Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 461, 462, 463 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Are front door handles interchangeable? Will a passenger side one work on the driver's side and vice-versa?

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
Are front door handles interchangeable? Will a passenger side one work on the driver's side and vice-versa?

Yep, they’ll work fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:

Yep, they’ll work fine.

Good to know! I need to suss out why my passenger side likes unlocking more than my driver's side.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
airschooled wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:

Yep, they’ll work fine.

Good to know! I need to suss out why my passenger side likes unlocking more than my driver's side.

Does it stay locked if you push the inner lock knob closed and shut the door?, if so then you are missing the spring which also aids unlocking from the outside: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476461

A fully functional latch won't let you lock the keys inside.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:
airschooled wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:

Yep, they’ll work fine.

Does it stay locked if you push the inner lock knob closed and shut the door?, if so then you are missing the spring which also aids unlocking from the outside: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476461

Yes, it locks and stays locked just fine. It occasionally unlocks just fine. Sometimes I have to turn the key down and then up. And sometimes nothing happens.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Rod length (bend) adjustment is critical on the 69-73 setup with the “flapper” locking tab instead of the 68/74-9 “post” style lock. Also, the black plastic finger guard in the handle should be removed for testing. (It can interfere with the locking tab, especially if aftermarket.)

Swapping the handles side to side would be a good differential diagnosis. Don’t over-tighten the hex screws, the handles strip easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Rod length (bend) adjustment is critical on the 69-73 setup with the “flapper” locking tab instead of the 68/74-9 “post” style lock. Also, the black plastic finger guard in the handle should be removed for testing. (It can interfere with the locking tab, especially if aftermarket.)

Swapping the handles side to side would be a good differential diagnosis. Don’t over-tighten the hex screws, the handles strip easily.

Roger that. No idea if any part of the setup is aftermarket. But this all gives me some solid stuff to look at maybe this weekend. Hope you all have rad Thanksgivings.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:
airschooled wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:

Yep, they’ll work fine.

Yes, it locks and stays locked just fine. It occasionally unlocks just fine. Sometimes I have to turn the key down and then up. And sometimes nothing happens.

Then it's broken, take the latch unit out, clean it well and fix the spring, you'll be rewarded with effortless key action.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Okay, so the kids needed some time outside before dinner and I figured I'd pull the door panel to see what my issue is.

Yes, that little spring is definitely missing from the latch mechanism. Where can I get one?
Before the door handle is pulled.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After the door handle is pulled (note it definitely doesn't spring back into place).

But I also found that part of the latch is hitting and rubbing on the window guide.

So I loosened it up a bit until the latch moved more freely. Still going to need the spring and a proper clean'n'lube.

Also noticed that if I pull the key out a fraction of an inch before turning it, it has a better chance of unlocking it.

NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ah, I see Wolfsburg West has the spring. That's that sorted.

Still curious why the window guide would be rubbing on the mechanism.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
Ah, I see Wolfsburg West has the spring. That's that sorted.

Still curious why the window guide would be rubbing on the mechanism.

It looks like the outer skin of the door has been caved in, accident damage?, or maybe too many hip checks to get it closed? The plate that reinforces the outer handle looks slightly curved in from here.

Слава Україні!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Yeah, I pretty sure it is. Not sure if it was accident damage or just what, but with that screw out that holds the handle in place, you can see some separation between that and the door skin.

NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Well, this project just added a new dimension. I guess all that testing didn't help, but I suspect this was in my future regardless.

Any good tips on replacing a lock cylinder?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Probably already stressed from hitting that window track, buy a used handle and read this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312340&highlight=lock+tutorial

At least it pulled that move while the door was apart, nothing sucks like getting it all back together and it happening. Wink

Слава Україні!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Probably already stressed from hitting that window track, buy a used handle and read this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312340&highlight=lock+tutorial

At least it pulled that move while the door was apart, nothing sucks like getting it all back together and it happening. Wink

No kidding! You reckon I'm better off going with a used handle rather than just a lock cylinder?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

No kidding! You reckon I'm better off going with a used handle rather than just a lock cylinder?

Can you buy just the cylinder?, if so (and it's not made in China) then do it, but a used German one is sure to fit, many sellers will almost give away handles with blemished chrome, the parts you need will still be good.

Слава Україні!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Can you buy just the cylinder?, if so (and it's not made in China) then do it, but a used German one is sure to fit, many sellers will almost give away handles with blemished chrome, the parts you need will still be good.

Fair point. All the cylinders I've seen so far are NOS. Duly noted and thank you!

Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

This is a general question related to selling and payment options for my beetle I am selling. This is "stupid" because it is a shameless plug for my thread in the General Chat section. See question here.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Does the engine tin matter from years 72-78 heat exchangers?

Pretty sure my bus has engine tin from different years put together minus 79.
Wondering if I can just get early 72-74 heat exchangers and it'll work?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
Does the engine tin matter from years 72-78 heat exchangers?

Pretty sure my bus has engine tin from different years put together minus 79.
Wondering if I can just get early 72-74 heat exchangers and it'll work?

The sled tins and other lower tins need to match the exhaust, but with some cutting and bending it is possible to mix and match tins from various years. There are some differences in over cylinder tins from year to year, and two styles of alternator tin. The front tin above the engine has all sorts of variations over the years, but all can be adapted to use for other years if need be.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 461, 462, 463 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 462 of 515

Jump to: