Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 495, 496, 497 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Nicholas D wrote:
Thanks Robbie. I'm replacing my turn signal switch soon so I was just looking at that for now. That system appears to be identical between the two so it was really just a question of curiosity rather than necessity at this point.

Let us know if you find any other differences. I recall a grey/purple interchange issue with replacement switches through the years…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Koeppler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is chrome window trim for deluxe buses reusable? Or is it destroyed upon removal? If so where is the best source for new trim?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Koeppler wrote:
Is chrome window trim for deluxe buses reusable? Or is it destroyed upon removal? If so where is the best source for new trim?

I've recycled the aluminum stuff, the plastic was usually so faded I replaced it just because, but it could have been used again aside from the dullness.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
D/A/N wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:
D/A/N wrote:
Every few hundred miles, I’ve been winding up with a bit of fluid on the floor mat near the clutch pedal. The spray pattern is different each time. The base of the reservoir is slightly wet.

The reservoir cannot ever have pressure in it (unless the cap vent is plugged), so there cannot be "spray", just dribble from a leak, which evidently you have.
Is the fluid level too high? Should not get higher than 3/4" below cap threads. Is cap defective or leaking? Remember there's also fluid in the windshiel washer
tubing in the dash, I never had a leak-free experience for long in any of my VW's with that miserable system.

Just saw this a few days after you posted. The stuff that’s dribbling has a kind of slippery texture to it so I assumed brake fluid. Plus the cracked ABS kick panel. But the fluid level does seem high. Just for fun, I’ll give it a sniff next time and see if it smells like wiper fluid. It’s a weird spot for it to be brake fluid. Why would it pool up in a place so far away from the leak source with no leak trail. Either way, gotta flush the fluid as busdaddy said. It sure has been a while.

Any chance it's grease from the speedo cable?

I can finally verify that it’s brake fluid. I spotted another bit on the floor mat as well as a droplet forming at the base of the reservoir. Guess I’ve got to poke around a bit more. It’s almost as if the reservoir is sweating fluid. It’s a wee bit wet around the cap and then it seems to drip down to the base and then to the floor.

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
hockeymatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Now that I've found this thread (after several years here) I find I am the perfect person to add to it.

I'm putting back my brackets in the 77 Riviera and the bolt holes I used were accidentally welded over (by a friend while I was on a break).

So...can someone with a Riv please lmk how far the holes are drilled on the floor from the Back? I've figured out the rest of the dimensions. Also, were they drilled out on the hills or in the valleys of the corrugated floor?

Thanks, Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Koeppler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My wife decided to adjust the front brakes on our bus. She took a test drive. She texted me that there was a bad smell. She came back and both front drums were SMOKING!!!

I will buy new shoes at a minimum. How do I know if I need new drums? I fixed the adjustment and it brakes good and the pedal and feels fine.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Koeppler wrote:
My wife decided to adjust the front brakes on our bus. She took a test drive. She texted me that there was a bad smell. She came back and both front drums were SMOKING!!!

I will buy new shoes at a minimum. How do I know if I need new drums? I fixed the adjustment and it brakes good and the pedal and feels fine.

It would wobble or pulse if you needed drums.
Pull the drums and have a look at the shoes, if they are riddled with tiny cracks, horribly discolored or debonding from the frames replace them, if not deglaze them with sandpaper (beware of dust) and run them.
Also repack the wheel bearings while it's apart, getting that warm may have melted it out of where it should be.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Koeppler wrote:

When you adjust the brakes you need to be wary of dragging brakes for the first hundred miles or so, especially the first 10-20 miles. Typically a very light drag is okay, but a heavy drag is not. Was the parking brake on perhaps?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Was the parking brake on perhaps?

Koeppler wrote:
My wife decided to adjust the front brakes on our bus

Слава Україні!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Koeppler wrote:
My wife decided to adjust the front brakes on our bus.

Regardless of how the job went, can we get a little round of applause for this gent's wife for tucking into a job like this? Seriously.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
Koeppler wrote:
My wife decided to adjust the front brakes on our bus.

Regardless of how the job went, can we get a little round of applause for this gent's wife for tucking into a job like this? Seriously.

Good point! Cool

Although......, was it really the wife?, or is she a convenient scapegoat to blame a fuck up on? Razz

Слава Україні!
neena
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Our driver’s side door wasn’t closing right and then I noticed we’re missing one of these here screws. What size screws are they? I want to pick up a new one plus a few spares just in case

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'70 Riviera. 1600 SP with 30 PICT 3 carburetor, 205M distributor, stock muffler

@chaseyessi on Instagram
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

M6x1.0 thread, not very long, maybe 15mm? Knowing VW it was probably something unavailable, like 12mm length.. I don’t think extra length will hurt anything.

Have fun!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

https://vwispwest.com/screw-striker-screw-csk-raised-hd-5-x-12-n142761/

The page title above seems to be incorrect

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Just a standard M6 flat head or oval head bolt, your local hardware may well have it in stock.
PetetheVWguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey folks. Buying a new pair of cylinder heads for my current rebuild. (78 2.0l)
Decided to go with new ones this time instead of reconditioning the old beat heads. Any recommendations in terms of brand and supplier? The customer service rep at autohausaz.com didn’t know if the heads they have in stock are sodium filled or not. I don’t want to buy based off my assumptions, so any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, have a good one.
-Pete
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I doubt if you could find heads with sodium filled valve stems any more. No clue what autohausaz.com might be actually selling but likely AMC heads if they are new ones and not rebuilt ones. If so the castings are probably fine but the hardware is questionable and many people just routinely replace the hardware when they buy new heads.
Pottsalot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Possible stupid question, will a treasure chest door from a 66-67 single cab fit a 68-71 single cab? They look close on paper. Does any have a measurement for a 67 single cab chest door?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Fits the hole, louvers and latch diffeer a little, requires some rework IIRC.

Слава Україні!
Pottsalot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks daddy! Thinking about grabbing a pair from klassic fab at 30% off this Friday.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 495, 496, 497 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 496 of 515

Jump to: