install it at dusk, in the rain, outside. Hooked up pos to neg and touch the neg to pos. Smoke rose out of my alternator. Bought it anyway. Wondering if I burned up alternator or fried the wires. Any exerience with this kind of idiocy?

You may have fried the voltage regulator as well, take it with you when you go to get the alternator rebuilt and have them test it.

I did the exact same thing a few years ago (dark garage, was excited to show my Dad it was running again). Alternator needed a rebuild and VR was toast. Try and find a good used one, I bought 2 beru VR's and they were both junk. I had no issues with the wiring though.
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Sink strainer Reply with quote

Two stupid questions...

I have a 77 westy with the standard (non deluxe) layout. Did the sink come originally with a strainer and/or sink plug? Is this something that a standard RV supply would have?

I have my sink out right now for cleaning and repair. What was the tape on the underside of the metal sink itself? This goes around the edge. Should there be a thin foam to act as a gasket between the sink and wood top?
'65 Honda Dream
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sink strainer Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:
Two stupid questions...

I have a 77 westy with the standard (non deluxe) layout. Did the sink come originally with a strainer and/or sink plug? Is this something that a standard RV supply would have?

I have my sink out right now for cleaning and repair. What was the tape on the underside of the metal sink itself? This goes around the edge. Should there be a thin foam to act as a gasket between the sink and wood top?

Yes on the RV supply store having sink hole/drain things, I'm not sure on what was under the sink lip, I'd be considering a putty tape like you would use for window installation myself.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mattink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Can widebody be converted to a standard bed? Reply with quote

I’ve seen Brazilian and European single cab widebodies in Samba classifieds, but never an original US import, pre chicken tax. Were widebodies unpopular here? Can a widebody vw single cab be converted to standard bed “relatively” easily?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobby jay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks. Found a Bosch alternator rebuilt. Will give that a try.
scottmatlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have a 1970 with a 002 3 rib transaxle. Will a 1973 002 3 rib fit? I would imagine the bell housing is difference since the engine is different, but is that something that can be swapped from the old transaxle?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

scottmatlock wrote:
I have a 1970 with a 002 3 rib transaxle. Will a 1973 002 3 rib fit? I would imagine the bell housing is difference since the engine is different, but is that something that can be swapped from the old transaxle?

Welcome!
The 73 transmission will fit no problem, bellhousing as well, but you'll have to swap the input shaft in from your old one, the 73's is longer.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
scottmatlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
scottmatlock wrote:

Welcome!
The 73 transmission will fit no problem, bellhousing as well, but you'll have to swap the input shaft in from your old one, the 73's is longer.

Thank you! That is great to know. Output shaft/flanges are the same and will work with my existing CVs as well, I assume?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

scottmatlock wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
scottmatlock wrote:

Welcome!

Thank you! That is great to know. Output shaft/flanges are the same and will work with my existing CVs as well, I assume?

Yes, you may have to use the nose cone off the old one as well, the front mounts are slightly different.

Слава Україні!
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Been a few years since I've had cause to take the engine out...I still don't really, but all these gallery pics of shiny engine bays have left me wanting to make more out of mine...filled it up with rustproofing when I restored the bus, but now I'm craving shininess.

In the past, I've bodged things together with firewood to hold the engine when it's out of the bus. I no longer have either a wood fire, or a back that really enjoys hard labour.

What do you use to store your engine on when it's out of the bus, and where on the engine do you have the support? I've never stood mine on the heater boxes or the heads in general, doesn't make for the most stable of stands...and of course, the bit I want to support is the bit where I want to put the jack when it's time to go back in...

'73 westy, 1700 type 4 with 34icts
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I've seen Samba members refer to their Bay Window bus/vans as a "Microbus".
But I've always thought Microbus referred to the Splitties, which were smaller than the Bays.
Am I wrong?
Wouldn't be the first time...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
I've seen Samba members refer to their Bay Window bus/vans as a "Microbus".
But I've always thought Microbus referred to the Splitties, which were smaller than the Bays.
Am I wrong?
Wouldn't be the first time...

Micro bus in the rest of the world, Station wagon in North America to circumvent the chicken tax.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jalabert wrote:
Been a few years since I've had cause to take the engine out...I still don't really, but all these gallery pics of shiny engine bays have left me wanting to make more out of mine...filled it up with rustproofing when I restored the bus, but now I'm craving shininess.

In the past, I've bodged things together with firewood to hold the engine when it's out of the bus. I no longer have either a wood fire, or a back that really enjoys hard labour.

What do you use to store your engine on when it's out of the bus, and where on the engine do you have the support? I've never stood mine on the heater boxes or the heads in general, doesn't make for the most stable of stands...and of course, the bit I want to support is the bit where I want to put the jack when it's time to go back in...

I leave it on the jack, but for longer term storage an 8-10" pile of scrap lumber under each heat exchanger works too and lets you remove the jack. Alternately an old tire is a good place to sit it down on if you have a small crane or strong helpers.

Слава Україні!
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks BD, that sounds easy. For some reason I always thought resting on the heat exchangers was a no-no...definitely make my life a lot easier!

'73 westy, 1700 type 4 with 34icts
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Jalabert wrote:
Thanks BD, that sounds easy. For some reason I always thought resting on the heat exchangers was a no-no...definitely make my life a lot easier!

You can temporarily set it on the heat exchangers and then pick one side up and slide blocks under the case to do the long term support.

That said, if I am going to be disassembling the engine I will often remove the heat exchangers while the engine is still in the car to get them out of the way early.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Now I've done it. I finally got my upper torsion arms off. and managed to get the new uppers back on. went to put the lower arms on and had a hard time, found out that one of my leaf springs is broken in the middle. It never ends. Now I have to order a new set and wait for shipping.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Now I've done it. I finally got my upper torsion arms off. and managed to get the new uppers back on. went to put the lower arms on and had a hard time, found out that one of my leaf springs is broken in the middle. It never ends. Now I have to order a new set and wait for shipping.

I feel your pain brother. Two steps forward, one step back. Sad

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bodewinham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Alright everybody ive got a pretty simple question. I noticed that there was a tube (not quite sure the name for it) that was undone in this sort of three way intersection connection of other tubes that wasnt connected to anything. My left (very dirty) index finger is pointing to the one that was undone (located right at the top front of the engine bay), i plugged it in to the top of the black soda can thing (again not sure the name) to the right of the engine bay, right next to the battery. Im afraid i plugged it into the wrong thing so did i do this right/plug it into the right thing? and what would happen if i would have left that tube unplugged? and what does that black soda can thing do?

thanks in advance, my apologies for not knowing the correct terminology
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 444, 445, 446 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 445 of 515

Jump to: