Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 468, 469, 470 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Aircooled.net list several as does The Type 4 Store. I would think Busdepot and the CB Performance likely would as well, I am sure there are others.
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

From the research I've done, this manufacturer (link below) is supposed to be a source of some of the best quality camshafts for Type IV's. I put a stock grind along with their lifters in my Type IV rebuild.

Do some google shopping to find the best deal.

http://www.webcamshafts.com/

Regards,
Mike
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

webcam with new lifters went in mine. trouble free, good power, stock grind. quick shipping. follow their directions regarding initial breakin. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Real basic question - does the heater fan run all the time or is it somehow switched? The electric one that mounts to the roof of the engine bay.

My bus didn't come with any of the cabin heating parts so I've never seen them in action.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
Real basic question - does the heater fan run all the time or is it somehow switched? The electric one that mounts to the roof of the engine bay.

My bus didn't come with any of the cabin heating parts so I've never seen them in action.

It's switched by the heater lever in the dash, runs when the lever is down and the engine is running (some later models don't need to have the engine going for the fan to come on).

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/75bus.php

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:

The heater booster fan only supplements the air flow at or near idle and does almost nothing when the engine is revved a bit. If you do not have the fan just block off the tubes coming up from the heat exchangers so you don't waste your precious heated air.

Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I didn't realize there was an electric switch attached to the heat lever in the dash. I've tracked down all the parts, just figuring out how it all ties together.
Super excited to have even a tiny amount of heat.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
Thanks guys! I didn't realize there was an electric switch attached to the heat lever in the dash. I've tracked down all the parts, just figuring out how it all ties together.
Super excited to have even a tiny amount of heat.

Search out the Blumaxx thread, it is possible to get many times the heat into the cab as a stock system puts out.
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have a type 4 cam and lifters that have been mixed up and need to be resurfaced. Would this be something any common local machine shop should be able to do or do they need to go to a VW specific machine shop? And is it just the lifters or the cam too?
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Back with another stupid heating system question!

How hot do the heater/blower pipes that come in and out of the exchange heater get?

To be more specific, do they get hot enough to need high-temp paint? There's lots of airflow, but they also connect to the exhaust.

I'm referring to the parts painted black in this photo:

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Maybe 400°F on a long hard pull.
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Maybe 400°F on a long hard pull.

High temp paint it is, thanks.
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

1973 late bay. (production date 11/72) late style ATE calipers.

so here's a REALLY stupid question: Which caliper goes on which side?? I'm finding conflicting information wether the "shoulder" bolt should be in the upper or lower hole?

photo of the right hand side, is this correct? (shoulder bolt on the lower end)

Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hello,
As per Bentley. The "locating (lower) bolt" goes in first....
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Can the rear (left side, in this case) vent window and rubber be replaced without replacing the rubber of the fixed window next to it? Or is the only good way to get the vent window portion in is to have the fixed window out?

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
Can the rear (left side, in this case) vent window and rubber be replaced without replacing the rubber of the fixed window next to it? Or is the only good way to get the vent window portion in is to have the fixed window out?

The vent can be removed separately, Bentley describes the procedure well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:

The vent can be removed separately, Bentley describes the procedure well.

I'll dig out my Bentley. Thanks!!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have a question for the Dual carbureted T4 engines. Did people often not strap the battery in and then would the battery fly out and destroy the right hand carb? I ask because the junkyard I go to had 4 left hand carbs for a dual carb setup, the classifieds have an abundance of left hand ones. It’s puzzling there is such an abundance of left but very few right hand ones. We’re right hand carbs mistaken for single carbs?

TIA for your answers
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
. We’re right hand carbs mistaken for single carbs?

Plausible, when I worked at a Japanese wrecker years ago buyers for mass rebuilders would come by and purchase piles of calipers, starters, carbs, etc.. for cores, maybe they were the "non oddball" looking ones and went into the heap with the rest of them?

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

How did late late bays attach the rear armrests? I have a 77 here with holes in the panels but no attachment points like Bentley shows... Fgure 6-6, body and frame.

Thanks!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 468, 469, 470 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 469 of 515

Jump to: