Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 464, 465, 466 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
No cams, that thing must be a pain in the nuts to open or close. Shocked

Actually, it's not that bad! When it's cold, yeah, it's a little stiff. But when it's warm out, it does pop open.

Though, I figure now that I can get to stuff, I should just source a complete replacement of that unit, huh?

I would, the only way you'll find the missing parts is to buy another and part it out, a complete unit with less wear would definitely be easier.
I thought I saw new units for sale somewhere recently too (CIP?), I have no idea about the quality, but it may be worth a look.

I'll definitely hunt around a bit. Thanks for the confirmation!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

OK, My '74 is in the garage with the engine and trans out and the CV's wired to the suspension tubes, still attached to the wheels. I need to get the bus out of the garage and to a storage lot about two miles away. It will be there until I can get the engine squared away, a few months.

I can call AAA and have it flat bedded or I can rent a two-wheel tow dolly and do it myself. Could I roll the rear wheels onto the dolly for this short trip? Would I be better off getting thhe fronts on? Should I remove the CV's? WIll they spin while rolling if the rears are on the ground? Should I just go with the AAA and make it easy? I have the AAA premium so this would be one of my short tows. Thoughts?
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

One more question: I am about to pull the tank to hit it with ATF while it sits and waits for the new engine. I need to clean the engine bay. It's not too bad; a little dirt and grease and some black mildew looking funk. Again, not bad overall. Should I just have at it with elbow grease, Simple Green, and a bucket of water and brush? I have a pressure washer. Any thoughts on using that? Things to consider? All wires and lights are still present.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Okay. So a friend in Idaho had a correct sliding door track slider (does the part have an actual name? anyway...) for an early bay and it arrived today.

I've been referencing the Sliding Door Hinge Refresh FAQ thread a TON lately in preparing to swap these units out.

But I've noticed that the early bay has these spring loaded hook pieces oriented differently than the late bay in the thread has them.
Mine:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So now I'm trying to determine which way the little cam piece should face when I go to install it. (Understanding it's not perfectly centered on the hole in the following pics)

Naturally, my original is no help because those pieces are broken off and long gone.

Thanks in advance, fellas!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Don't forget the gallery, there's often a few pics that show what you are looking for (later part, same cams):

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

But that still has the upper hook piece oriented differently than mine. But I did find an early one in the classifieds (didn't think to look there before) that shows me the orientation.

RocketA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I love how with engine stuff this thread is right to the point with a clear answer. Got to the engine forum and people have a million opinions even about the basics!

I'm measuring stuff for a build and I wonder

--When micing journals on a crank how do you manage to not scuff or scratch them? A little oil or do they have to be dry?

--Same when popping the dial bore gauge in the bearings to check clearance. I guess I got too excited and I scuffed up the insides. Nothing I can feel with my nail but they look like poop. Same on the outsides of the bearings. A little oil on these too when micing and dialboring?
suspencervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm putting complete new wiring in my 1970 westy using the kit from bus depot, and have come across some parts that I am not entirely sure how to use.
In the wiring diagram there are a couple of connectors labelled t1, t2, t3, and t4 throughout that are not described / identified in the key. I found the corresponding parts in my old wiring, but don't trust that they are still in their original locations. The replacement parts I have are one connector that is three wide and one that is twelve wide :

Are they intended to be used a full pieces, or should I split them so that there are multiple pieces with just enough connectors for each location shown on the diagram?
Thanks!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

RocketA wrote:
I love how with engine stuff this thread is right to the point with a clear answer. Got to the engine forum and people have a million opinions even about the basics!

I'm measuring stuff for a build and I wonder

--When micing journals on a crank how do you manage to not scuff or scratch them? A little oil or do they have to be dry?

--Same when popping the dial bore gauge in the bearings to check clearance. I guess I got too excited and I scuffed up the insides. Nothing I can feel with my nail but they look like poop. Same on the outsides of the bearings. A little oil on these too when micing and dialboring?

A little oil might help, but some marks are pretty much inevitable. A little polish with crocus cloth usually fixes them.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

suspencervw wrote:
I'm putting complete new wiring in my 1970 westy using the kit from bus depot, and have come across some parts that I am not entirely sure how to use.
In the wiring diagram there are a couple of connectors labelled t1, t2, t3, and t4 throughout that are not described / identified in the key. I found the corresponding parts in my old wiring, but don't trust that they are still in their original locations. The replacement parts I have are one connector that is three wide and one that is twelve wide :

[img]pic[/img]

Are they intended to be used a full pieces, or should I split them so that there are multiple pieces with just enough connectors for each location shown on the diagram?
Thanks!

There's no place for a 12 hole connector, it must be intended to be cut apart as needed.
As to locations, that will become self evident as you start to connect things.

Слава Україні!
Koeppler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I just got a brand new OEM engine case. What would be the best way to clean it before I start measuring, mocking up and assembling?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

suspencervw wrote:
In the wiring diagram there are a couple of connectors labelled t1, t2, t3, and t4 throughout that are not described / identified in the key.

?They're in the key in the diagrams in my Bentley manual? Although it's not terribly helpful to be told "T3 - Cable connector,
triple". Also the diagram for the '70 (and others) bus is not accurate, as it shows a T5 connector with 7 wires in and out, etc.

Those WW connectors you show look to be a fairly accurate reproduction of the ones VW used. The wire with the locking
male tab would go into the left side, and the matching wire with the female tab goes in from the right. At least that's
how the VW ones worked.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Koeppler wrote:
I just got a brand new OEM engine case. What would be the best way to clean it before I start measuring, mocking up and assembling?

…do you live alone and have a dishwasher? Twisted Evil

Simple Green has been doing weird stuff to my soft metal parts recently, I think there was a formula change.

I usually pay the local shop to tank my cases "clean enough" so I can take them to the local pay-n-spray car wash for a pressurized hot soapy water wash. Then it's into a big clear storage bin full of hot water and either Tide or dish soap. A few hours with kitchen gloves and scrub brushes gets it where I want it for assembly measuring. I repeat the scrub tub part before assembly.

In 2017 one of the three cases I had on hand had an oil pickup tube so out of alignment I had to bend shit with screwdrivers… Not happy… Check EVERYTHING before gluing it together!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

suspencervw wrote:

Are these just the plastic insulators of the connectors? I don't see any brass inside them at all.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I think those clear connectors use these as the internal part, inserted from the left/logo side:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-conn...iALoC%2BQA

Thanks to Telford for documenting all the connectors!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675638
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Koeppler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Koeppler wrote:

…do you live alone and have a dishwasher? Twisted Evil

Simple Green has been doing weird stuff to my soft metal parts recently, I think there was a formula change.

I usually pay the local shop to tank my cases "clean enough" so I can take them to the local pay-n-spray car wash for a pressurized hot soapy water wash. Then it's into a big clear storage bin full of hot water and either Tide or dish soap. A few hours with kitchen gloves and scrub brushes gets it where I want it for assembly measuring. I repeat the scrub tub part before assembly.

In 2017 one of the three cases I had on hand had an oil pickup tube so out of alignment I had to bend shit with screwdrivers… Not happy… Check EVERYTHING before gluing it together!

Robbie

I don’t live alone and I don’t have a dishwasher. I have a bathtub though so I’ll use that. I didn’t realize even a brand new case right out the box needed so much cleaning!!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have found bearing-destroying chunks lurking in the bottom of my tubs after cleaning new cases… We are the oil filters on a Type 1 engine!
Sven F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I was just curious if anyone knows the origins of the term "rock & roll bed"?
Was it ever a brand or a generic term for camping beds?
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Sven F wrote:
Hi guys.

I was just curious if anyone knows the origins of the term "rock & roll bed"?
Was it ever a brand or a generic term for camping beds?

Well, I'll hazard a guess that it had to do with being able to park in a remote spot and "rock and roll" with your date in much more comfortable conditions than say a beetle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

it refers to the fact that the bed rocks and rolls into place. It folds out in a rocking fashion.

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 464, 465, 466 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 465 of 515

Jump to: