Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 480, 481, 482 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
I would think that a moderately hard double thick washer with USS proportions would add a safety factor to a failing coupling as it cracks and rips with age.

Like a head stud washer?

Yes, just need to find such for such a small bolt.

I actually have a nice assortment of double thickness washers I bought from Fastenal.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

D/A/N wrote:
It strikes me that one washer between only one side of the coupler and the column would cause the column to sit unevenly on the coupler ...

You don't get quantity of parts required from the illustration, especially things like bolts/nuts/washers. The quantity is specified
in the accompanying legend, along with p/n, description, etc. My VW parts book specifies 4 bolts & 4 nuts. The missing washers
must have been an oversight. I can't imagine anyone letting a nut or bolt head bear directly on the thin metal bushing in the
coupler.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

As I can't find the Custom Wheels and Tires thread (can we make that a Sticky?), I post this here.

I am thinking of going with T4 15" Steel Wheels that have an offset of 44mm. I know there are more tires available for these wheels.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1) As I keep getting Offset wrong in my head, will I need a spacer for these wheels?

2) Will I need C rated tires for these wheels? Any suggestions?

3) Will I need different wheel studs/bolts for these rims?

4) Does the center bore hole of these rims need to be enlarged?

Thank you.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I’m in the process of rebuilding the rear brakes on my 74 bus. When reassembling, does the rear wheel hub go onto the stub axle dry or is any lube used?
1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Duplicate deleted
1966 Beetle

Last edited by SevenOaks on Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

A light coat of never seez won't hurt.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks!
1966 Beetle
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi,
I come to remove my T2 bay 75 rear hub nuts and I find my socket is 45mm, the castle nut is 46.

But I've had these off in the past to fit new brake cylinders... so my stupid Q is "what on the bus is 45mm"... I just can't figure why I own this socket as it seems useless...

the hunt for the 46 goes on

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

pgtips wrote:
Hi,
I come to remove my T2 bay 75 rear hub nuts and I find my socket is 45mm, the castle nut is 46.

But I've had these off in the past to fit new brake cylinders... so my stupid Q is "what on the bus is 45mm"... I just can't figure why I own this socket as it seems useless...

the hunt for the 46 goes on

1 13/16 in. socket also works fine instead of 46 mm. Big sockets also have use when working on bus as press tools
for installing oil seals, rear wheel bearings, etc.

AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

1980 thru 1991 Transmissions question..

Assuming the Van to be on a level spot.

With the proper quantity of oil in these transmissions, how far up on the side of the transmission is the level? Is it equal to the bottom of the fill hole?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
1980 thru 1991 Transmissions question..

Assuming the Van to be on a level spot.

With the proper quantity of oil in these transmissions, how far up on the side of the transmission is the level? Is it equal to the bottom of the fill hole?

Yes, fill until it runs back out the fill hole.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Arnie_the_T2Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: No Riv owner, first (of many) question Reply with quote

Ran into my first issue....no power

Hooked up a new battery and turned the key. Loud noise from under the bus, which I suspect is the fuel pump. Tested the lights and wipers (they all worked). No start at the motor though.

Turned everything off and went to get the gf. Turned key back on, hear the fuel pump, pull knob to turn on lights and everything dies. No fuel pump noise, no lights, nothing. I might have tripped a main fuse/breaker somewhere....

It not the mess of a fuse panel under the dash. But all of those in intact and those seem to be all the smaller circuits (lights, blowers, etc). Where would I find a main power panel?

I've been pouring over the this thread, but 'no power' bring up all kinds of random posts.

Thanks!

PFA

AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Arnie

Check all grounds ...... anywhere there is a ground !
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

There is no "main power" panel. Bus (and most other VW vehicles discussed in these forums) circuit diagrams are available under the Technical > Wiring menu at the top of the page.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Arnie, please click on the control panel text at the top left of this (or any) page, then enter the year and model of your bus in the signature portion of your profile, questions like this would be better answered with some clues to start out with.

As for the question, as others have mentioned grounds, or batter cable connections and terminals are the likely cause of the problem. Or maybe the big red/white wire came off that rats nest of a fuse box.

Слава Україні!
Arnie_the_T2Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Arnie, please click on the control panel text at the top left of this (or any) page, then enter the year and model of your bus in the signature portion of your profile, questions like this would be better answered with some clues to start out with.

As for the question, as others have mentioned grounds, or batter cable connections and terminals are the likely cause of the problem. Or maybe the big red/white wire came off that rats nest of a fuse box.

Apologies....updated!

And thanks for the input on my electrical issue
1986 BMW 535i - race car
Other other: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
1998 Dodge 3500 van - camper conversion in progress
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,
What am I missing here? I'm trying to put my brake handle back in and these parts are not lining up. I even took before pictures, everything appears to look right but the brake handle is not lining up at all unless I start bending stuff. Any Suggestions?

In this picture, you can see where the bracket comes to if I put not pressure on the parts.

That's how far off the two parts are.

Another Question I have my booster and master cylinder that I am replacing and do not need the old ones. Is there any place that will pay the shipping to take them or is there a market to sell/send them to?

Im saving the reservoir off the master

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

2 stupid questions...

what size is the spark plug socket for a T1 motor?
I went through all the ones I have, and none fit. I am certain I used to have one, but apparently it's gone.

This one is harder...
What size bolts hold on the splash pan for a '68?
I bought a splash pan awhile back, but have yet to install it due to lack of fasteners. I want to buy a tap to clean up the rusty threads first, but I'm unsure what fasteners it is supposed to use.

Thanks

My 1968 Campmobile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Splash pan bolts: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

And the spark plugs should be 13/16"

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Charlie57 wrote:
Hey Everyone,
What am I missing here? I'm trying to put my brake handle back in and these parts are not lining up. I even took before pictures, everything appears to look right but the brake handle is not lining up at all unless I start bending stuff.

Bending stuff how?, I suspect the ratchet pawl is almost vertical and preventing the rod from lifting up enough to line up with the clevis on the arm. Turn the handle and pull it out a bit while holding the forward end up, then keep holding it while you slide it forward into position.

Your dead booster has value, there was someone looking for the front bellows and nipple here just the other day, put it in the classifieds as a core.

I'd save the switches from the master as well, new ones suck.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 480, 481, 482 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 481 of 515

Jump to: